Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Big Sur WIFI Woes

Prorege1

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2020
The latest beta version (this week's release) is: UAP/USW Firmware 5.43.10.12465
Perhaps it will help with the issues.

Comment

applehappy

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
I had this issue as well. wifi would work for a moment if I turned it off and on. I noticed that I had a SOCKS Proxy setting enabled. When deselected it would work perfectly and then reappear upon reboot. Zero items listed in login so I have no idea what is happening. I downloaded Malwarebytes after searching around a bit and one free scan later identified and disabled the adware that was doing this. My wifi works fine now. Who knows what other problems I've brought into my life. First time ever needing third party software to make my Mac work.

Comment

tonyr6

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I have no Malware. Tired of every problem being related to Malware. It also did it again today but I notice if I disconnect from the Wi-Fi then reconnect again it starts working right away instead of having to wait 30 seconds.

Comment

Lvivske

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
see my reply to @supernet33 hth :)
your reply didnt really address the issue i'm having tho?

also i use a VPN

update though: with Big Sur for a week now, definitely having more wifi issues. I'll open my laptop and be connected to my network, but have zero internet. Rebooting helped last time, disconnecting and re-connecting didnt solve it at first...

Comment

lefkonj

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2016
Disabled WIFI and went physical cable to my switch. Worked for about 3 hours then dead. So this issue is not a wifi issue but a networking issue with BigSur. Frustrating as these things should never make it out to even a beta. Networking is old enough that these should just work at this point. So annoying but what can you do not like windows is any better

Last edited:
Reactions: tonyr6 and Lvivske
Comment

Collywobbles

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2017
your reply didnt really address the issue i'm having tho?

also i use a VPN

update though: with Big Sur for a week now, definitely having more wifi issues. I'll open my laptop and be connected to my network, but have zero internet. Rebooting helped last time, disconnecting and re-connecting didnt solve it at first...
Sorry but you didn’t really state much other than it’s been happening since Catalina. I’d actually argue it’s been happening since mavericks; certainly on one of my macbook pros it’s been a real annoyance since high sierra. And.. It hasn’t improved on big sur. But that doesn’t solve anything for anybody...

Comment

tonyr6

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Turning off Wi-Fi then turning it back on fixes it. At least I know I don't have a failing Wi-Fi antenna and wireless on my router is stable as I keep 2.4 and 5ghz networks separate unlike at my aunts house where it's a mess with my phone with combined networks.

Comment

lefkonj

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2016
My experience isn't wifi but networking in general. You can't disable wifi or restart the networking processes it is just stuck. A reboot fixes it for an unspecified amount of time.

Comment

fishbert

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2009

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.