Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I don't know what to think...

I feel there are a lot of people out there who are going to make every attempt possible to scare Apple's users into thinking they are on the bad end of a terrible secret...

I also know that I do not know enough to really take all of that info in and be able to argue fairly....

but no matter what I'm still loyal to Apple! :p

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I am going to put my quick two cents in:

Once, again, I am lacking the resource, but affordable Pentium 4s have failed to acces one gigaflop, which really determines the overall computer achievement. Apple has gone much faster, up to 15 Gigaflops, with a $3000 computer.

Bill Gates: All you need to upload pictures from your camera is a fast PC and some boring software.

KC: Well I have a Mac, and the software I use operates in OS 10. Does that make me better than you?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
More research...

Well, Rower_CPU, you managed to find an article that simply states that the Macs have been sold as slow in comparison to a Pentium 4.

Now, check out this website and find out why the Pentium 4 has failed to deliver real speed and power, when compared to the G4.

NOTE: This web page is as long as a book, so you might have to put about an hour or two aside to read this. It is very long.

http://www.emulators.com/pentium4.htm

Bill Gates: All you need to upload pictures from your camera is a fast PC and some boring software.

KC: Well I have a Mac, and the software I use operates in OS 10. Does that make me better than you?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: More research...

Originally posted by King Cobra
Well, Rower_CPU, you managed to find an article that simply states that the Macs have been sold as slow in comparison to a Pentium 4.

Now, check out this website and find out why the Pentium 4 has failed to deliver real speed and power, when compared to the G4.

NOTE: This web page is as long as a book, so you might have to put about an hour or two aside to read this. It is very long.

http://www.emulators.com/pentium4.htm

I'm not sure what you mean by "sold as slow", but I was just pointing to previous discussions here in the forums that dealt with the same article from The Register.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
All of these benchmarks and SPEC ratings.. I don't understand.. I have a Pentium4 1.8GHz as well as my Macs.. and the P4 won't boot MacOS X at ALL.. no matter how long I give it. Same with MacOS 9.. and 8.. even my old System 7.6.1 CD.. it won't boot it at all.

So you're telling me my choice is to use something BESIDES MacOS, so I can get next to nothing done.. (but do it really fast, with impressive numbers) or use a Mac, and get something done in a scary world without nifty numbers.. Why doesn't that seem like a tough call?

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Big News man!
Apple releases the pink iPod...

Attachments

• pinkipod.jpg
    pinkipod.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 574

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by krossfyter
Big News!!!

Apple presents the.....pink iPod..

Dear Lord! :D :D :D

That is the funniest or scariest thing I've ever seen.

Who knows...after all this is the same company who gave us the Flower Power and Blue Dalmation iMacs too! :rolleyes:

stoid

macrumors 601
Yeah for PC

After years of trying to find something that a PC could actually outperform a Mac in, they finally came up with something, the SPEC2000. What is that anyway?? I'm not going to claim to be terribly benchmark literate but HUH??? When was the last time any of you did anything important with SPEC2000?? Maybe I'm wrong, but this doesn't seem like a big deal to me. What does this mean??? Can Windows scroll faster than OSX??? How does this apply to everyday applications??

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
In the link I posted earlier the most prominent things to be observed were:
(1) The Penitum 4 has an incredibly small L1 Cache, hindering performance.
(2) The Pentium 4 lacks a L3 Cache, resulting in a failure to compete against Macs in Photoshop (wait until 7 comes out!)
(3) All of these smaller mistakes with the chip and cache add up to keeping the Pentium 4 behind the 1GHz Powermac.

Now, A PINK iPOD??? Why would Apple come with something like that? That was obviously done with Photoshop; it will never happen.

Creepy...

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by krossfyter
Wouldnt you want a pink iPod King Cobra??!!:D I know inside you are really into it!

Easy, big guy.

I bring my iPod to class and do work while I listen to it. What are people going to think if I brought a pink iPod into the building?

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Well they might think you are openly Gay for one.... (note: in no way am i trying to put down gays) or 2) they might think your cool in a pink way!

:D

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I hate to insult but...

kross-Photoshop...I quote from The Simpsons...

"Takes one to know one!"

I am sure you would do well with a pink iPod, since you invented it!

A real invention for the iPod would be one that keeps people from being colorblind.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
It is all right man.

I am not offended. The pink iPod is clever, but humiliating for anyone who has one.

Let us put all these insults behind us and say that at MacWorld Tokyo Apple releases the 10GB iPod.

Captain krossfyter: Other than pink, what would you like to see in this new iPod?

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Nah im not fond of the pink iPod...its just humor.

Im down with 10 gig in the pod...or 20 gig even better.

They should call it the Powerpod.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
ok we all know this is bull in so mnay ways. i mean this exact same thread has been posted 3 times already!!! (whats wrong with you people who keep posting this?)

but the silliest part is saying how the g4 doesnt stand against the "dated" p3. if you take a p4 and pit it against a p3 at like mhz you will find the p4 also can not beat the p3.

ok there are many more serious problems with this test but i thought i dpoint out one that i hadnt heard yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.