Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Do you guys think the next iPhone will be edge to edge display? If so, how will cases work? Even the one piece speck case I use takes a tiny portion of the bezel edge.

Will they keep the same hardware size and just make the screen taller (maybe by removing the home button)? IMO, the placement of the home button is outdated. I wouldn't mind a small home button on the side or an on screen home button.

How big do you think they will go? 1/2 or whole inch?

What about staying true to it's design? Possibility of maybe a differ placement of the front camera, home button, etc.

I know nobody knows nothing yet, I'm just interested what you guys might speculate.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Edge to Edge is impossible in an lcd screen.

The LCD screens internally have a frame to deliver current to the pixels, it goes all around the screen. Plus the phone needs a place to internally mount the screen. You can't have it hanging in the air.

The closest you can get is the flamming new Galaxy S III from samsung!!!

A cool Retina HD OLED screen with 4.8" instead of the iphones puny 3.5".:D

So, are you just an Android fanboy, or are you actually advertising on behalf of Samsung? You've made few posts so far but most of them appear to be immature posts of the "OMGZ GET SAMSUNG SIII" nature, so I'm just intrigued to know what your story is.

Also, in regards to the screen size. The Galaxy SIII has a screen that is about 25-30% larger than that of the iPhone's, which to me isn't really necessary. I'm very happy with the 3.5 inch screen, it's a great compromise between portability and screen real estate and I probably won't upgrade from my iPhone 4 if all phones are going for 4inch+ screens.

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I believe in the longer screen, it gets you more screen real estate instead of everything inflated, plus you lose no pixel density so Apple won't lose face on that front.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I'm very happy with the 3.5 inch screen, it's a great compromise between portability and screen real estate and I probably won't upgrade from my iPhone 4 if all phones are going for 4inch+ screens.
So, you'll be done with smartphones forever then? Don't be ridiculous. Go somewhere and handle the 4" Samsung Captivate and you'll fall in love with the size and shape. Barely larger than the iPhone and much more comfortable to hold because it's not a square brick.

To the OP's point, there will never be an edge to edge screen on anything. Manufacturers need that edge space for the build (the iphone screen lays on top of the components: there's structure underneath it. Take a look at every other screen on the market. No edge to edge. If it could be done, some one would have done it by now. This and the fact that it's a stupid idea on a touch screen. You'd constantly be touch-activating things just by holding the phone. Won't happen.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
So, you'll be done with smartphones forever then? Don't be ridiculous. Go somewhere and handle the 4" Samsung Captivate and you'll fall in love with the size and shape. Barely larger than the iPhone and much more comfortable to hold because it's not a square brick.

To the OP's point, there will never be an edge to edge screen on anything. Manufacturers need that edge space for the build (the iphone screen lays on top of the components: there's structure underneath it. Take a look at every other screen on the market. No edge to edge. If it could be done, some one would have done it by now. This and the fact that it's a stupid idea on a touch screen. You'd constantly be touch-activating things just by holding the phone. Won't happen.
Edge to edge does not mean without a bezel. Edge to edge basically means the bezel is just really, really small and thin. Look at the newest LG and Samsung televisions: extremely small bezels, yet huge screens.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US

I never said that. I'd just keep my iPhone - I don't have to upgrade, is that difficult to understand? I've no need to use the Captivate, but thanks. Way to jump to conclusions, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.