Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
Death of the Ipod by Bill Gates bla ba bla ba bla bla

Men of power and their ego's. How assanine and full of envy this Billy guy is.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/tech_microsoft_gates_dc

Nonetheless, with Apples expected Motorola itunes phone on the way, I wonder what Gates will be complaining about this time next year. He should go back to dealing with the new xbox and his relationship with bono.

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
What a pittiful, bitter man. Although I agree to a certain extent that the iPod boom cant go on forever, I also think Bill is so jealous of Apple's success he cant sleep at night. The man dominates the computer world and is still so insecure that a tiny lil' ol' company like Apple get his underwear in a knot. Good grief.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
How is it bitter for him to say the iPod won't last?

What do you think he will say, "MS and anyone will never be able to overtake the iPod, so I think we will just give up."

You never trust what anyone from a company says..it's all PR and spin.

He may personally think the iPod is the greatest thing ever made, but he wouldn't say that because it would hurt his company.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Personally i think Billy is under a lot of stress at the moment, I saw an interview with him the other night on CNN and i thought he looked like sh*t.(not saying he looks the best normally :D) He looked like he hadn't had any sleep for the past week, and he's lookin really old. Maybe Sony and Apple are getting the better of him. :D
And why is it that the only thing he can talk about in interviews is Apples and Sony's so-called "problems"......

Peace

DjVoTeZ

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I don't - and won't - buy it. I think people will continue to want tiny cell phones, not all-in-ones that are comparatively large. Not to say that people won't buy MP3 phones - of course they will - but I don't see this as something that will hurt iPod sales. Shuffle sales - maybe. But, to get 60GB, you need something fairly large, and to pack all that into a phone would make the phone larger than an iPod, which is already bigger than I want to have to carry just to get phone calls. Even packing in a few GB will force a larger phone/larger battery. They'll sell, but not in massive numbers.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Hmm...

Presently, I own an iPod, iPaq, & cell phone. I wouldn't mind tying all of their features together in one device at all. BUT, I don't think that kind of technology exists (yet). Something the size of a Star Trek communicator would be nice - the old skool kind that Kirk used.

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2003
United States
jsw said:
I don't - and won't - buy it. I think people will continue to want tiny cell phones, not all-in-ones that are comparatively large. Not to say that people won't buy MP3 phones - of course they will - but I don't see this as something that will hurt iPod sales. Shuffle sales - maybe. But, to get 60GB, you need something fairly large, and to pack all that into a phone would make the phone larger than an iPod, which is already bigger than I want to have to carry just to get phone calls. Even packing in a few GB will force a larger phone/larger battery. They'll sell, but not in massive numbers.

I couldn't agree more. I don't want a huge bulging phone that does everything. I want it do what it's made for: communication. Until you can get 20GB of storage in flash for cheap, the ipod will still be #1

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i dont want a jack of all trades, and this has been proved in the market as well, otherwise the iPod wouldn't be as popular as it is right now

maybe when the technology is there to seamlessly integrate everything into one packages, easily, efficently and in a small size then the iPod would have to worry

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Well let's see why Billy might be stressed.

Longhorn is receiving some of the most negative press anything Microsoft has worked on, and not just one or two analysts - lots of them.

Apple is in the limelight right now, and secretly, Bill hates this - wouldn't you?

Apple is a hip, cool finely tuned machine right now compared to MS's swiss cheese security nightmare.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Duh. Nothing lasts forever. However, in response to Bill's quote about Apple's early dominace with personal computers, I'd say look at the Walkman. That was first and on top for many years until the technology changed. Nothing ever really over took the Walkman/Discman until mp3 players came along.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
I would bet he is right. There is always something down the line. The Walkman isn't the dominant portable music player anymore. It is likely that the iPod will someday go that rout.

Lately he [Bill Gates] has been quoted in a way that makes it seem as though he plans to destroy Apple. Hard to prove that microsoft isn't a monopoly if that happens.

I am an iPod user, and I hope Apple continues to stay on top of the portable music market, though innovation, improved utility, competative priceing, and through improved compatability- not though cult following.

lokey

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2003
I can't argue his position really, because the iPod won't be on top forever. He's right, but he fails to realize that Apple has forever planted their name in the digital music revolution. The 'iPod' name will mean something long after it evolves into something else or is integrated into another device.

