Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
As title states and found on 9to5mac there is a big sale on Best Buy. Maybe an indication that retailers are clearing out their inventory. Local store has some open box 15" 512GB models from $2799 to $2184 for $615 off.

donklaus

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
As title states and found on 9to5mac there is a big sale on Best Buy. Maybe an indication that retailers are clearing out their inventory. Local store has some open box 15" 512GB models from $2799 to $2184 for $615 off.

Just bought the base 15" MBP thanks to this sale. Been on the fence forever, and this pushed me over. Two weeks to put it through its paces and see if I can live the with keyboard.

currahee2100

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
I got a 256gb touchbar 13” for 1549 last week. Thought it was a good deal. Then I looked again today and glad I checked :)

Returned it and ordered a 512gb 13” touch... what’s even better is that I have a $100 student coupon :) so 1399, $150 less and double the storage.

Reactions: ARK and burgman

fate0311

Suspended
Dec 31, 2015
I picked up (6) going to flip them on eBay bay bay. Money in the bank bitches. Drinks on me aayyyyyyyyyy!

Reactions: ARK

Untapped Potential

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2017
I got a 256gb touchbar 13” for 1549 last week. Thought it was a good deal. Then I looked again today and glad I checked :)

Returned it and ordered a 512gb 13” touch... what’s even better is that I have a $100 student coupon :) so 1399, $150 less and double the storage.
[doublepost=1555730668][/doublepost]Why’d you choose to double the ssd rather than doubling the ram?

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
I love Best Buy. Took advantage of this sale today as well. Also got the $100 student discount offer. $600 off or 25% off on a brand new 15" 2.2 i7/16GB/256GB/555X MBP - same specs as a refurb I had bought at Microcenter for the SAME price this past Sunday! Bonus for getting rewards points and 30 days (Elite) instead of 14 days to make sure this is the one to keep.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
15” went back to Costco. Ended up ordering a 2018 13” base. Thought about grabbing the 15” again for yet $500 more (still saving $500) but thought better of it.

Cool thousand saved.

Reactions: burgman

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013

Just ordered a 512gb myself, went back and forth between 15 and 13 inch. I have a 45 day return with BB so if Apple drops a new model that is a must have hopefully it will in that timeframe.

MengkeMary

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2019
Minneapolis
Order 15" base model online and picked it up after 1 hour. Still trying to setup everything. For the moment, this machine works fine for me, though I do feel a little warm above the Touch Bar. Fortunately, with Bestbuy, I can return it if I do change mind within 14 days.

currahee2100

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
[doublepost=1555730668][/doublepost]Why’d you choose to double the ssd rather than doubling the ram?

Storage is infinitely more useful than memory To me. I have a gaming desktop and laptop. I just want this as a portable “work” computer. I want it to run virtual machines, do light video editing, and photoshop.

I have a 2012 MBP that I upgraded to 16GB. It really doesn’t go past 8 until I start running a virtual machine on top of everything else I have running. But in this case, Mac OS will access the swap file for more memory. Since the swap is now on a SSD, the performance hit won’t be as bad.

its a product that is a year old, that will probably be updated soon.

It should be noted that hardware wise (cpu, Ram, storage) there is very little to improve on what they have now. At any rate, I don’t mind older hardware if it means there’s a big discount..

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
I think the sale is over now. Yesterday, with student discount, the price for 15" base model is $1799 without tax.

Guess it was just a one day, flash sale, though I didn’t see anything to indicate it as that. I told a friend about it, but when they went to order this morning, it wasn’t the same sale. It’s back to only $200 off for now. Glad I didn’t wait.

MengkeMary

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2019
Minneapolis
Storage is infinitely more useful than memory To me. I have a gaming desktop and laptop. I just want this as a portable “work” computer. I want it to run virtual machines, do light video editing, and photoshop.

I have a 2012 MBP that I upgraded to 16GB. It really doesn’t go past 8 until I start running a virtual machine on top of everything else I have running. But in this case, Mac OS will access the swap file for more memory. Since the swap is now on a SSD, the performance hit won’t be as bad.

It should be noted that hardware wise (cpu, Ram, storage) there is very little to improve on what they have now. At any rate, I don’t mind older hardware if it means there’s a big discount..

I agree with you. However, I do wish they can improve the thermal of current design. Even if a new version is release this year, I would not rush to buy it as the first generation of redesign typically comes with a lot of surprise.

Non-Polar

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2017
Lmao keyboard and T2 issues and people are still willing to dish out $1500+. Guess Tim Cook is doing something right after all

howareyoukk

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
Big sale on MacBook this time of the year = new ones are about to be released. P.s. Easter is over.

P.s. I am patiently waiting for my 16 inch MacBook pro

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
how do y0ou get the student discount?

You sign up for MyBestBuy and there’s a student verification thing. The way Best Buy handles education discounts though isn’t store wide. They just run promotions that usually result in a steeper discount on already on sale items.

Surf760

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2017
Big sale on MacBook this time of the year = new ones are about to be released. P.s. Easter is over.

Hoping that if at worse all that happens is a minor spec bump, that they increase the base model 15" to 512gb standard at the same price point. Ideally, we also get a keyboard fix and what not, that would make the extra month and a half wait look smart in hindsight.

howareyoukk

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
Hoping that if at worse all that happens is a minor spec bump, that they increase the base model 15" to 512gb standard at the same price point. Ideally, we also get a keyboard fix and what not, that would make the extra month and a half wait look smart in hindsight.

Hahah if that’s a spec bump I will just get a refurbished Mac and sell it when the 16 inch gets released next year. The bigger display is coming just can’t reallly confirm when

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012

True. And it would be at least 6 months released before I thought about buying it. I refuse to pay full price for these machines, especially when it’s not mandatory for any work that I do. I’ll enjoy reading reviews and feedback from everyone else in the meantime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.