Bigger Epic Fail: Job's "turn off your Wifi" or this pre order crapfest???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by normandy7, Jun 15, 2010.

?

Bigger Epic Fail: Job's "turn off your Wifi" or this pre order crapfest???

1. "Turn off your Wifi"

15 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. This pre order crapfest

84 vote(s)
    84.8%
  1. normandy7 macrumors member

2. I AN LEGEND macrumors regular

Pre-order.

Is it even possibly for these to run smoothly?

3. marv117 macrumors newbie

pre-order.

This should be a poll.

update: never mind. it's there now. =)

4. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Pre-orders never go well....

Last year though for the 3GS right after the keynote, AT&T released a press statment saying you could order in store, I rushed to the store, placed my order, and skipped all of this mess...

Getting the 3GS could not have gone more smoothly.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Turning off the WiFi was.

We've come to expect that Apple and ATT are unwilling to beef up their ordering and activating systems, so today's delays are no surprise... and only happens once a year.

But Apple should've been using 3G for their demos at WWDC. Using WiFi is such a cheat. It's supposed to be a mobile device. If we're supposed to use WiFi for everything because 3G isn't reliable, then why require a data plan at all?

6. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

This crap by far. It's not Apple's fault people had literally hundreds of wifi base stations in one room. It is however their fault for last minute bait and switch, and not being ready for a big launch after implying they know what they're doing by now and would be ready.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

WiFi fail was humorous. This is just an annoying ginormous time waster. I hope there are lots of stories about this in the news and really pummels Apple good. I hate to see it but they need to learn a lesson they should have learned a lot time ago. A long time a ago. I mean they are in the computer biz.

Want to clue me in on that one?

8. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Wi-Fi

Apple has proven time and again they are unable to handle these rushes and it fails everytime

Should have been expected really

9. skyehill macrumors 6502

The Wifi thing was simply hilarious. Most because of Steve's petulant crying the rest of the show. But this ordering fiasco is just ugly, and a horrendous way to deal with people trying to give you their hard-earned money. Apple's ineptitude is showing, and anyone that does finally pre-order one should be very afraid of what activation day is going to look like.

10. PlaneCrazy macrumors member

Unpredictable=not big fail, Predictable=big fail

I'm in the school of thought that problems you can't really predict or prepare for, like over 500 WiFi base stations in one conference hall clogging the airwaves, are less of a sign of failure than something you can predict, like tons of extra traffic on your site on the first morning of pre-ordering your hugely hyped new product.

At times it wasn't clear if the biggest problem was ATT, or Apple. At first I had problems when it was trying to check my elegibility, but later it was consistently failing at shopping cart checkout. I finally made a successful purchase, but it took hours and multiple tries. = FAIL

11. skyehill macrumors 6502

You don't show pictures for a week of a phone in two beautiful colors, get people amped for them, and then pull (YOINK) one at the last second. They knew last week whether or not they'd have enough of both to satisfy pre-orders, and they should have told people. Color doesn't mean much to me, but based on the threads on this forum alone, color means a lot to some people and Apple should have been cognizant of that.

12. paulold macrumors 6502

AT&T sucks!

I can't believe I have to sign up for another two years of AT&T. This whole pre-order fiasco is AT&T's fault yet again - just like last time and the time before that and the time before that. When will they ever learn how to run a business?

13. skyehill macrumors 6502

This one is all Apple. You can pretend it's ATTs fault, but it doesn't change the fact that this is all Apple.

14. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Thank you for replying for me. Exactly what i would have said myself. It's so wrong and Apple needs to wake the hell up. I so often defend them when people have issues with them, but they deserve to get the book thrown at em today. Whatever it takes for them to get the point that they should not treat their customers, big supporters and early adopters ready to throw lots of money at them, so badly and with such utter disregard.

15. JPG54 macrumors member

16. paulold macrumors 6502

I'm sorry - but I disagree. This happens every time. When you have to get info (e.g. check eligibility, request authorization, etc) from AT&T's server, that's where the hangup is. Apple's site is functioning - it can't get what it needs from AT&T.

But I will agree that overall it's Apple's fault, for choosing AT&T in the first place. Biggest mistake Apple has ever made.

17. skyehill macrumors 6502

People ordering from ATT have their orders handled a lot more smoothly than those of us using Apple's site. This is Apple's cluster****.

18. Roger1079 macrumors member

Not anymore. On Apple's site, I was able to get all the way to checkout at 6:30AM EST this morning. Then a session timout instantly, 9 times. Then I tried AT&T's site with a similar failure at checkout. Tried Safari, Firefox, and IE just to be sure it wasnt a browser issue. Now on Apple's site it sits at the verifying AT&T account information for a while then an error message. On AT&T's site when I try to upgrade, I am getting error P1015 after I select the line to upgrade. It may have been an Apple issue earlier, but now the problem lies with AT&T. I tried ordering over the phone, and after waiting on hold for 10 minutes, the rep politely tells me that she can fulfill anything over the phone but an iphone 4 preorder. She offered to send me to their webpage tech support, but I declined because I know it has nothing to do with my computer or browser. You would figure that on their 4th attempt to do this, they might be able to get it right, but apparently not. Way to go Apple and AT&T. I wonder how much cash they have missed out on already this morning because yet again they werent prepared.