Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Pretty straight forward and simple, why the hell does the screen need to light up every time I get a notification? On average, when you get a notification from any app, the screen stays on for at least 5 seconds then fades away and shuts off. You can see how this affects battery life already constantly waking up the screen. Say if my phone's down or in my pocket, its just unnecessary drain, why don't we have a option to not have the screen turn on every time for notifications, even if its just one single one?

Do you all get my point here? Every notification you get on a iOS keeps the screen on for at least 5 seconds, so like example (Melissa has liked your photo) boom the screen stays on for at least 5 seconds and you can see how this adds up quickly.

Say like your popular on Instagram/Facebook and get social notifications alot, or in a big iMessage group chat with friends, or just use your phone and have bunch of notifications that come your way every day, the screen stays on ALOT actually and that actually drains the hell out of the battery, there should absolutely be a option to not wake the screen when you get notifications.

I estimated that say if you get lets say about 50 notifications in one hour (you put up a picture on Instagram and its getting a bunch of likes and stuff like that, whatever, anything) over the course of the hour, your phone's screen has been on for over couple of minutes without you using your phone at all in that hour(if you weren't using the phone in this case for a bit) and that's a pretty dam good battery drain on the iPhone's not really big battery.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I can get 500-600 iMessages a day and I keep my phone on vibrate. It destroys my battery. I'm not too worried about it though.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
You can disable some app's notifications if you are receiving too many of them.
Every time you receive a PN the app can be awaken for a short period of time to retrieve data, and receiving and processing a notification drains battery too.
I disabled group chat notifications in whatsapp, since I was overwhelmed by them, and the battery life improved.
Every now and then I check the whatsapp icon to find out whether I received group messages and get them all in once.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Slightly off topic, but years ago I had a Moto flip phone. When the battery got very low, it would LIGHT UP and chirp every 3-5 minutes - thus draining what little power was left even faster. Someone didn't think that through.

Would be nice to have the no-wake option, although the mute switch on the side kinda takes care of it I think. You can still get a vibrate, but on mute does the iPhone still light up?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It's from 2 group messages, work and friends. I enjoy it as much as I hate it. I'm excited for some iOS 8 features when it comes to group messaging.

Lol I've only had about 15 imessages today. I'm not that popular it seems.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I can not see the backlight turning on for 5 seconds each time you get a message/notification as an issue for the average user. I consider myself an above average user taking care on my company's business and seldom come home to put on the charger, at the end of the day, with less that 30-40% battery remaining. I would do about 50-80 messages a day and multiple emails and phone calls.

For those who live on their phone watching movies and playing games, that is not average use and the battery capacity is not what Apple is aiming at.

Last edited:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
there should absolutely be a option to not wake the screen when you get notifications.

That option has been available for so many years.

Settings> Notification> Messages (or any app)> Show on lock screen (switch to off). If you leave sound on then when you receive a message you will hear the text tone but screen will not light up.

Put your phone on Do Not Disturb so that you get all notifications but your screen will not light up, this include Facebook, Instagram and Phone Calls.

And in iOS 8 you will be able to enable Do Not Disturb for individual conversations as well as group chats in Messages.
group_details.jpg

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Pretty straight forward and simple, why the hell does the screen need to light up every time I get a notification? On average, when you get a notification from any app, the screen stays on for at least 5 seconds then fades away and shuts off. You can see how this affects battery life already constantly waking up the screen. Say if my phone's down or in my pocket, its just unnecessary drain, why don't we have a option to not have the screen turn on every time for notifications, even if its just one single one?

Do you all get my point here? Every notification you get on a iOS keeps the screen on for at least 5 seconds, so like example (Melissa has liked your photo) boom the screen stays on for at least 5 seconds and you can see how this adds up quickly.

Say like your popular on Instagram/Facebook and get social notifications alot, or in a big iMessage group chat with friends, or just use your phone and have bunch of notifications that come your way every day, the screen stays on ALOT actually and that actually drains the hell out of the battery, there should absolutely be a option to not wake the screen when you get notifications.

I estimated that say if you get lets say about 50 notifications in one hour (you put up a picture on Instagram and its getting a bunch of likes and stuff like that, whatever, anything) over the course of the hour, your phone's screen has been on for over couple of minutes without you using your phone at all in that hour(if you weren't using the phone in this case for a bit) and that's a pretty dam good battery drain on the iPhone's not really big battery.

So turn your notifications off. The whole idea of notifications is they NOTIFY you.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
That option has been available for so many years.

Settings> Notification> Messages (or any app)> Show on lock screen (switch to off). If you leave sound on then when you receive a message you will hear the text tone but screen will not light up.

Put your phone on Do Not Disturb so that you get all notifications but your screen will not light up, this include Facebook, Instagram and Phone Calls.

And in iOS 8 you will be able to enable Do Not Disturb for individual conversations as well as group chats in Messages.

