Biggest selling point of the iPad Mini for me...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macbook123, Oct 20, 2012.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

...will be the reduced size of the bezel at least on the sides.

I've always thought the humongous bezels Apple has put around their devices for years now are simply ridiculous. It's a trend that is destined to die in the long term, because it's impractical design. I have no idea why it is taking the company so long to realize this. Kind of like it took them years to realize that they have to get rid of DVD drives in laptops. And how they're still trying to wrap their brains around the fact that they need a powerful desktop computer without an integrated display, and that people have differently sized hands and some want bigger displays on their phones.

With the Mini I won't feel like I'm carrying around a friggin' photo frame.

And please don't give me the old "clearly you must be wrong in your critiques given that Apple is more successful computer company in the world" crap. Lack of competition doesn't equal optimal product development. Apple is slow, and with the Mini's smaller bezel they're taking a step in the right direction.

2. aleni macrumors 68020

9.7" ipad can't have a thinner side bezel because your thumb willl touch the screen accidentally.

but the mini in one hand, smaller side bezel so it is not a lot bigger than the nexus tablet, but with a bigger 7.85" screen vs android tablet that only has 7".

3. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I think for myself, the bezels and the weight of it will make a big difference. We shall see!

4. sineplex, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012

sineplex macrumors 6502

it wasn't technically possible. the display has its own bezel under the casing. if you'll notice... all tablets have the wide bezel for a reason. I think only now Sharps IGZO tech has advanced enough to be able to have a slimmer bezel. Apple doesn't make the displays. Now you understand. ;)

look at Google's Nexus7 cheap tech, cheap price, thicker bezel.

5. svensven macrumors newbie

I think with innovative design Apple can reduce bezel size on the 9.7". The first step is to make it thinner and lighter. The next step is to make the edges softer and more tapered so it's easier and more comfortable to hold. Then shave over 15-20% around the entire bezel. With the improved design users may not end up with too many more spurious inputs.

Remember, the more bezel they take off the smaller the device becomes and the easier it is to hold when keeping with a 9.7".

6. sineplex, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012

sineplex macrumors 6502

you don't get it. it's the screen technology to blame, they are waiting for the tech to advance. Of course they can design the casing to what ever size and shave it here... and shave it there... it's the digitizer's fault.... "the bezel around the panel itself." The casing Bezel "hides" the screen bezel"... and they tell you it's so you can hold it... it's pure BS marketing.

where are they going to put that? OUTSIDE?

If it could be done, it would have been done already... you have to wait for the tech to advance.

I hope this makes it easier to understand.

7. slicecom macrumors 68020

It's got nothing to do with screen technology. The bezel is there for you to grip the iPad without accidently touching the screen. The only reason it's not there on the sides of the iPad Mini is that you can hold it in one hand. It's not going away on the full sized iPad.

Look at the bezel on some LCD TV's, some of them are only a couple millimetres. It is NOT a technical limitation, but a conscious design choice.

8. sineplex macrumors 6502

NO. it's not! :rolleyes: eventually you'll see the bezels slowly start to get smaller. I'm telling you a fact. I'm not going to argue the point, just point you in the right direction. You can do your own research on that matter and you'll soon discover the limitations with the current tech. ...and don't start comparing the panels in some tv's it's using a different tech. Is your tv ... a retina multi touch screen running on a battery?

9. sineplex macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Another advantage of the smaller electronics is that the glass edge of each display can be made slimmer and their bezels smaller.

10. slicecom macrumors 68020

So you're saying that the 0.8mm-3mm reduction is going to enable Apple to make the bezel significantly smaller? Are you aware of how small a mm is? You just proved my point.

11. svensven macrumors newbie

No. You are wrong. As others have pointed out, it is NOT the screen technology. And like you know all about Apple's screen technology or something. You just post some picture from the Internet like that demonstrates anything. The only thing it demonstrates is that you are wrong. There's hardly any need for a large bezel on the iPad, period.

And if Apple really wants to, they'll engineer it and do it.

