Bill Cosby Charged With Sexual Assault

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Dec 30, 2015.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

To my knowledge, the only accusations where the statute of limitations has not expired. You might say he's SOL over the SOL.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/latest-bill-cosby-charged-2004-case-36007715

2. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

3. citizenzen Suspended

Not sure what there is to discuss here.

He sounds like a despicable character whose true personality is completely opposite of the public personae we knew. If the accusations are true, then hopefully he'll be held accountable for at some of the criminal conduct that he's appeared to engage in for decades.

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Hopefully these charges will stick and he will be made to account for his actions. He seems to have ducked the charges over the years. If he is guilty of the conduct, which is despicable, them he must pay for those crimes.

5. citizenzen Suspended

I'd just change "must" to "should". That's about all we can expect from our justice system.

But that's just a quibble.

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Agree "should". Our justice system in Canada is not much different to yours. It is unfortunate to see what some can get away with. One can always hope?

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I still don't understand why the media cares so much about this story. Bill Cosby hasn't been relevant since his TV show ended 20+ years ago.

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

sad I liked the guy. shows you never really know someone. Hope the women get justice or at least closure.

9. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I think these charges will have a hard time sticking once this gets in front of a judge.

I'm sure his lawyers will have a field day poking holes in stories that are decades old at this point.

10. citizenzen Suspended

Go to trial and it's almost guaranteed to end in a hung jury.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

have you met the media? A sex scandal involving a beloved American icon? Decades of abuse? The media lives for this sort of thing.

12. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

If he committed these crimes he's been accused of then he should be made to pay for them, unfortunately celebrities are protected by their networks or whomever and the victims are told to keep their mouths shut, like the cases that came to light in the UK a couple of years back involving a man called Jimmy Saville who escaped any punishment as he was dead, so got away scott free.

13. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I agree. I think Cosby will have his name dragged through the mud but will ultimately be free to go.

14. citizenzen Suspended

Though it would appear that he deserves having his named dragged through the mud.

In a deposition he admitted buying qualudes to give to women to have sex. His side of the story is that these were all consensual encounters. But when you have ~50 women saying otherwise, then there's little doubt IMO that the man is a serial rapist.

15. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Hung or acquittal. This is, after all, a case of he said, she said...and she said....and she said....and she said....and she said....and she said....and she said....and she said....and she said....and she said....

16. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Let's keep in mind quaaludes were a massively used recreational drug in the 1970's. Like most recreational drugs, use to enhance the sexual experience is not unusual. I have no doubt whatsoever that Cosby may have used quaaludes in this way at the time.

As for the rape charge, he said she said is all we have. A "serial rapist" is innuendo at best. Cosby was/is famous and rich, and will certainly have a slew of sexual partners in his past that will be consensual in nature.

These so-called victims have a lot to prove.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

[​IMG]
    True. You want the man to have his day in court, of course...but if ever there was an example of damning circumstantial evidence, this is it.

18. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes.

[​IMG]

19. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

If true, he deserves punishment. The court case is going to be a media circus. Nobody here has any clue what's going on, what the facts are, what the evidence is, etc.... Just remember that.

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It seems improbable, shall we say, that the avalanche of allegations of sexual abuse and misconduct leveled against Cosby are without merit. Whether or not this particular charge has sufficient evidence to secure a conviction remains to be seen. And even if Cosby is convicted on this charge, it seems a somewhat hollow victory, given that probably dozens of other assaults will continue to go unpunished for years - sometimes decades - after the event.

I do wonder what the Cosby case says about the state not only of American justice, but also about a culture where sex, celebrity, money, power, desire, and plain gender dynamics combine in such a toxic brew.

All of the women raising accusations knew Cosby, either professionally or socially. Why did he, as alleged, feel the need to resort to drugs and deception? Was his image as a much-loved national figure so totally at odds with his sexual desires that he truly felt no other way of gratifying his urges? Why did he think this sort of behavior was either acceptable or unlikely to go unpunished? And what was it that led so many of these women to leave his alleged crimes unreported for so long?

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

He lost a lot of freedom and he will never be free of this it a noose around his neck to the grave.

22. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I'm waiting for a car chase down the 405 in a White Land Rover.

Popcorn in hand.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Rolf Harris, Jimmy Saville and Max Clifford, to give but three examples, have been convicted of similar offences over here in recent years.