Bikers for trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 26, 2017.

1. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

3. JackieInCo macrumors 601

You can't make this stuff up.

We served many knuckle sandwiches. Those big bad women. :(

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Living near Milwaukee, and owning my own Harley-Davidson motorcycle, I got to know quite a few people who probably count themselves as "Bikers for Trump". Many of them are perfectly nice people, they virtually all have decent jobs, families, and lifestyles.

But I do have to say that, on the whole, they seemed to pursue a motorcycle-related vision of "freedom" that struck me as being not only fundamentally unsound from the perspective of personal safety, but also contrary to the basic facts of engineering.

For many years now, their political ambitions have been centered around a group called ABATE, which lobbies forcefully (and loudly) for the right of motorcyclist not to wear protective helmets. It simply did not matter to these people how many scientific studies there were demonstrating the effectiveness of helmets in preventing injury or death to motorcyclists. It did not matter to them how many of their membership ended up dead or horribly maimed as a result of otherwise survivable accidents. The right to ride around without a helmet was some sort of manifestation of their vision of "freedom." Another mantra was that of "Loud Pipes Save Lives" - apparently on the premise that modifying the exhaust system of their motorcycles to generate ear-splitting volumes would somehow protect them from collisions with other vehicles. This had the predictable result that they not only manage to make life disagreeable to their neighbors, but also resulted in their bikes becoming slow and mechanically unreliable as a result. Not a few of them also ended up with chronic, irreversible hearing damage.

I'm not sure what this says about "Bikers for Trump" as a political movement. But whatever their goals, it seems unlikely that they will be firmly grounded in either common sense or their own best interests.

5. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

try watching the video till the end................