Here's the actual iPad 3 screen as it is today with hardly any frame around the screen:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+3+4G+Teardown/8277/2

Here's a real life example of a tablet that has a very small bezel: the Motorola XOOM:

http://www.xda-developers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/11459850-motorola-xoom.jpg?f39ce1

In addition, if you hold the iPad in portrait, you'll see how the meat of your hands and your thumbs protrude toward the end of the inner bezel. Both the size of the bezel and the physical size of the device are strategic and well thought out.

Now what are you going to say? But... but...

12. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting to see it in person, but I'm disappointed at how large it is, for a "mini"..

13. sineplex macrumors 6502

>>>And if Apple really wants to, they'll engineer it and do it.

it isn't viable yet... they do numerous stress testing they twist the frame etc... they can't give it a slimmer, bezel ... etc the glass will break or the frame will creek etc and not have the quality.

>>Now what are you going to say? But... but...

I'm going to say my point of view is the right one, and you shouldn't try to back up your claims with "what others have pointed out" like that means it is the correct one.

i'm also going to say like i said in the very beginning... once it becomes viable for a company to produce tablets with stonger materials and further advancements in screen technology you will see these devices start to come with slimmer bezels and nicer form factors and you will buy them and you will go "oh..."

14. svensven macrumors newbie

Motorola XOOM. Small bezel full size tablet.

There. This is reality. YOU ARE WRONG.

15. Akash.B macrumors regular

Agreed. For a device like the iPad it makes sense to have a wide bezel. Razor thin bezels work well for TV's, computer monitors, and phones, but not devices that you need your thumb on the front to hold onto.

16. hkfan24 macrumors regular

Yep. That right there is a fact. It has nothing to do with screen technology. Sharp has the technology to cut glass to any size necessary while retaining the tech within. Bezels are definitely needed on items that get handled on a daily basis. Heck I already accidentally press a button or two, or hold down the screen in a certain area by accident. TVs that have very minimal bezels barely get touched after the first day of taking it out of the box.

17. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Agreed I think Apple have waited for a few tech developments to fall in to place so next time they half the bezel and push the screen size up to ~10.4inch.

The screen tech is there.
    That size the bezel still enough to hold the the device without touching the screen. (Apple Ads show the worst way of holding the device. Hand cramp waiting to happen) Which gives the thumb more coverage from the corner.

Only missing link is the sensor to tell the device to activate then picked up, and finally make the home button redundant. Maybe like the smart cover sensor but also able to detect a hand.

18. sineplex macrumors 6502

you've already posted this in a link. it has an ugly fat bezel sorry.

19. svensven macrumors newbie

No. Wrong. Now you are being incredulous because you know you are wrong.

Technology does not limit Apple from using a smaller bezel on the iPad. This is a fact and this is indisputable. The technology has existed for years. The XOOM is one example of a full size tablet with a small bezel. In fact, the bezel is 47% smaller than the iPad 9.7's bezel and has a 10.1" screen.

20. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

Seems obvious to me that a bezel s needed because its quite heavey. If it was as light as paper then you wouldn't need one. While it takes a firm grip to hold, a bezel is preferred to avoid obscuring the screen while holding it.

21. sineplex macrumors 6502

the bezel will get smaller. you can comment all you like why it won't.

22. palpatine macrumors 68040

I could probably live with a smaller bezel on the large iPad, but to be honest, I am quite happy with the current bezel, and have no interest in seeing the size reduced.

23. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

The bezel on the iPad is the same width as your thumb.

This is not an accident.

A smaller iPad may have a smaller bezel because you will hold it in a different way.

It's not a technical limitation, it's good design.

24. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

You can't hold the iPad with one hand without having spray inputs and that is why you need bezels with enough space to rest your thumbs to hold the iPad. Just like the bezels on the iPhone is much smaller, width of the bezel is a functional correlative factor as to how a device is held; which depends on the width of the device in general. When a device is small enough to be gripped within the stretch of a hand, you can then reduce bezel width, because then you will be gripping onto the edges of the device, and not the surface itself.

Bezel width does depend on the machinery and tech available at that time, but plays a lesser deciding role compared to the ergonomics involved.

25. slicecom macrumors 68020

I guess sineplex believes Motorolla is years ahead of Apple in screen technology. :rolleyes: