Big Brother Alert: Government airport searches of iPods for ...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacBytes, Jul 28, 2008.

1. MacBytes macrumors bot

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

WAR IS PEACE (Iraq?)
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY (searches?)
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH (general U.S. population?)

3. Awaken macrumors member

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

1. How would they know? If i'd bought an album at home and ripped the CD, how would anyone be able to tell?

2. Don't they have better things to do like stopping people smuggling weapons/drugs onto planes? Who gives a **** about pirated music?

5. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

How in the world are those airport screeners going to be able to tell whether the files are pirated or legitimate?? And that's simply not the business of the airports to get in the business of DRM enforcement. They'll have to pry my iPod/iPhone and all of it's legitimately purchased iTunes music out of my cold dead hands.

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

With the current draconian government in the U.S. I'm sure they would be glad to oblige.

There is no way in hell airport screeners could screen for pirated software. Period.

That concept REALLY comes under unreasonable searches covered under the constitution.

7. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

Copyright enforcement is merely the "probable cause" to search. The real target is other data on those devices being transferred beyond the otherwise watchful eye of Echelon and its replacements over telcos, the internet, faxes, radio, satellite, microwave and others.

We are in an information security environment and no silly constitution is going to stand in the way of the government surveiling each and every transaction of free peoples under their dominion, control, or jurisdiction.

Rocketman

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Can someone make sure I'm right in my perception of the laws in question?

I have a DVD and a CD.

I upload the CD and HandBrake the DVD to my computer. I do not sell the DVD or CD.

I may have and use the computer copy of the media. (legal, right?)

I may NOT sell the DVD or CD. (that would be illegal, right?)

I do not make multiple copies of the digital files and redistribute them for free OR a price (that would be illegal, right?)

I do not make multiple copies of physical media with the data on them and redistribute them for free OR a price (that would be illegal, right?)

Just want to make sure before I start arguing.

9. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

This is absolutely ridiculous and absurd. I understand searches in the airport in hopes of preventing terroristic acts, but this would have not benefit in the safety of passengers. The time and money of consumers would be wasted for no other reason aside for making sure that large corporations make more money.

10. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

exactly..I guess the program I saw on CNET which covered creating a hiddened HD in your computer will actually be useful...the purpose of the program is to allow you to create a HD that you can log into if someone forces you to log on to your computer...the secret HD where all your real vital data is hidden and only you know it's there...if the government passes this law, I will buy the program ASAP:mad:

11. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I don't understand why they have the need to spend the time or authority to search a person's iPod for illegally downloaded songs. I don't really see them getting all that far with these searches as to if they even do them, but the author of that article does have a point about the fact that the thought of searching an iPod has come this far. I don't have a huge library, I have about 650 songs on my computer, and 400 of those on my iPod. More than half of my music is ripped from CDs that I own, but how is one to prove this? I just don't see how airport security has the authority or legal reasoning to search and iPod in means of the public's safety at an airport.

12. Bob Knob macrumors 6502

What about my copyrights?
    If I write a story or a song and they read/hear it without my permission or paying me they have violated my copyright.

13. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Nice:p

Cool:cool:

If you are in the US it is illegal due to DMCA I think (Not American (Thank the lord, No offence) so not 100% sure)

Yhup Illegal as can be.

Yes Illegal even if you you give it away.

Yes Illegal even if you you give it away.

Answered them all.

For the topic don't care if they search about this as if the did search my iPod how can they prove it was D/Led illegally? so no worries:p.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

But the problem with that is that if they deem that as "probable cause", they must (by law) follow due process, and get a warrant to search. Otherwise, violation of the 4th Amendment of the US Constitution.

In layman's terms, The 4th Amendment specifies that any warrant must be judicially sanctioned for a search, and such a warrant must be supported by probable cause. So yes, they may consider this 'probable cause', but a warrant must still be obtained. If they can't do it, they get the law slapped in their face.

This won't be enforceable, and if it makes it to law, almost immediately struck down.

BL.

15. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

Sooo then

I would be busted for loading my brothers itunes onto a flash drive????? What would be the difference if I burnt a friend a CD and he or she put it on their ipod. This is so stupid and if its true, then I am sure as hell not proud to be apart of this country.

16. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

And what about other media players? are they going to want to search a Zune or another mp3 player?

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So it's illegal to have a backup of my media when I don't sell the media in question? That would mean it's illegal to back up the OS files of Leopard when you make a Time Machine backup.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Dixie Chicks, anyone?

BL.

19. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I said I think I'm not American but I think it is correct, But it is BS anyway.

20. batchtaster macrumors 65816

Clearly it's time to turn on FileVault, setup a second "clean" login account, and make use of those 256-bit encrypted disk images that Disk Utility can create.

I am ashamed of my country's government.

21. Moonlight macrumors 6502

Moonlight

No where does it say in the original article from the aussie site does it say the US is looking into doing this at our airports. Macinstien added that themselves.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

youve heard of the fisa bill right?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOA1YAglmUw

23. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Yes I've read it and nowhere does it include music piracy.

This thread is stupid. This concept will never get off the ground.

so to speak

24. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

And this is to protect our safety while on the airplane how?

Nobody move..or else I'll unleash my pirated media!!!! BOOOHAAA HAAAA (<-- evil laugh)

25. slu macrumors 68000

slu

No, per the DMCA it is illegal to circumvent DRM. Even if you are ripping a DVD you own, this is technically a violation of the DMCA.

Time Machine doesn't apply because you are not breaking any DRM. CD ripping does not apply either since they don't have DRM.