Biggest excuse you ever got from genius if any

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ijohnbro, Nov 13, 2011.

1. ijohnbro macrumors regular

I had an iPhone that would overheat and a genius blamed it on my otterbox. He said the phone can't breath in that case. He said that case can void warranty on phone if it's causing it to over heat.

2. cababah macrumors 68000

"The yellow tint will go away, I promise. It just needs time to burn in."

3. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I've personally had nothing but good experiences with Geniuses however not everyone has, as you noted.

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

"AppleCare knows you're trying to damage your MBP so you can get a new one." This was after I asked for a replacement because my MBP has had a bunch of repairs

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

really? lol
    a genuis once blamed my hands for dropped calls.

6. SL4VE macrumors 6502

i woulda smacked him with my MBP than blamed it on his stupidity

7. nmork macrumors regular

Not a Genius, but a smug manager said "there's nothing wrong with this phone" when my home button wasn't working intermittently.

Had a genius look at it and he verified the issue and swapped the phone.

8. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I had an experience with a store manager that practically involved him refusing to accept that Apple could do anything wrong. That was when I went in for the third time with my old MacBook Pro for the video chip failure issue.

I guess (in some cases) they work their way up to the top and get increasingly cocky along the way.

9. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

If that happened on an iPhone 4 then your hands were at fault ;) :D

10. imahawki macrumors 6502a

I had a very bad experience with the genius bar when they scratched my aluminum frame, chipped the edge of the glass, and got a ton of dust and cloth fibers behind the glass on my 3 month old top end iMac. Mine had the preventative "recall" on the 1TB hard drive. I went ahead and got it done because, who wants to lose their data. There was dust everywhere inside the screen. They said they could remove it and that Apple had a special tool for removing it. I called BS and also pointed out the scratch/chip. Someone had obviously pried the screen off. He claimed they have suction cups to remove the glass. I said I'm sure they do but either someone decided to pry any way or banged the edge of my iMac against something when moving it.

To the point, his excuse for all the issues was that they have procedures to prevent that. Right, and everyone always follows the procedures... I'm an IT Auditor, I know that's not true. I find evidence of it every day for a living.

They ended up replacing my machine, but not until I yelled at them quite a bit.

Then at the end of it all as I was waiting for them to bring out the new box, a store manager walked over and asked if everything was OK. I think she felt like she walked into a buzz saw by the time I was done. But she was at least apologetic. The Genius Bar manager was a total cock sucker.

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

When I was going through replacements last year bc of multiple issues, genius accused me of buying and reselling iPhone 4's because I have registered so many. Denied me another replacement when my home button was broken. It wouldn't spring up.

12. szolr macrumors 6502

xD

I've had a few different ones.

"I'm sorry, but this is my first day. I'll just go and find someone who knows a bit more about Macs."

And, how's this? "Applecare's great value for students like you. I mean, if your laptop gets stolen with your coursework on and you don't have Applecare what do you do?"

Me: "Well, if I've got Applecare and my laptop gets stolen will you redo my coursework for me?"

Genius: "No... But we'll give you a new laptop."

Me: "What about the coursework?"

Genius: "You do it again?"

Me: "So Applecare's a waste of money, right?" :cool:

13. Antidoll macrumors regular

Apple care will give you a new laptop if you lost it?

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

They are likely burnt out with customers who are the same.:eek:

15. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

No lol.

16. Antidoll macrumors regular

oh lol then I'm confused about that imaginary conversation he had with the genius..

17. imahawki macrumors 6502a

When you work in retail you have to be able to move on when a customer treats you badly. Just because you just got done dealing with a ****** customer doesn't give you the right to treat the next one like ****.

18. dixie8123 macrumors member

Havent really got any from the geniuses, but one time when I was asking about a RAM update for my Macbook Pro, the genius told me that I could find RAM off the internet, Cruical.com to be exact and install it easily and save a couple hundred. Wont mention any names, but its very rare to find a genuis that says something like that.

19. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

When I got the email asking me how my genius bar experience was, I said it was awful and that the genius accused me of purposely breaking my computer. I got a call about a week later to elaborate on that. I said I was very unimpressed. When I went in recently to have my display assy, topcase and logic board replaced (wouldn't boot and the hinges made creaking sounds... and I didn't want to bother with asking for a replacement MBP), I did not see the genius who accused me. Actually, I was at the Apple store many times between now and the "incident" and have not seen the guy. I think he got fired, and if he did, he deserved it. He was a complete dick to me.

20. jburns macrumors regular

Wow!! Now that's what I call going the extra mile to insure a happy customer.

21. 7even macrumors 6502a

So at what point does it stop being the same Macbook Pro? If the display assembly, topcase, and logic board have been replaced, that leaves what... the hard drive, optical drive, and bottom case that are all original? Does that count as being the same computer? :D

22. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Me: give me your name(the manager) and the two geniuses that are right there.
    I'm going to issue a complaint.

Manager: I can't give you their names sir.

Me: it's on their ****ing badges, why are they covering their badges, unless they knew they did something wrong?

Manager: you can look at their badges if you'd like sir, but I can't give you their name.

Me *pissed off hardcore*

23. szolr macrumors 6502

Exactly. An excuse on the part of the genius. But I decided to play him along and so get in the coursework dig. ;)

24. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

The only thing that remains from the original MBP in my MBP is the wifi card and most of the internal screws. Got the HDD, battery, optical drive, magsafe board, a bunch of internal connectors, etc replaced.

25. Simon86 macrumors member

I was in an Apple store 2 weeks ago and heard a genius say the exact same thing. I think you'll find it's common for Geniuses to recommend this solution - he said that Apple Stores do not do RAM upgrades, and that it's only an option when purchasing online.