Bill being reintroduced to legalize LGBTQ discrimination...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by R.Perez, Dec 21, 2016.

1. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

So much for leaving LGBTQ folks alone eh?

Source: http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...-would-be-devastating-lgbtq-americans-n698416

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It will still likely not even get a hearing.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

****ing retards (Cruz/Lee)

4. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Hmmm that seems overly broad and could actually legalize Sharia, talk about unintended consequences.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Good grief, don't these people ever get tired of being against gays? It really boggles my mind how obsessed they are with gay people.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

when your sex life sucks you have to attack everyone else s.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

gun nuts
    ammosexuals
    penis extensions
    on & on & on you guys go.....never change steve.

but yeah these are grade A morons we are dealing with here. as Alex points out in post 4 it's a major can of worms .

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Well, if that's the reason and they are firing their arrows in my direction they are definitely pointing the wrong way! Big league!

9. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

Regardless of your beliefs, it shouldn't infringe upon people's rights. That's kind of the foundation of this country. This is ridiculous.

10. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I don't understand why they're so obsessed with gays. I don't have a problem with people not approving of "alternative" lifestyles, but attempting to legislate morality or religious dogma never ends well. One would think that a cursory look at Islamic countries that have no concept of separation of church and state, and are almost universally economic and social disasters, would give them a clue.

11. appleisking macrumors 6502a

The second part of the bill makes no legal sense. Sexual relations should be preserved for such a marriage (sic. man and woman). Does that mean a business could refuse me service for having premarital sex? Anyway even if it passes, good luck surviving the courts. The unconstitutionality of the bill is immediate even before considering the infringement of LGBTQ rights. The federal gov. has no authority over defining marriage period.

12. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Freedom of religion is part of the right of self determination. If you don't like how other people choose to live (provided it doesn't affect you), then you just have to get along. The idea of individual harm was behind the SCOTUS decision to repeal same-sex discrimination. I think it applies here too.

13. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Also, how would a business determine whether you have engaged in premarital sex? Would they have you fill out a questionnaire before checking out? :confused:

14. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Republicans: "Let's get the government off your backs."

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Oh they'll know. You can tell by the swagger in your walk. :D

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

rights only matter if they are my rights. don't forget that. :rolleyes:

17. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Buzzfeed is so disingenuous and phony. Here's how they characterize the legislation:

And here's the exact language of the bill:

So if you believe that marriage is between one man and one woman, the legislation simply provides that the government cannot take any discriminatory action against you. It DOES NOT SAY one can refuse to serve LBGTQ people as Buzzfeed would lead you to believe.

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'm Catholic, I'll make a cake of two guys fisting each other if you pay me enough. I'll even deliver it to the Hall.

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

LOL, Thank you for that...I haven't laughed that hard in months. I needed that. :D

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am not really pro-gay marriage, but this is utter crap.
    I think Cruz just wants to give something to hardcore conservatives for his SCOTUS hearings.

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I think the religious right was given a giant middle finger this election cycle and this is their way to try and make them relevant again.

22. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Depending on how this belief is "acted on", wouldn't they be covered federal anti-discrimination laws anyway?

To make it even more specific (in terms of marriage and pre-marital sex), seems redundant. No?

Unless they're putting it on the books to serve as a defense for those who choose to violate anti-discrimination laws.

23. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk
    I'm a woman's man: no time to talk

24. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

No, just that there can be no recrimination from the government if one does discriminate. Nice distinction.

:rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Dec 21, 2016 ---
    We have a winner! This is merely putting the foundation in place to make discrimination, without government repercussion, possible.

25. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Because logic! :D

Meanwhile, this country has much greater problems and Ted Cruz and co. should certainly be focusing on more important things.