"Bill Clinton: George H.W. Bush will help President Hillary"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by freeny, Dec 18, 2007.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Quote of article-
    ORANGEBURG, South Carolina (CNN) – Former President Bill Clinton said Monday that the first thing his wife Hillary will do when she reaches the White House is dispatch him and his predecessor, President George H.W. Bush, on an around-the-world mission to repair the damage done to America's reputation by the current president — Bush's son, George W. Bush.

"Well, the first thing she intends to do, because you can do this without passing a bill, the first thing she intends to do is to send me and former President Bush and a number of other people around the world to tell them that America is open for business and cooperation again," Clinton said in response to a question from a supporter about what his wife's "number one priority" would be as president.

A spokesman for the George H.W. Bush was not immediately available to comment on whether the former president would chip in some diplomatic help after his son leaves office next year.

Clinton and the elder Bush, rivals in the 1992 presidential election, have grown chummy in recent years, often traveling and appearing at public events together. In 2005, they started a charity to help victims of Hurricane Katrina.

UPDATE: The Republican National Committee issued this statement in response to Clinton's comments:

"In 2009, a Republican president will be working with our friends and allies abroad to continue to keep our nation safe," said RNC spokesman Danny Diaz. "The American people expect our leaders — both current and former — to present serious solutions to the very real challenges confronting our nation."

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby
    End Quote
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't help but smile while reading this article :) ;)

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Hopefully we'll never have to see this disproved. :)

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Jesus Christ people! Doesn't anyone see this as a good thing? Isn't one of our chief complaints that politicians don't work together enough? Now- I certainly don't want another Clinton in office if it can be helped, but if we do end up with her, I'd rather have Bush I helping out rather than Bush II.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Frankly, after watching Lieberman make a liar out of himself yesterday by endorsing McCain, I'm a little wary of politicians crossing the aisles...

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think it's interesting that Bill Clinton has a better relationship with George H.W. Bush than he does with the Boy Wonder.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You mean it's interesting that Bush 41 has a better relationship with Clinton than with his own son?

'Cause frankly, it's not surprising in the least that Clinton and Bush 43 don't have any kind of relationship.

8. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Its not surprising. Bush 1 was know to have good relations (relatively) in many countries, namely in the middle east. Clinton has the same respect.

Whoever wins the presidency should do this.

9. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I wonder if Bill consulted either Hillary or Bush 41 before opening his pie hole.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well, I didn't say it was surprising, but the relationship is interesting, because as you'll remember, Bill Clinton is the person who denied George H.W. Bush a second term. In general I think most former presidents have been fairly chummy -- it is a rather exclusive club, to which W. might not be automatically admitted.

11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Nixon that.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What exactly did he lie about.:confused: The Democrats threw him under the bus, you don't expect a ringing endorsement do you.

14. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Please explain?

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

deargodpleasemakeitstop. :D

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

He lied when he said: "I want Democrats to be back in the majority in Washington and elect a Democratic president in 2008" during a 2006 debate with his Democratic primary opponent Ned Lamont. Or he flip-flopped.

I'm curious as to how you think the Democrats "threw him under a bus"? Lieberman lost a Democratic primary, then went ahead and ran as a member of the "Conneticut for Lieberman" party, going on to defeat the Democratic nominee. I'm not sure how you get Lieberman thrown under a bus out of that scenario?

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Just goes to show how far left the democratic party was in Liebermans state. Amazing his party couldnt elect him but the PEOPLE did. Partys suck anyways I think its only proper that George Sr clean up Jr's total mess. There was a reason Daddy didnt get Saddam.

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I couldn't Filmore in agreement.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That's Truman.

20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Watch your filibusters.

21. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Frankly, I couldn't give Adams. Thrice.