Bill in Iowa House aims to protect same-sex marriage objectors

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Feb 9, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...sex-marriage-objectors?odyssey=tab|topnews|te

What's next? Will businesses just post signs saying "heterosexuals only"? This is crazy.

2. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

How would people feel about a bill, that would allow a person, business or organization such as a charity or fraternal group to deny services without fear of facing a civil claim or lawsuit if they think doing so would validate or recognize Christianity?

3. codymac macrumors 6502

Clearly that depends on how good that business's chicken sandwiches are.
    :D

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1088095

4. leekohler, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

5. codymac macrumors 6502

:confused:

Near as I can tell, they're not being denied service in either. They're being either justified or offered the opportunity to deny service in both though.

It's the same question under mildly different circumstances.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I guess I misunderstood you. Oops. :)

7. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Both bills (the actual anti-gay bill and my hypothetical anti-Christian bill) are using the law to discriminate. I just wondered how the people supporting the anti-gay bill would feel about an anti-Christian bill.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think these sorts of proposals represent the death-rattle of "traditional marriage" advocates. The more extreme they become, the more it shows how desperate they are.

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

But try to think how frightening this is for people in my shoes. I mean, this is really quite terrifying that this is even being brought up. It scares the hell out of me.

One thing that I have learned is that it's a mistake to underestimate people like this.

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

My god this is so disgusting, they are legalizing discrimination all over again. Clearly it's aimed at gays, but now people would be free to discriminate against mixed race couples. The Christian married to a Jew example is kinda lame because no one would really be able to tell, but it's the principle of the matter. This better fail. And to think it's coming out of the only Midwestern state with gay marriage.

11. codymac macrumors 6502

My attempts at levity are admittedly sometimes off the mark.
    :eek:

I meant we'd sort of established here (in the other thread, actually) that whether we'd be bothered by it depended on both whether we'd be directly impacted and the quality of the services offered by such a business.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The really creepy thing is- this could actually pass from what I see in that article. Unlikely, but things like this cannot be ignored.

13. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

not just you lee, im dating a black girl right now and I'm white as can be. People will be able to use their religion as an excuse for their bigotry against us.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I know. That this is even being considered is insane. It's just- I can't believe it.

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I do not underestimate them, but it's important to recognize that the broader trend towards social liberalism means that the antigay activists are the people under the greatest threat, and they are acting with characteristic desperation. Sure, there is plenty to fear - but time is on the side of the pluralists.

We need to continue to fight injustice - it's a battle that will never end.

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Not always. Things can go backward very quickly. Nothing is a given. I've seen it happen.

17. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Sure- but if this were to pass, how much damage gets done before it is declared so?

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't blame you for thinking that way. But, barring a catastrophy, I think the trend will continue to be gradual liberalization. There will be lots of little ups and downs, but we are still better off than we were a generation ago, and we'll be better off still a generation hence.

20. geekgirl macrumors regular

Iowa has completely gone 'round the bend in the last few months.

1. Completely disgusting that they are attempting to add an amendment to our state constitution to define marriage as between one man, and one woman. Discrimination, plain and simple, and it has NO PLACE in my state. Arg!

2. This new "protection" for those who discriminate is BULL.

3. Throwing out 3 Iowa Supreme Court Justices who struck down a law that banned gay marriage. They were doing their job of interpreting our constitution. Not too long ago there was a call to IMPEACH the remaining justices, for also striking down that law. Wow. Just... wow.

4. Our "new" governor is cutting things left and right, and his whole, "100,000K" jobs thing is working out just great... 1500 state workers are already losing their jobs, in law enforcement, Department of Human Services, and other critical areas. Higher education will be cut, and there is a zero-growth for education (K-12, + higher ed) thing that just passed. Oh, and no more free preschool.

There are too many other WTFs to mention. Every day something new is put forward, or cut. And they are so busy messing around with the whole gay marriage thing that NOTHING else productive is getting done.

Discrimination is WRONG, but too many crazies in this state think that banning gay marriage isn't discrimination. Just. Stupid....

21. geekgirl macrumors regular

Sorry, got off on a tangent in my previous post.

This bill is bull, and I can only hope that there are enough sane people left in our legislature to kill it quick. I know our rep is trying as hard as she can to speak out about this.

22. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I hope so. I'm just afraid that something similar to the impact of AIDS could happen and wipe out all this work we've done. The 80's almost drove us back to the 50s. It literally became open season on us.

23. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

This is exactly the type of discrimination that Rand Paul thinks is constitutional. Here he is answering a question about discrimination just like this based on race as opposed to sexual orientation.

There is a segment of the population that votes republican and claims to be libertarian who thinks people should have the constitutional right to discriminate. Iowa is merely another example of this.

24. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Good to hear. Things like this should not even be permitted to be introduced in the first place. It's obviously unconstitutional.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Iowa making a strong bid to unseat Arizona as our most embarrassing state.