Bill Clinton ads from '92... Wow the Dems have changed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DakotaGuy, May 21, 2017.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I'm guessing based on the first ad today's Democratic voters would have never voted for Bill Clinton in '92, but maybe a little more of this and a little less identity politics is what it will take for the Democrats to rebuild the party. It's great to be for causes like gay marriage (heck I'm gay), but you also have to say and do things that appeal to a wide majority of voters. Focusing on identity politics and wedge issues like gun bans doesn't help win the majority.

There is also a good old Perot ad in there for your viewing enjoyment.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Clinton's rhetoric was great.

Clinton's Policies were part of the decades long project to cede power from the government (which people actually have the ability to participate via vote in) to corporations.

Clinton's "Third way" corporatism, which has infected the power brokers in the DNC, is the reason why we have Donald Trump in office. The Democrats decided to get in bed with the banks, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out why so much of America has felt abandoned by their leaders when both parties only cater to the top 10%....the GOP is at least honest about it (which for some reason American's are cool with being stabbed in the back as long as you're forthcoming about it).

The DMCA, bank deregulation, NAFTA flooding Mexico/South America with cheap corn resulted in the rise of the cartels as millions of farmers had to turn to the only cash crop left, mega mergers, etc. The guy was a ****-tastic corporatist riding high on the temporary "success" of his corporate policies that had the luck of the chickens coming home to roost after he left office.

This is coming from a guy who used to be proud to have the same birth day as Slick Willy.....until I actually started looking at his policies (Greenspan and "worker instability" are precisely why half of America is essentially poor today). He sold out the Democrat's New Deal principles and set the ball rolling to where we are today.

3. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

A lot has changed since 1992. The things that Trump said during this campaign would have instantly disqualified him back then. Don't fool yourself into thinking the GOP hasn't changed. The swing to the extreme right is well noted.

4. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

the world is vastly different then it was 25 yrs ago. Of course political ads are going to seem just as different.

5. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Yeah it's not like a quarter of a century has passed or anything. :rolleyes:

6. zin macrumors 6502

What do you define as extreme right?

7. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Putting party over country. They do it every single day.

Republicans used to be the reasonable party, today they're the loony party. Their desire to deregulate everything, even at the expense of public health and common sense is jaw dropping. Their desire to strip Americans of healthcare and all basic protections is disgusting. This is not the GOP of the past, they're dead and gone. Many old school Republicans have long acknowledged this fact. But I'm sure you'll refuse to see it.

8. zin macrumors 6502

I was thinking more along the lines of policy. There's nothing unique about the right wing in putting party over country.

9. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Gutting the EPA, gutting the department of education, attacking scientists and journalists. Putting people at the heads of departments that despise those departments and spent their entire careers fighting them in court. The goal is pure sabotage at the expense of the people. Stop defending it. It's never been this way and it isn't normal. This presidential abortion is a very dark time in our history, one day we will be studying it in history books wondering how the hell we allowed it to happen.

Don't fool yourself into thinking there is nothing unique about this situation. I will not allow you or anybody else to normalize this.

No worries though, 2018 is around the corner.

10. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Would you support your member of congress voting to change healthcare to how it worked in 1992?

11. zin macrumors 6502

It isn't sabotage (in most cases). It's just a different view of what government should be. It's sabotage to you because you think the government should be greatly involved in those areas. Not saying I agree or disagree, but jiving them because they're not defending a government programme just because it exists is ignorant of the other side's perspective.

12. JMacHack macrumors 6502

I distinctly remember a border wall being on the table well into the mid 2000's.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

hell Obama was for tuff immigration.

14. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Oh I wasn't talking about the border wall. I've actually completely forgotten about it. As a matter of fact, Trump probably has too.
    --- Post Merged, May 22, 2017 ---
    Putting someone in charge of the Environmental PROTECTION Agency who doesn't believe in climate change and has no actual interest in PROTECTING the environment isn't sabotage? Ok buddy.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

sure hope so, its freaking stupid.

16. JMacHack macrumors 6502

Then what exactly? I can't even remember half of the controversial stuff besides the travel ban (which I will agree was dumb and at best a knee-jerk reaction)

But from what I've seen of Trump, he's been saying the same things since the late 80's in terms of politics. The politics have changed, and Trump's more a relic of Reagan-era politics rather than the Neo-nazi he is painted as today.

17. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

In 1992, America would have never elected a President that accused the previous president of not being a citizen and demanding his birth certificate. In 1992, America would have never elected a President after a tape leaked of him making disgusting comments about p***ygrabbing. In 1992, we would have never elected a president who referred to mexicans as criminals and rapists and wanted to ban an entire religion from entering the country. Need I continue?

You see, we used to have standards back then and would never have elected a narcissistic 70 year old toddler as president. The fact that evangelicals turned out for him in droves disqualifies them from ever preaching morality to anyone again.

18. JMacHack macrumors 6502

The EPA has been overreaching its jurisdiction for awhile now, let's not pretend that the entire EPA is just emission regulations. The "Waters of the U.S. Act" greatly hurt many farmers for very little if zero actual benefit. Rolling back a few regs is a good step in my opinion.

The Department of Education and the States have been wrestling over education for a long time now, with neither side winning. Also, considering the "common core" education is just another bad repeat of "New Math" from the 60's, I would say putting a brake on these guys is a decent move.

And frankly, the best way to keep agencies like these in check is to appoint their most vocal critics.

In short, a lot of the Federal intervention by said agencies has been detrimental (or non-beneficial to the public at large at the best), and some restraint is in order.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

in 1992 we could have found reasonable prosecutors :D