I mean this works to a certain extent but is still annoying and not a great way to deal with it, I dont want to have to turn off notifications off my lock screen just so my screen doesnt keep waking

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I mean this works to a certain extent but is still annoying and not a great way to deal with it, I dont want to have to turn off notifications off my lock screen just so my screen doesnt keep waking

Say what?

You DON'T want notifications waking up your screen but you DO want notifications on your screen?

This is your big hullabaloo?

Oh boy....

Also, your thread title should state "...why iPhone's [sic] BATTERIES don't last...."

Last edited:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca

If you enable Do Not Disturb for your messages, the screen will not light up but your message will still be on the lock screen. How is that not the feature that you want?

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

Your subject title is misleading. Yours is of a battery drainage issue and not the quality and craftsmanship of an iPhone.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Say what?

You DON'T want notifications waking up your screen but you DO want notifications on your screen?

This is your big hullabaloo?

Oh boy....

I think he's saying there could possibly be a better way even with the iPhones current tech.

Like the screen not turning on with the phone face down using the gyro. Or the screen not turning on in your pocket using the proximity sensor.

Look at me go, and I'm not even an Apple engineer. :D

dauby88

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to use the proximity sensor to know when the phone is in your pocket and only vibrate. You should submit this to apple.com/feedback

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I think he's saying there could possibly be a better way even with the iPhones current tech.

Like the screen not turning on with the phone face down using the gyro. Or the screen not turning on in your pocket using the proximity sensor.

Look at me go, and I'm not even an Apple engineer. :D

That's an intriguing idea, and something that Apple OS could nail. I like it.

It also sounds like a feature I would almost immediately disable to save battery life. :D

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

It also sounds like a feature I would almost immediately disable to save battery life. :D

Should only be able to use less battery. Sensors are active with a notifications, only difference is instead of low brightness level being determined it could also do no backlight at all.

Eau Rouge

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013

Lock Screen off but Show In Notification Center. Still imperfect but one flick down isn't the end of the world.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Just turn off message alerts on lock screen?
View attachment 488842

No man this doesn't work it isn't a real solution at all , I don't want to turn off messages notifications, how about the rest of the other bunch of apps on my phone that gives me lock screen notifications? my whole point is that, the screen doesn't need to turn on every single time you get a notification, like what other's said in this thread, for instance proximity sensor can detect phone is in your pocket, or faced down etc and it wont turn on the screen but it will still make a alert sound.

My whole point is that, on Android, you get a notification, it doesn't turn on your screen, you get the sound alert, and it shows in the notification bar(Yes i know iOS doesnt have notfications in the top bar ) but you will still see the notification next time you turn your screen on or even the notification LED. (obviously iPhone doesnt have this.) Now some might say, "but yeah Android doesnt have lock screen notifications like iOS" actually you can get that on Android, and in Android L, its coming. Now this is not a debate between iOS or Android at all, not at all, i am just simply using Android as a example.

TLDR: IMO notifications should not turn on the screen every single time.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I think the big reason iPhones or any phones don't last these days is because people have a habit of keeping their phones on 24/7 and never turn them off.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Your subject title is misleading. Yours is of a battery drainage issue and not the quality and craftsmanship of an iPhone.

No I am not complaining about a app draining my battery or nothing like that, Im talking about how every single iOS device does this and acts like this. Why does the screen need to light up for a notification from Subway Surfer or why does my iPad screen need to light up for 20 seconds when i am having a group imessage conversation on my iPhone going back and forth .its not a misleading title and its pretty dumb how the screen turns on everytime. This drains battery.

----------

Very low power state proximity sensor that can detect my phone is not faced down or in my pocket vses notifications constantly waking my screen that stays on 75% brightness, ill take the proximity sensor way anyday

Alot of people in this thread are not getting the point.

There is absolutely no point as to why each individual notification wakes your screen, on average for the average user alone this effect drains about 5-10% battery life and your not even using the phone at all in this state when at times you have it in your pocket/purse/ laying down somewhere or face down.

It should be like , say if you get a notification from iMessage group chat or just a regular message conversation, the first message you get , lights up your screen and shows, but any messages after that you recieve should be clustered on the lock screen if you havent already checked or cleared the messages and so that it doesnt keep waking the lock screen

Let me clarify more. Heres a example. John sends you a text, it lights up your lock screen and then fades and shuts off like it does. But say if you dont check or havent cleared the notification yet and John is still texting you , it should cluster on the screen all imessage/messages and after the first text from John, your screen stops waking, and you still obviously get the sound alerts, but its just not constantly waking the screen for each individul text message John sends, that after the first message that you havent checked or seen yet, itll show that you have like (11) messages from John (depends on how fast he/she texts you too, usually people arent texting you every 5 seconds so it makes the screen turn on and then off again and then on etc.) , but that your screen didnt light up 11 times, only the first time if you havent checked or cleared it yet, you wont miss any notifications and your screen didnt light up multple times in the process, thus saving battery life. This can apply to every single app.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.