Big Red spilled and shorts out three week old MacBook Pro - what to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by InfoTime, Jul 4, 2010.

1. InfoTime macrumors 6502

My niece's three-week old MacBook Pro 13" (with AppleCare) had a Big-Red spilled on it last night. The machine shut down and will no longer power up. Seems like a given that the logic board is fried and she'd be in for an expensive repair with Apple.

What's the best option for her at this point?

I'm thinking sell the machine as is and get another one. I saw a similar unit on eBay with the same problem sold for $497.

Will Apple take back the AppleCare warranty?
    Will they transfer the warranty to the new machine?
    If Apple repaired the machine would the AppleCare warranty still be good?

It's the entry-level aluminum MacBook Pro. Again, it's only three weeks old. She got it for college, which she starts in the Fall.

What would you advise?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

New computer.
    1. No.
    2. Only if you haven't registered it to the ruined MBP's serial number yet.
    3. Yes, but they won't repair it.

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Check your regular insurance. Often you will have a supplement in your home insurance for these kind of mistakes. I know I have it, it is worth it when it comes to those "oops" moments. That is the best practice when it comes to these kind of accidents.

4. marksandvig macrumors regular

Did they buy it with an American Express? They offer 90 days of accidental damage.

5. fluffyx macrumors 6502

marksandvig has a great point. AmEx has the best known accidental damage protection, but a few other cards offer it as well. Citi Bank, some MasterCards, etc. Debit cards do not offer this protection.

•

Apple, unfortunately has ridiculous accidental damage pricing ($755 + tax for your repair).

However, there are a few companies (us included) who offer quality liquid damage repairs. Selling the computer for about $497 and buying a new one costs more than a $480.00 repair, and the repair means your AppleCare would be reinstated.

6. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

That's why it's best to buy apple care before the warranty runs out, sell it on ebay, they will probably give you 400$ for the accessories, screen, and other stuff that still works, if you get her another one keep her computer away from drinks