Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Originally posted by MoparShaha
I think all of those things will happen, except iTunes 5. It just seems too early. They just released 4.2.

I'm not sure on the iTunes update either but 4.1 was to fix bugs and 4.2 was basically to allow AOL users to access the store. So 5 could be on it's way.

boskie

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2001
North Side Of Itchy Town
Everything but the iTunes update would seem logical.

The features mentioned from itunes would be great, however the screenshot seems a bit suss to me - not elegant enough for apple design and why does the Tempo i/p box say 141bps - beats-per-sec when it should be 141bpm - beats per minute. If anyone can mix with the speed of a hummingbird i'd love to see them scratch aswell.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Originally posted by boskie
Everything but the iTunes update would seem logical.

The features mentioned from itunes would be great, however the screenshot seems a bit suss to me - not elegant enough for apple design and why does the Tempo i/p box say 141bps - beats-per-sec when it should be 141bpm - beats per minute. If anyone can mix with the speed of a hummingbird i'd love to see them scratch aswell.

lmao at the huming bird comment but true...

hell iTunes 5 would be intresting and would they update the windows version as well...

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by Sabenth
lmao at the huming bird comment but true...

hell iTunes 5 would be intresting and would they update the windows version as well...

But as we make macs we must have some incentive for users to switch. Therefore from now on PC users will always be a version behind. You have four, we have five. You have five, we have six.

Of course this wont happen, they may delay it by a month or so.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
iTunes parity

iTunes version parity is something that Apple will stick to as long as they sell iPods. With more iPods on the way I doubt that iTunes for Windows would be withheld for any reason, especially international iTunes.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Interesting rumors, but MOSR doesn't have a very good track record (and that's an understatement).

The safest rumors are the ones that we've already heard (like new iPods, new iLife, etc.).

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Originally posted by MoparShaha
I think all of those things will happen, except iTunes 5. It just seems too early. They just released 4.2.
4.2 was a minor update, it makes more sense to look at when iTunes 4 was released (back in the spring). When you look at it that way, iTunes 5 seems more possible (iTunes 3 was about the same age as iTunes 4 is now back in the spring).
Still, I have to wonder about MOSRs reliability...

Originally posted by voicegy
RIGHT ON for your 'tar, pyrotoaster!:D
Thanks. :D

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
The iTunes 5 image is a FAKE!

The GUI elements are a mix of blue (column headings, song tick boxes, source selection) and graphite (sliders, scroll bars, drop downs, tick boxes)

There are several other reasons other posters on MOSR have pointed out out too.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Originally posted by ChrisH3677
The iTunes 5 image is a FAKE!

The GUI elements are a mix of blue (column headings, song tick boxes, source selection) and graphite (sliders, scroll bars, drop downs, tick boxes)

There are several other reasons other posters on MOSR have pointed out out too.
Yeah, the image is definitely suspicious (my problem is that the "Record" button doesn't match the other lower-right-hand-corner buttons), but it's very well put together.

In other words: if it's fake, it's a good fake (with the exception of those sloppy GUI oversights).

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
With more iTMS opening soon next yr it seems logical for new iTune upgrade to come about.

I believe iTunes is long over due for big update. All recent updates have been pretty small.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The pics are likely fake.

And while MacOSRumors now says they are fakes, they initially confirmed it WAS itunes 5 -- claiming they had seen this exact feature before.

When little follow-up information came to light after the opportunity we had to play with an alpha-quality version of iTunes 5.0 two months ago, even we wondered what the heck was going on. Breaking news from Apple-X.net seems to answer this question, as the Mixing Table feature is not the only feature we recognized in this screenshot. Take notice also of the "Record" button in the lower-right-hand corner of the iTunes window; that is the new yet impressively mature Audio Recording support that is built into iTunes.

Simply plug in any audio input device, and hit that button with the red dot; a new AAC (by default; MP3, AIFF, and WAV are also options) file will be recorded and the audio from the input recorded into it in real-time. This makes importing your wax/vinyl, 8-tracks, casette tapes, DAT, or just about anything else under the sun a simple task. It's also great for use with your built-in or USB microphone, to get surprisingly good recording quality for your garage band or to take voice notes.

iTunes 5 is really going to knock the socks off of a lot of folks, and is going to signal Apple's strong entrance into not just playback of music, but also its creation. Professional solutions for music authoring will also be part of the same event which sees the introduction of iTunes 5 -- and we think that event may very well be Macworld SF.

Credibility of the screenshots and MOSR are nil. MOSR has since removed the above passage from their site.

arn

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
well, iTunes 5 fakes aside, i would love the home on the iPod feature. that would be amazing if it were true. think about it, if i am at someone else's house, and they had panther, i could log in on their computer and show them stuff, have my settings for everything, and still have massive portability.

that's what i want at MWSF 2004. that and flash based iPods for my friends:D

ps-pyrotoaster-your avatar is awesome!

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Apple-X.net which is where the orig. pics came from said they have not confirmed the pictures are fake.

They said if Apple doesn't contact them then the pictures are probably fakes but if they do get contacted by Apple then the pictures are probably real.

Is iTunes developed inside of Apple or is it open like Safari more or so is?

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by ITR 81
Apple-X.net which is where the orig. pics came from said they have not confirmed the pictures are fake.

They said if Apple doesn't contact them then the pictures are probably fakes but if they do get contacted by Apple then the pictures are probably real.

Is iTunes developed inside of Apple or is it open like Safari more or so is?

the most open part of itunes is the name

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm really looking forward to the iPod HOME feature too ---- I can see myself using that lot

what's up with the tablet rumors?? no expectations of a tablet anymore?

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Originally posted by HasanDaddy
I'm really looking forward to the iPod HOME feature too ---- I can see myself using that lot

what's up with the tablet rumors?? no expectations of a tablet anymore?
The Panther Home on iPod thingy sounds great (though I don't plan on buying an iPod bigger than my 5 gig one right now).

As for the tablet rumors, those are speculation more than anything else. A possibility with no real confirmation. I think what we're really looking at (in the vague future) is a new Digital Lifestyle Device that may (or may not) be tablet-like. A tablet any time soon is very unlikely, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.