Biggest threat to America's youth

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Jan 29, 2009.

?

What plagues today's youth in America?

1. Teen Pregnancy

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Alcohol abuse

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Nicotine addiction

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Reckless driving

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  5. Illegal drug addiction, including steroids

17 vote(s)
    28.3%
  6. Youth gangs

19 vote(s)
    31.7%
  7. Absentee parents

44 vote(s)
    73.3%
  8. Sexually transmitted diseases

10 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

What do you consider the worst threats to the youth in the USA?

2. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

republicans.

I kid I kid.

Probably lazyness, obesity, the falling standards of education in the US, the cost of College is outrageous, the fact that we are getting footed the bill for a massive war.....

4. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Yes, this too.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well now that theres a poll your going to get a very limited thread.

To 4god, whyd you cut out the war?

6. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

7. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Because IMHO, the "big bailout" will affect the next generation more.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I said Absentee parents, only because the real cause of all these problems are social engineers, that, through legislation/laws, rob the parents of reasonable control over their children.

All the other problems listed, spring from this basic problem.

9. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

As a volunteer social worker for AIDS patients, I have seen the devastation of heroin and crack cocaine abuse, and I never thought I have seen anything worse.

Then in my late-20s, I got into fitness, and many a fitness buff at that time, many years ago, were into steroids. Few knew how bad they could be.

Besides being able to kill outright like heroin or crack, even if you quit, you were almost doomed with stage 4 lymphoma by the time it was able to be detected. I spent a lot of time at Stanford's Cancer Center, and lymphoma was among the top killers.

Some of the steroids witch hunt is just that, but I can't think of a more destructive drug in the history of the world. Many shrug off the side effects saying, "I wasn't doing it to get high, but to get fit and healthy". And what can be wrong with trying to get fit? In the early-90s, there was a huge fitness trend and I caught that wave.

When athletes kill themselves and their whole family, including their own children, and this recurs over and over again, it's the worst of all drugs. Many drugs kill the users, some dealers, and a few innocent bystanders. Steroids, on the other hand, usually have innocent victims as the body count.

That being said, I still love baseball, the Giants, and Barry Bonds. But after some of the horror stories I have heard and unfortunately seen, even in my small town of fewer than 2,000 people, nothing scares me more.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I was going to say all of the above but it really comes down to the parents. Lack of parenting allows everything else to happen.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So your saying the war wont have an effect at all? How much has it already cost us? The ticker so far says 595 billion.....

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Unless the draft comes back no. The bailout is going to be passed on to the next generation to pay for.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I AM the next generation!

I'm 17.

14. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

Amen!

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Then I would suggest you get into ROTC a.s.a.p., so you can choose what service you will be in.

Don't want to be a grunt. Better the Navy. ;)

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

entitlement.
    parents.

thats all. in that order. and note that it is not necessarily "absentee" parents either.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

There will be no way I will go to war. Yes I know that sounds like a typical bratty teen, but I cannot support it in any way. I will sit in jail before I am shipped off to fight. Luckily I can get into Canada:)

18. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

maybe, the fact that Marijuana is still illegal and that because of the stupid prohibition of it, many youth will end up in prison.

Other things that are dangerous to American youth are obesity, laziness, a rapidly declining standard in education set forth by the Bush administration (No Child Left Behind).

American kids need to go play outside again, the U.S. needs to become a producing nation once again, the U.S. needs to build stuff, none of these "pushing money around" jobs.

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Biggest threat to America's Youth: Its predecessors' incessant need to spend money they didn't have.

2nd in line: An inability to grasp and utilize basic science and math skills.

20. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

These bailouts are BS . . . the S&L bailout (Bush's brother was one of the crooks), the banking bailout, the auto maker's bailout (2nd bailout for Chrysler). These corporations are run by crooks. And we want more deregulation for big business :confused:

21. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

And Obama is trying to spent $900 billion in one shot (pun not intended) right now.

It's not like it isn't necessary, I'm not trying to argue that point. But it will be getting paid off for years to come.

SLC

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And so will the war, which is still ongoing, which could potentiall be just as expensive. One is at least with good intention.

23. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

Well I thought Obama promised to end the war, didn't he? He surely won't let it escalate to the point that it's bill ends up at 900 billion, and he won't let it continue in it's current state long enough to get to that point either will he?

I understood that he'd be looking into pulling troops as soon as was realistically possible.

SLC