Bill Gates is no longer the richest person in the world...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Miguey, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Miguey macrumors 6502

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6267714.stm

[​IMG]

Mexico's telecoms tycoon Carlos Slim has overtaken Bill Gates to become the world's richest person, according to a respected Mexican financial website.

Mr Slim is now worth $67.8bn (£33.6bn), above Microsoft founder Mr Gates' $59.2bn, Sentido Comun says.

It said Mr Slim's wealth has rocketed into top place after the recent 27% surge in the share price of his largest company, America Movil.

He has a 33% stake in the firm, Latin America's largest mobile phone network.

Numerous investments

Mr Slim, whose business interests are based in Mexico City, is the 67-year-old son of Lebanese immigrants.

He started his business life in property before moving on to invest in a stock brokerage, a bottling company, and, more recently, the telephone sector.

Mr Slim also owns the Inbursa financial group and the Grupo Carso industrial conglomerate, whose interests range from retail stores to restaurants.

During the Latin American economic crisis of the early 1980s, Mr Slim made a name for himself - and substantial profits - by buying a number of struggling companies at very low prices before transforming their fortunes.

In April, Forbes magazine estimated that Mr Slim was the world's second-richest person behind Mr Gates and ahead of US billionaire investor Warren Buffett.

Like Mr Gates, Mr Slim is well-known for his generous charity donations.

His wealth is in marked contrast to the 53% of Mexico's population that the World Bank says are living in poverty.

Sorry if its a repost..Didn't know where to put it so I tried here..

2. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Bill Gates was never the richest man in the world.

Rothschild. They own half the world. The total of their wealth has never been audited.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Rothschild? Who are they?

I thought it was the Sultan of Brunei. It's just that he's on a more unofficial list. I remember him being on the official list, and then one year, they made 2 lists where they didn't include the Sultan and some other royalty on the most publicised of the two lists.

4. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

5. mpw Guest

Those lists can be woefully inaccurate, I'm sure these guys are both rich, but some of it will be 'paper' wealth and some guessed by the journalist.

6. walangij macrumors 6502

You'll find answers that range from reasonable to conspiracy theories on this one. Basically they are bankers, very very powerful/rich bankers with a family legacy.

Anyways, who cares who is richest? I only care about the richest person who gives back to the community. Billions of dollars, hard to imagine why someone would need so much and why they wouldn't give a lot back.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

He's one of them....definitely within the Top 10. I think he was like #6 or #8 or something.

8. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

10. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Before i read this on engadget, i had never heard of this guy :eek:
    the sultan of Brunei has all of his wealth tied in oil in the south pacific, i'm not really sure why he doesn't get counted on the lists.

11. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Meh, all of this just goes to show that people are making too much money off of gas.

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i'm glad gates isn't the richest anymore. i never would have guessed this guy was the richest though

13. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I judge people's wealth on the amount of accumulated Snap-on they have. And being that neither one of those goons owns a single Snap-on tool, they're poor in my book.

Paris Hilton is poor too. :p

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

15. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

Since my smile is priceless, I declare I'm the richest :D

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Poor Bill, next thing we will see him in line pleading for food stamps.. ;) :D

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yayyyy. if he's getting poorer does that mean M$ is aswell??? probably not. i sure hope so tho

18. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Well, I got it, if no one else does. ;)

19. Miguey thread starter macrumors 6502

I got it too...after 20 minutes of struggle >.>

I had no clue before this that telecommunications was such a big market...

20. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

As said, they were bankers - very, very wealthy ones.
    There is a house near to where i live called Halton House. It was the party house for one of the children which he used a maximum of once a month. This place is huge and had over 1500 acres at the time and now is the home of many RAF officers

21. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

I thought it was the prince of Dubai the port city

22. Queso macrumors G4

The Rothschild brothers made an absolute fortune out of the Napoleonic wars. They successfully bribed the French harbour officials into allowing their ships to dock and as a result had a near monopoly on Anglo-French trade during the time. They then made sure that this money was put to good use. During the Battle of Waterloo they set up a network of couriers to ensure that they (sat in London and Paris) had first news of how the battle was going. When it looked like Wellington had victory, they knew before anyone else, and bought as many shares as they could on the London market whilst dumping their Paris stock. Once official news then arrived the markets leapt and collapsed respectively, giving them control of a massive section of the British economy just as the Empire went into real ascendancy whilst shielding them from losses in France.

Thanks to this wealth they and their descendants had enormous influence over the world for much of the next century. Some reckon they still have it, but then others say this is just a conspiracy theory often told because they happen to be Jewish. Take as you will.

23. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Fascinating story dynamicv- I never knew that before! :)