Bill Gates says he should be paying “significantly higher” taxes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Um if Gates doesn’t think he’s paying enough federal taxes he can cut a check to the treasury right now. But as smart as Gates is you’d think he’d know he could do more good directing where his money goes than the federal government ever could.

2. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

I think he's been doing this for quite some time.... His comment was probably meant more generally, as an rich people did not need this tax cut.

3. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Isn't there some foundation he put quite a bit of money into, to help out people? I think to the personal tune of $28B.

So yeah he knows.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/b...uld-pay-significantly-higher-taxes-2018-02-18

4. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

He has done a ton of good in this world with his money and Republicans deride him for it. For some reason they like to turn those who think it's best to give their time and money to humanitarian causes into villains.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Gates and Warren gave the most to charity, globally. In the 20 billions. If it were up to me, I would exclude them from a lifetime of personal taxes.

6. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Jimmy Carter is another one of the greats, the guy is still building homes for habitat for humanity into his 90's. He may not have been the best president but he's always been a great humanitarian.

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The rich always say this stuff - especially celebs. Then they proceed to hide their money on remote islands or in low-tax investments and such. Apparently they arent THAT worried about it. Like you said, cut a check then, Bill. :rolleyes:

8. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Very easy to say “I should be paying more”, just as easy to cut that extra check to the Treasury. Funny they don’t seem to take that next step very often.

9. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Says who? I don’t want billionaires deciding whether I pay more taxes or not.

10. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

So exactly what Trump is doing. Couldn't agree more.

11. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Trump has made it so the poor will be giving more, yet here we are bitching at a billionaire for suggesting they pay their fair share.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Who decided that the federal government was better at making spending decisions that local people? If gates pumped in a couple more million the congress would just find a way to waste it.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

So the rich, who control the vast majority of our society's financial resources, should determine how social money is spent rather than a democratically elected government? Social spending should reflect the priorities on which most people can agree, not on the esoteric or eccentric whims of the rich.

14. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

While true one could argue that those in Washington are nothing but millionaires and billionaires as well.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Good point. :(

16. Mousse macrumors 68010

Mousse

So that our Gub'ment can waste it on their war machine? This is the same government that scoffed at Bernie Sander's free college for everyone idea ($47B a year.:eek: Where will the money come from?), yet increased the military budget by $80B.:rolleyes:

17. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I'm with you there. The government is great at wasting our money. In this case though, instead of virtue signaling about the issue Bill Gates could rather easily pay more money to the government if he feels he should.

18. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

19. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

He sees eye to eye with Warren Buffett. Regarding the US Govt, we have bills that need paying so it is well spent.

20. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

He's not just talking about himself: "the government should require the people in my position to pay significantly higher taxes."

21. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

He should lead by example then. Start a new thing this year. He can even create a hashtag! #ipaidmyfairshare
    Then tweet a picture of the extra check he sends to the Treasury (hide the important info of course). Then other rich people can follow suit. Warren Buffett should certainly be on board.

22. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Yes it’s not the governments money. I don’t need bureaucrats in Washington DC deciding how to spend my money.

23. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

That’s not what’s happening. You have millionaires and billionaires telling the people in Washington to give them more of your money.

It’s easy to see. When fewer and fewer wealthy people hold more and more of the nation’s (and world’s) wealth at an ever-increasing rate... it’s simple math.

24. ericgtr12, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018

ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Now just ask those who make less than $75,000 a year paying significantly higher taxes under Trump how they feel about their position.