biggest upgrade is one of the smallest ones (Sapphire lens)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WindowsTraitor, Sep 12, 2012.

1. WindowsTraitor macrumors regular

I have been reading, some of the posts, but I do not see any mention to this.

I believe one of the best upgrades is the the addition of the sapphire lens. If you own a high end watch you know what I mean. The material is almost scratch resistant.

I enjoy taking pictures and videos with my I phone 4, but after 2 years, the lens has some scratches. Not sure about the optical characteristics, but I welcome a "scratch resistant lens"

2. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

iPod Touch has it too, no surprise. A good upgrade would be something that the iPhone 5 would have gotten and the iPod Touch would not have. if the sapphire lens were such a big deal, the ipod touch would not have gotten it this time around.

3. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

eh... ive never seen anyone complain about their iphone camera scratching... unless some serious abuse takes place.

its a good update but i wouldnt say *essential*. and if you use a protection on your phone, like many do, its worthless.

4. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

well a win win for both the touch and the iphone I guess..

----------

i think you will be able to see also some difference in the picture with this lens. We shall see once we start receiving the iphone 5s.

5. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

i dont know... are high end cameras (not phones) also made with this glass? im not sure but i suppose they would use this material if it made a difference in the picture.

6. h00ligan macrumors 68030

7. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

well for my likes that is a big difference from the original image quality:

"You’ll notice they’re a bit soft and underexposed, but there’s no ‘image’ of the scratch, just like a dust particle can’t make an image on the sensor: "

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

(synthetic) sapphire sounds expensive, but it's not. a $100 fake watch can have a sapphire crystal too, not just high end ones, and watch crystals are far larger than the iPhone lens. it's routinely touted as a fancy upgrade, but the reality is, sapphire has become much cheaper to manufacture in the past few years. an 18mm sapphire replacement crystal for a ladies watch (far bigger than the iPhone lens) costs $18, and that's full retail. The iPhone lens is, what, 5mm? That would be maybe $5 retail, and probably less than $1 wholesale if you're buying a few million.

if you think it's the biggest upgrade on the iphone, please email the Apple marketing team and let them know what a great job they did on you.

9. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

if i were to write to them I would tell them what a bad job they did by not talking more about this. As you say it i may be a cheap upgrade, but I still think you will see the difference once you have the phone in hand.

10. Purant macrumors 6502

Why? I mean what does it do, besides not getting scratched?

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

not sure what difference you are expecting to see. certainly it won't be the physical appearance nor will it be evident in the photos. it is an upgrade in peace of mind only, for those relative few who have somehow managed to scratch the glass covering of their older iPhone lens.

12. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Yes but that was an example of severe lens damage. Whilst the iPhone can be capable in good light for smaller prints, most photographers aren't relying on it and some small scratches at the equivalent of f80 are probably irrelevant unless they are extremely severe.

13. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

It also has superior clarity and light transfer.

14. crazyitalian198 macrumors regular

I've had my phone since launch and had the back plate replaced about 5 months ago due to a "clouding" of the lens. It had become so cloudy that the camera was unusable. I used a bumper for the first year and no case thereafter. I can only assume it was a wearing of the coating in my pocket. I'm fairly OCD when it comes to my devices and can assure it wasn't user error.

(and it wasn't moisture, took the plate off and it was dry as bone).

Anyway, this is certainly an update that I am surprised and thrilled by.

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Perception is an interesting topic. I've noticed the mainstream reports on news sites and other non tech sites, seem to have decided there's no single significant feature. Nor do they report on the iPhone 5 like it's a really big deal. What they do agree on, is it's a nice new iPhone that will continue to sell in record setting numbers.

16. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

My iPhone 4&4S never got scratched. So it's a non-issue. Used no case for both the entire time.

17. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

My 10 month old 4S has no lens scratches. Not saying its not a cool upgrade but I don't think it's necessary. I'm just thankful I got panoramic in iOS 6..

18. txflyfish macrumors member

Still it's nice that apple considered this detail. lenses deserve good quality filters ...or best no filter at all. Would you ever stick a filter in front of a Leica summilux 50 asph or Zeiss hensoldt?

19. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

the lens on my 4 is incredibly scratched. not sure how it happened but it's bad. pictures now do have this soft feel and sometimes, in very bright light, seem to scatter the light more. very happy with this feature. simple but brilliant idea.

20. nws0291 macrumors 6502

On such a small lens light is huge. The more light the sensor can gather the less it needs to compensate. Shutter speed and noise is reduced. ISO sensitivity is not the best. A scratched lens will effect the amount of light that gets in.

21. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I looked at this as just another name gimmick. "eyes free" "retina display" "sapphire lens" "up to two times faster"

Then again I didn't buy an iPhone 5 either. I do love the camera on the 4S, and a really worthwhile camera update to the iPhone 5 (from my pov) would have been enough all by itself to get me to switch right away.

22. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

I am also extremely excited about the new lens! I havent been able to take photos with my iPhone 4 for like 6 months now because I decided to not use a case at one point, and then my current camera lens go ruined from scuff marks. It wasnt near keys, coins, or anything else and it still managed to scuff just being in my jeans pocket! So, i am very happy about this new lens because i will be able to actualy use my phone without a case and not worry!

23. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I couldn't agree more. I have the same with my 4 and was very grateful Apple have used the sapphire glass :)

24. McPhallus macrumors regular

I found it interesting that they referred to it as a "crystal" rather than a lens in the presentation.

As you say, sapphire is essentially scratch-proof, but it can be chipped if impacted significantly. People need to be careful about protecting the lens on their new phone.