Bill introduced into Congress to repeal 22nd amendment

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacGeek7, Jan 19, 2009.

?

Do you think the bill to repeal the 22nd amendment will pass?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. No

59 vote(s)
    90.8%
  3. Not sure

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not too much, unless all parties and the public agreed to it.

Doing it, because you can, really would add to the current fights between the parties.

Might as well let Arnold run for President.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Wouldn't that just open the flood gates for dictatorship though? (If the wrong person were to get in...)

I guess having just 2 terms of a presidency can have it's limitations, but still, that's 8 whole years of the same person, that's enough time for alot of things to be done...

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It's a pretty terrible idea. ...If he were immortal, I suspect FDR would still be president. If history's any judge, a clever ruler can gain the support of the people, even when he doesn't support their best interests.

I think the President should be limited to one 6-year term, thus eliminating the wasted time spent campaigning for reelection.

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Do we really want to see Bill Clinton vs George W. Bush in the next election?

Of course with the way the last few months have gone I doubt Bush would run again. Bill would run again in a heartbeat if there weren't any legal restriction to doing so.

I'm not a fan of letting the president serve more than one term anyway. I really don't like the idea that they are going to be trying to position themselves for reelection before they even really start the job. Of course the 2 year terms of Congressmen/women also seems quite ludicrous since they basically spend half their time campaigning...

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Prior to 1947 there wasn't a POTUS term limit yet no dictatorships cropped up. Removing the term limit would help prevent the POTUS from becoming a political lame duck during his second term and the 22nd Amendment was largely a partisan effort against FDR, IIRC.

Lethal

7. MacGeek7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Even though the 22nd amendment wasn't ratified until 1947, presidents followed Washington's example of refusing to run for a 3rd time up until FDR.

8. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Yes, but only in that can't-take-my-eyes-off-the-traincrash kind of way. Watching Bill Clinton versus Bush, 2012, would be like watching that jam session at the end of each Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame induction - you can't decide whether you are watching something historically incredible, or watching incredibly horrible.

9. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I personally don't see a problem with it, if a president is doing a good job, and can continue to get a majority vote he / she should be allowed to stay president for as long as the American people are happy with them.

10. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Agreed. I don't think it's a bad idea to repeal this. If a President wins a 3rd term it was because the country thought he did a well enough job the last two times around.

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Do you think the German people would have voted Hitler out of office?

The people, as pessimistic as it sounds, cannot be trusted.

12. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

If this does get appealed will it effect Obama or will it take place after him as salary changes would?

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

FDR was the first to be POTUS for more than two terms but not the first to attempt it. Washington didn't intend to set a precedent he was just ready to retire. In his farewell address he even says he didn't want to initially seek a second term but eventually changed his mind after talking to his advisors and taking account the state of the country at the time.

I guess I don't see the need for the 22nd Amendment. Our country did fine for over 100 years w/o it and it didn't get created because we needed it but because of a partisan political action against FDR. I mean, the Republicans were pissed at FDR so for the last 60 years we've had POTUS term limits. It seems rather arbitrary and unnecessary, IMO.

Lethal

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The German people never voted Hitler into office.

Lethal

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Not true. The 22nd amendment was introduced in 1947, two years after the death of FDR, and was ratified four years later. It was certainly introduced in response to FDR's 4-term reign as president, but in no way did it affect him.

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It's not quite so necessary there. Incumbency is a huge advantage in congressional elections.

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

What difference would it make?

If it went into effect after his second term then he'd be eligible for a third term, unless we explicitly ruled out those who had served 6 years or more as president prior to the amendment going active.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree but this didnt sit very well with the bastards in congress who all want to be #1. Its why the senate never got term limits. These guys all crave control and power and thought by limiting the Pres they would have a better chance.

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I didn't mean to imply that it affected FDR directly as obviously he was long dead by then.

Lethal

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think the Second World war had a lot to do with Roosevelt's political longevity. Voters tend not to change leadership in the midst of a crisis so long as the President is not the cause of the crisis.

I don't see a point in fiddling with the amendment.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I hear Clinton's ears perked up a little.....:p

23. MacGeek7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

According to WorldNetDaily this isn't the first time it's happened.

Now the question is will it pass?

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm guessing no, for two reasons. First, it's been sent to a committee, which is one way to kill a bill. The committee will hem and haw over it for a while and then shelve it and move on. It's a kind of purgatory for unwanted bills.

Second, we have more pressing issues these days.

25. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me