Bill Clinton: I Regret DADT

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Sep 22, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- this is a bigger fib than Lewinsky. Fact is that Clinton did what was good for Clinton. He threw us under the bus too many times to count.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/09/22/Bill_Clinton_I_Regret_DADT/

You're a damn liar, Bill. Some of us were around then and know exactly what you did. When is an apology not an apology? When Bill Clinton is giving it.

And while we're on the subject of jackasses and liars:

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/09/21/McCain_Pressed_on_Military_Outing/

You're as full of crap as Clinton.

2. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I just heard this too... What a crock!

What, did he just sit in the oval office blindfolded green lighting whatever was put on his desk???

Please!

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- and now for McCain to get up and spout his BS, it's just ridiculous.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think you have just stated the formula for most politicians. :(

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Unfortunately, Clinton was notorious for this.

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I can't believe that in the year 2010 in a western nation that this debate is still going on. This is disgusting. Can't wait for people my age to take this country from these idiot baby boomers.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, the "Peace and Love" generation turned out to be not so great after all.

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah, at least they weren't as bad as the generation before them. Remember, as much as the baby boomers are still closed minded, they played a huge role in ending segregation. The gay issue is just beyond their time, that one is for us.

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh horse ****! There were huge pushes for gay rights back then too. It's hardly beyond their time. They simply chose to do nothing.

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah, what i mean is that society as a whole wasn't ready for that in the 1960's. We're just getting there now, and the US always seems to be behind other western nations when it comes to this stuff, but we always get it right in the end. I believe that within 10 years from now, gay marriage, gay adoption, and DADT will all be issues of the past. Unfortunately, it looks like the supreme court will have to get this done, just like every other time.

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Society is never "ready" for anything. They never have been in the past either. I don't know if this will all be over in ten years, TBH. The political wind can change any time. Look what happened in the 80s when AIDS hit. Do you really want me to tell you what life was like for us then? In the 70s we had made so much progress, then AIDS. It undid every bit of progress we had made. Every last bit. It might as well have been the 50s.

12. Shivetya macrumors 65816

McCain is telling the truth there, they are not actively looking for gays or such, especially by hunting through their mail. Declaring one self gay to get out of an enlistment did move to the forefront after DADT became the way out.

Clinton is as Clinton is. He is more worried about his legacy, let alone his wife's future political ambitions. 100:1 she would have repealed it day one.

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry Shivvy- but the military has indeed gone hunting for gays in their ranks.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/09/22/Maj__Mike_Almy_Responds_to_John_McCain/

McCain is either a ****ing liar or senile. Nice try though. Your bias is showing once again.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's it right there. They're always afraid.

Afraid to try something new; afraid to admit they could've been wrong; afraid of facts that contradict what they "know"; afraid of what their friends will think; afraid of the consequences, real or imagined; afraid it's going to cost them money.

Hey...I think I just conjugated the entire conservative movement. (And quite a few moderates and weak-kneed "liberals" as well.)

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Both.

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Whose fault is it that we haven't gone further than we have? Those who agree change is needed, but haven't been able to get it done, or those who oppose it and are successful in derailing progress?

Clinton failed to do more than DADT, but was that because he didn't want to, or couldn't? I really don't know, I didn't follow the issue that much back then because it wasn't an issue that I cared about nearly as much as the other issues of the day.

17. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

What incentive does Clinton have to lie about DADT now? I'm not suggesting that he isn't (93 predates my political awareness, I was 9).

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

If he couldn't he should have said so. The fact is that he could have done it then- easily. He was supposed to do it with an executive order, and then caved under pressure.

I don't know, but I wish he'd stop.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Just more proof that politicians are sub humans who only care about what is best for themselves. This is more true the higher you go.

Obama for example I do not trust to do a damn thing what is best for me. He will only do what is best for Obama. Those are the type of people we should not want in power but all we have in this government.

Your choice are to either be beaten to death with a metal bat or a golf club take your pick. You are dead either way. That is our political system.

20. coolmacguy macrumors regular

The example of hunting through email was brought up because of a specific discharged soldier who testified that his private email was searched at the DADT hearings, lol.

21. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Clinton's description is pretty much how I remember it going down at the time. It wasn't what he wanted, it was what he could get.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

It was all he could get because instead of attacking the side that prevented progress, Clinton was attacked for not doing more. His political capital was diminished, his base deserted him, and he was unable to do more. Instead of learning from that mistake, Obama is getting heckled because the Republicans blocked repeal.

I'm sorry, but that's just stupid. Lee, I agree with you most of the time, but this failure is squarely on the shoulders of the Republicans.

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry, mcrain- but I was around for what he did and how he did it. For every promise he made to the gay community, we got the exact opposite. Clinton did not give one rat's ass about us as is evidenced from the fact that he even went so far as to tell John Kerry to drop his support for gay issues in the 2004 election. Clinton was notorious for putting putting his finger in the air to see which way the wind was blowing. Obama defintely could be doing more as well. At the very least he could suspend enforcement until repeal. That would go a long way. But at least he's fighting for repeal instead of doing what Clinton did. And know this- we swore to hold Democrats' feet to the fire this time, and we intend to.

You can romanticize Clinton all you want. But the fact is that he had the opportunity to do something about this. And instead of doing something positive, he caved and gave Republicans everything they asked for. Are Republicans to blame? Yep. But so is Clinton. He had the power to do something about it, but he gave in to them instead of fighting for what was right. And he gave in badly. DADT did absolutely NOTHING to help gay people in the military and may have actually made things worse.

Don't give me this "Oh, but it was all he could do at the time" BS. I was there fighting that fight back then too. I remember it well. You act as if we all let Republicans off the hook for it or something- not at all. But we're fighting them all the time. We don't expect to get screwed by our own.

BTW- I do believe Clinton was elected to a second term. He was far from "deserted". If he really regrets DADT, then he should sincerely apologize and quit making excuses.

24. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Exactly and it was either DADT or the GOP would have attempted to push forth a amendment to the constitution of ban gay marriage period. My issue with this is that as a Black gay male it took my race about 50-100 years to get full equal rights and we still don't have them.

25. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

What does marriage equality have to do with the military?