Bill Gates: Private enterprise is too inefficient

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by sigmadog, Nov 2, 2015.

1. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From your OP one would never guess this had anything to do with climate change.

3. Praxis91, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015

Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

He's a piece of garbage globalist and eugenicist.

The private sector is superior to the public sector in every way. Remember that the largest mass murderer in HISTORY is 20th Century government, specifically (democide).

The profit motive is what gives you innovation and efficiency. The bloated bureaucracy gives you zilch. Government does not produce anything. It just takes.

Just imagine how much better off we would be without wasting so much money on maintaining a global empire (150 bases in 120 countries).

4. zin macrumors 6502

Federal and State workers over the last half century have given you the cleanest water and air in history; the safest workplace environments in history; the fittest public health in history, thanks to disease reduction and food and drug evaluations (Thalidomide is a good example, the FDA refused classification despite other countries granting approval and suffering from the extensive birth defects); the Interstate Highway System; the Global Positioning System (free for everybody on the planet who can send/receive a GPS signal, by the way); one of the most reliable and free severe weather forecasting services, the NWS; and hundreds more services.

To say government does not produce anything is incredibly myopic and blindingly partisan. Did you know that the U.S. Bureau of Mines developed a way to recover minerals without disturbing the surface land? That they developed self-rescue equipment to aid miners trapped in disasters? That BOM research substantially reduced the cost of mineral extraction? That BOM research created a method for extracting metal ions from wastewater? Did you know that the reason Goodyear tyres are so lasting is because of research conducted with NASA scientists in the '70s? Did you know that modern firefighter suits are based on research conducted exclusively by NASA for the Space Program? Did you know that scientists at the Department of Energy invented a type of high density lithium battery in the '90s that is today used in electrocardiographs? Did you also know that promethium, used in batteries for guided missiles, was discovered by American government scientists working at a DOD laboratory?

What you have said is not only incorrect but highly insulting to the thousands of public servants who have worked over the last half century to produce truck loads of innovation across multiple industries. Nothing but conservative talking points. The United States Government is the largest R&D investor in the world, has been for decades, and has been a R&D centre in its own right. What an incredibly, pathetically ungrateful opinion of government. So much so that you should sincerely consider retracting your comment.

5. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Meh.

The government printed a bunch of money but it was the private companies that invented a bunch of profitable stuff. Sure, they collaborated (like with NASA projects), but ultimately it was the Boeings and the Lockheeds. So yes, government did not produce them.

There are plenty of good public servants, but it's the bureaucrats who are the real problem.

Still, the greatest way to innovate anything is to have a profit motive. Take "green" energy...solar and wind are simply not viable, but someone out there is going to change the world and (rightfully so) become dirty, stinkin' rich in the process!

You have no response to my thoughts about people like Gates? He's another phony, just like Soros and Buffett. They're about the "look at me! look at me doing good things!" but they do everything they can to protect their money and they just want the pitchforks to be focused on their opposition such as the "evil" Koch bros.

6. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Wow. Breitbart has bashed you over the head real good....

Funny how conservatives love to demonize the most charitable billionaires they can find. Usually they drop their panties for billionaires immediately, as long as they symbolize the greed they so greatly admire.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Yeah. Meh. Meh! MEH I SAY to your better society! I HAVE PERSONALLY HELD BELIEFS THAT FACTS WILL NOT GET IN THE WAY OF!

You know what you're problem is? You look solely at the strengths of one, and only the weaknesses of the other. The reality is that it's a combination of good old fashioned Capitalism and government management that made America the country it is/was/maybe will be again. Granted, I don't think bloated, overbearing bureaucracy is anything anyone wants, and is always a lurking danger of anything government related. But on that same note, a corporatocracy made up of various large conglomerate enterprises that were allowed to grow large and bloated themselves without restriction isn't a better alternative. Left unchecked, you're going to end up with something inefficient and self serving no matter which extreme you swing towards.

Instead of focusing solely on what you believe made the country a better place, it's better to look at the reality of our country, and base your beliefs off that. It was a mix and match of both business and government that built the United States. Both working with each other, balancing each other, and playing against each other all in equal measure is what made the nation.

8. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Well here in the Netherlands the Delta Plan was built by the government, it was a project that was needed but was way to expensive for private companies.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

...and greed and corruption and inhumanity.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

Ahhh, the weather ... it changes, say the people who can't predict if it's gonna rain tonight or not.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you look at the text of what Gates said, he is basically asking the government to set up the environment for free enterprise to have an incentive to combat climate change. That, to me, is the primary role for a government.. getting the environment right so free enterprise can advance humanity in the direction that is most beneficial for the majority. In this case, survival.

Weather ≠ climate

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

By definition, weather over a long period of time is climate.

13. zioxide, Nov 2, 2015

zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Oh the irony of you making this comment on the internet... which would not even exist without DARPA and many universities. You wouldn't even have a platform to make comments like this without GOVERNMENT funding innovation.

Oh, and good luck making any secure digital financial transactions without the work done by government-funded research into cybersecurity and cryptography. Our entire modern, digital lifestyle would not be even remotely possible without the government funding research and innovation through places like the DOE National Labs, NSF, etc.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Right, but the catch is "over a period of time."

This makes for a fundamental misunderstanding between daily weather reports (which are often right, BTW), and long-term climate models.

The simplest example is a coin flip.

I can't predict with 100 percent accuracy the likelihood that the next flip will be heads or tails. However, I can say that after 1000 flips, the coin is likely to land on heads or tails 50 percent of the time.

A person who doesn't understand statics would say that I can't make predictions about the long-term because I can't make predictions about the short-term, but that's not how things work.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I hope some reader appreciated that remedial lesson. I think we're past the point of needing to explain coin flips. One day we might even get past the need to explain weather.

16. flopticalcube, Nov 2, 2015

flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Only if, by definition, an hour over a long period of time is a day.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

This don't make no goddamn bit of sense.

18. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It was a little hacked on my part, let me fix it.

19. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Even I understand it now.

20. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The very definition of success.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

No need. Just answer me this:

[​IMG]

If you were looking at this pattern in any context, be it economic, social, political, what would you gather from it?

22. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

If you number each line segment from left to right, one through eleven, somewhere near the bottom of line segment ten a true moderate (Republican or Democrat) was elected to the US Presidency.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Now pretend the US has been around for 10,000 years. This pattern has been consistent that entire time, until recent history. That last leg on the end represents a deviation from the norm, right?

So what caused it?

24. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Looks like a system perturbed by a force.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

What would that force be, and why would it only effect that last leg of the graph?