BIG fan of the new "always there" camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Mad Mac Maniac, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I honestly didn't expect to appreciate the new always there camera on the lock screen so much... I definitely expect to be using the iPhone camera a lot more now. Even though I could easily access it with iOS 5 it was out of sight, out of mind. But just that little reminder and ease of use is quite nice. It's a much bigger improvement than I was expecting it to be.

Has anyone else had this experience?

2. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

I'm quite the opposite. I feel that the lock screen now feels more cramped.

I'm all for the feature, but not shrinking the slider down for it. Could have been a much better way to implement it IMO.

3. ihonda macrumors 68000

people are always going to complain no matter what. i for one like it. wish it loaded quicker but like i said people will always complain ;)

4. LMD75 macrumors 6502

I am very happy with this but do feel that the jailbreak tweak to always show the camera icon looks nicer.

However I am still very pleased as I now have a quick option on my company iPhone.

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'm jailbroken and enjoy having the OPTION of not having the camera icon there but still able to swipe up from the bottom to begin taking pictures immediately. :D

6. Che Castro macrumors 603

Whats the name of that cydia tweak ?

7. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

+1

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Just plain old Activator. Set it to swipe up from bottom right and camera opens up (or pretty much anywhere you want.. you could set to press volume key to open up camera if you wanted). No need to see camera icon on lockscreen.

9. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Yes, and if you really think about it... this new option helps to save our home buttons (for those of us who take a lot of pictures). Previously, whenever I wanted to use my camera I had to double-tap the home button. Sounds silly but think of how many pictures this thing will be taking over the next year in my posession and at least another year after that in my wifes posession (she takes a TON of pics). It's literally cutting the number of presses (wear and tear) on the home button in half.

Again, it sounds silly and I'm not necessarily worried about the home button right now, but if you think about it... that adds up to a lot less pressing of one of the only physical buttons on the phone!

10. camardelle macrumors 6502

This is a great addition to the phone. Getting to the camera quicker is always good.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So does this mean that you are going to be checking your email, see the camera icon, and think "I better snap some pics instead!"? :confused:

12. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

No, I mean that it is a subconscious reminder that it is there. So now I will be more likely to use my iphone when a picture possible moment appears, because I will associate my iPhone with a camera more.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Ok, fair enough. I guess I never really forgot my phone has a camera feature. I always snap a pic when there is a pic-worthy moment. :)

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I LOVE the shortened throw of the Slide to Unlock.

I'm far more accurate now.

15. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

16. toondw macrumors 6502

Yup, much better! I may actually start using the camera more now just for quick pics.

17. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

That's a good point. It also helps that you can lock the phone again by sliding back down from the status bar (if you used the camera button on the lock screen to unlock the phone).

I also like the little bounce the lock screen does when you press on the camera button to let you know that you can slide up. That's really good interface design.

18. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I already find myself taking a lot more photos. And I love the ability to just swipe back down to get the lock screen back.

19. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I like it a lot, but I wish you could change the default camera. I prefer Camera+ to the native camera app, so it would be nice if I had direct access to that, instead. Either way, the camera unlock is convenient to have.

20. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Yeah I agree. But I think Im about ready to just abandon camera+ because I really don't need itat this point

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Enjoying not being able to delete your PhotoStream pics? :p (I keed, I keed)

22. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

23. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I like the new quick access slider much better than the double tap method. Thank you Apple!

24. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Don't use PhotoStream, but I do enjoy facetime on 3G while I'm out and about. ;)