Big Pharma Charging $1000/pill for Hep-C Breakthrough Drug

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shinji, Jul 7, 2014.

1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/07/opinion/ignagni-hepatitis-c-drug/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Sovaldi combination therapy effectively cures Hepatitis-C in 90% of patients. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovaldi

2. zin macrumors 6502

Whilst I am all for pitchforks and torches against big pharmaceutical corporations, it is important to note that these corporations spend billions of $$$ on R&D on new drugs, the vast majority of which will never make it to market.

Researching drugs is expensive, very expensive, costing $3 - $12 billion and up to a decade for each approved drug from a major pharmaceutical provider. That doesn't include the R&D spent on failed drugs that never made it to market.

These companies need to make a profit in order to continue researching more and more drugs. That being said, I would much rather all of the profits go towards more research and not a big chunk going to the shareholders of the big public pharmas.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Honestly the company is probably not charging for the costs of this drug per se, but enough to cover the costs of this drug and all the other dead-end prospects they pursued and will pursue. Yes, drug companies make a profit, but it is worth considering the alternative: they they all go bust or simply back out of research and only market known drugs. Recent years have devastated the research base in drug companies (IMO because they gamble don a lot of molecular BS that does not scale up to whole organisms). In almost all the big pharma acquisitions you might have heard of over the past few years, most of them entail winding down research units.

4. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The cost of developing, testing and marketing drugs are expensive. When they come up with a drug for cancer, that cost will be huge. Billions are spent in research to develop these drugs.

I wonder if it is covered under Obamacare... ;)

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

When the linked Wikipedia article says the same 12 week treatment will cost about $59,000 in England, my Spidey-sense starts tingling. Why does it cost $25,000 more here? Drug manufacturers certainly have the right to profit from their work but when you see prices in the US so much higher than the rest of the developed world, something is very wrong.

6. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

As was said, R+D is extremely expensive, and those costs need to be recovered before the drug is allowed to go generic.

Drugs are expensive in large part due to the FDA, but the alternative (no FDA) is a scary prospect. Look up what happened with the drug thalidomide to see an excellent exams of why all that expensive R+D is a good thing.

7. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Then what would be the incentive for these companies to get into this market in the first place? Altruism isn't as big a motivator as cold hard cash, unfortunately.

8. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

There is a profit to be made (potentially).

But a lot of drugs lose money, or don't make much money at all.

Something like Celebrex, can make a lot of money very quickly. But something for say, a type of metabolic disorder that only 100,000 people worldwide suffer from, might be a complete dud.

9. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Sounds like a prime candidate for a nationalized industry.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What good are medications if they are unaffordable? For this reason, I find myself agreeing with this rationale.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Likely the drug isn't priced on anything resembling the cost of the drug and/or R&D.

The pricing is likely based on the cost of a liver transplant and viewed as an alternative to that, and eliminates the lifetime of anti rejection drugs.

---

Likely the stumbled on this model when the CEO locked his keys in his car and they charged him based on the cost of replacing the window in his car, instead of a flat rate fee based on the actual cost of the service.

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'm willing to bet that the R&D, FDA approval, testing and trails, actually make this drug even more expensive than what they are charging. They are hoping to recover those costs during the time before generics are allowed to be manufactured.

Nationalizing the pharmaceutical industry isn't the answer. Right now there is competition to come up with solutions and better methods. You nationalize it, that is gone.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It can be questioned if medical and medicines should be for profit.

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You eliminate all the profit and see how many still want to go into the field.

15. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

so the U.S GOVT should take over? ???

16. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

No, but research should be made with public funds.

Pharm research is rather similar to "basic scientific research", where there is a TON of research that goes nowhere and costs tons of $, but eventually there's a breakthrough of some kind that makes it all worth it. And a lot of times those breakthroughs don't even have an obvious application (at the moment), but pay huge dividends down the road.

Basically the opposite of the "all we worry about is next quarters stock performance" mindset.

Just look at all the amazing stuff that's come out of NSF and NIH-funded research.

----------

You still get paid a good salary, you realize....right?

17. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

1.sorry but no. things are working out as is. what ever CO invest & does the research makes the profit or eats the losses.

2 sounds like a union, no motivation to succeed :D

18. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

That's my point; they NEVER eat the losses. They pass them on to the poor shmuck that has to pay $1000 every day for a pill.

I'd rather those losses be spread out among every American.

19. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

ok, why? why should YOU be FORCED to pay for it? HOW do you know pharma CO's have no losses?

20. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

We're all forced to pay for things we don't like to pay for.

21. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Why? Because I want to live in a decent, caring society that doesn't bankrupt people and literally put them out on the street (which causes all kinds of negative economic ripple effects) because they had the misfortune to catch a disease.

That's why.

22. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

is the ACA not going to take care of these people?

your hearts are in the right place, but I think its naive to believe that it is economically feasible for the GOVT to take over.

right now there is competition & COs are working to get things out first.

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

I had this discussion with a very conservative friend of mine. Her position was basically that other countries steal all of the US research and medication. She said that we NEED to pay really high costs to "keep up the good work", and that every other country is just piggybacking off of us.

What does this have to do with siphoning money off to shareholders instead of investing it in more research? It's just as bad as publicly-traded insurance companies, which are the pure evil of the obviously-American system.

Ooooohhh...someone's got him worked up again! He's using caps!!! And using words like "force"!

What an entirely unAmerican view. In America, we aren't here to help people or to provide a safe, happy life. We are here to squeeze as much money out of them as we can and pass it off to shareholders. That's the mark of a successful country.

24. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

simply my way of "enhancing" things, not worked up at all Sammi.
    wait, you used caps lock up above, are you "worked up"? :D

25. samiwas macrumors 65816

How does the ACA "take care of people"? It simply means you have to have insurance. I don't know about you, but having insurance doesn't mean I don't still spend an assload on healthcare.

----------

Yes, yes I am. :eek: (good catch by the way)