Contrary to what I've read from others around here, I don't think that people want to seperate their devices and have a music player, a cell phone and a PDA. I'd say if a company can integrate these devices correctly, it will win. The iPod has the potential to be all that if Apple enters that market. They won't though. :(

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
This is typical Microsoft FUD and I'd expect no less from them. They're attempting to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt about the iPod in an effort to make people think that it is a dead-end product. In the past, this has shown to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Microsoft deters consumers from purchasing competing products by touting "features" that the competition doesn't have and that the competition will soon fail. When people believe this (and they most often do), their lack of purchasing the competing products, because of FUD, is the cause of the fall of the competing product. Microsoft WILL "money" they're way into this market. Let's just hope, for the sake of saving the last amount of integrity in music, that La Resistance lives on.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
MICROSOFT_HANDHELDS.sff_NVJC101_20050510135120.jpg

Emperor
"Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your friends, up there on the sanctuary moon at Apple, are walking into a trap, as is your Rebel fleet. It was *I* who allowed the Alliance Apple to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little [garage] band. An entire legion of my best troops lawyers awaits them. Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive."

"The allianceApple... will die. As will your friends. Good, I can feel your anger. I am unarmed. Take your weaponiPod. Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete."
See here for refrence. ;)

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
I just think he is a bit PO that M$ didn't come up with that idea. Who wouldn't if you think about it. iPods saved Apple, without the iPod I doubt there would be any future for OSX. As it is now they have tons of money to pour down into R&D.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
Eniregnat said:
I know that I shouldn't of done this.;)

Emperor
"Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your friends, up there on the sanctuary moon at Apple, are walking into a trap, as is your Rebel fleet. It was *I* who allowed the Alliance Apple to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little [garage] band. An entire legion of my best troops lawyers awaits them. Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive."

"The allianceApple... will die. As will your friends. Good, I can feel your anger. I am unarmed. Take your weaponiPod. Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete."
See here for refrence.
LMAO...glad you did :D

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Eniregnat said:

Emperor

See here for refrence. ;)

Made my miserable afternoon a little bit more tolerable.

Thank you. :)

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
mac-er said:
How is it bitter for him to say the iPod won't last?

What do you think he will say, "MS and anyone will never be able to overtake the iPod, so I think we will just give up."

You never trust what anyone from a company says..it's all PR and spin.

He may personally think the iPod is the greatest thing ever made, but he wouldn't say that because it would hurt his company.

You totally misconstrueing my point. I agree with the point that the iPod wont last forever (see my original post). However, there are ways in which you can say things, that even though true, come off as "bitter" or narrow minded or jealous.

My point is, the man pretty much controls the computer world, and when a little music gadget that he didnt personally make, becomes a big hit, he acts like a 2 year old who just had his toy taken away.

Every since the iPod came out and especially since the iTunes Music Store kicked off, all Billy Boy and the rest of the bullies at MS have done is predict the downfall of iPod and iTMS. Notice how he didnt say, "portable music players will be replaced by phones". Nope, he had to specifically point out the iPod, as if the other portable music players (supported by MS) are immune to the evolution of technology. In my book, that comes off as bitter.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
iGary said:
Made my miserable afternoon a little bit more tolerable.
That's nice.

Now, back to the topic of the thread... Bill Gates may be somewhat right in basically saying "nothing lasts forever." But, isn't that true for anything, including Microsoft and Windows? I think this just goes to show how desperate they are right now to save face. Longhorn has become a joke. There are news reports of gaping security holes in Windows or IE nearly every week. So, of course Bill wants to lob a grenade in the direction of Apple to distract everyone from the fact that there really are no "weapons of mass computing" at MS anymore. They're just faking it.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
MontyZ said:
Now, back to the topic of the thread... I think this just goes to show how desperate they are right now to save face. Longhorn has become a joke. ... They're just faking it.

Back on topic. I don't think that Microsoft is desperate, perhaps Gates is as the defacto cheif spokes celebrity for Microsoft, but I don't think that Longhorn will be a joke financialy. It will really dominate the market, and it will usher in a new level of digital rights management to media, applications, and network access. A kind of management that looks good to theos that believe that they are loosing all sorts of money due to piracy. It may force priceing to drop.

The iPod will die quickly if it remains just a media player and storage drive. It will grow if it cotinues to be crossplatform and expands it uses. I think that Microsoft sees music downloads as just the start. I think that they see the market as media and perhaps more.

Alukardo

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2005
Canada
The only reason he's spouting all this (true as it is) is so he can have bragging rights and say "SEE!? Told you so!" when the next iconic consumer device finally dethrones the iPod. :rolleyes:

God help us all if that next product should come from Micro$oft. Propaganda for the Xbox 360 is going to be bad enough as it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.