Bill Kristol thinks Fox News rhetoric is more dangerous than disease

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

So apparently Fox News is now pushing this idea that the caravan from Central America could bring unknown diseases to the United States.

[​IMG]

To which Bill Kristol responded this morning:

[​IMG]

Ironically this tweet was sent around the time the Morning Joe panel on MSNBC was lamenting the unseriousness of the country in the age of Trump. Let me start off by saying Fox News pushing the idea that these people are bringing disease with them is absolutely disgusting. Had Bill Kristol said that I would have agreed with him 100%. But saying the rhetoric on Fox is more dangerous than actual disease being brought into the country? In the age of Trump the media has become completely unhinged. It’s one reason his poll numbers are consistently in the 40s when they should be in the low 30s. It’s amazing to me how Trump can make seemingly intelligent people become complete loons. And once again allow him to play the victim. Unreal.

2. ericgtr12, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018

ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Bill is 100% correct IMO, Fox News is the mouthpiece of Trump and they regularly spread lies, hatred and deliberate misinformation to support his narrative. It is indeed dangerous, do you really think the bomber would have sent one to CNN had Trump not been making them the target of his ire for the last two years?

Words have consequences, to say that CNN is responsible by pushing back with the truth is exactly what Fox News and Trump would have one do, it's only further pushing their narrative. Additionally, Trump's numbers being in the 40s are terrible by any standard and setting the bar even lower (in the 30s) is also misleading. His disapproval ratings always hover in the mid to upper 50s.

Don't expect the media to sit back and take it, they have every right to defend themselves from the hateful rhetoric of Fox News and their ilk.

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Fox really wants to scare people. The more scared, the more they will look to Donald to help them.

Bill Kristol is 100% right.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

I’m sorry but political rhetoric on Fox News is not more dangerous than someone spreading disease in the country. Anyone who believes that is letting their hatred of Trump take over any rational thoughts they might have.

5. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

I'd say he is on to something.

The risk of disease is in both…
    The Trump disease though is mental. Quite a bit more difficult to cure than any physical ailment.

I think an update of the classic Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds would include USA with Trump and UK with Brexit — both in 2016.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Which uncureable lethal diseases do you think they will bring?

7. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Where did I say I agreed with Fox? I don’t. That doesn’t mean I think it’s worse than disease.

8. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Make one up, Trump will spread it at a rally and the media will talk about it for a week straight.

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

That would be true IF there were any truth to the story of disease. But there's not. "Fake News* So Fox is automatically worst.

10. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Why?
    Anger as being belittled by a sociopathic liar.
    and
    Frustration their truthful, moral arguments are ignored, even ridiculed.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Bill Kristol is a writer for the Weekly Standard. The dems used to call them neo-cons, but now he's "100% right".

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I couldn't agree more with this statement, I was one of those people. He's stepped up to the plate, many of those who are true Conservatives do not agree with Trump and the direction he's taken the party. Strange bedfellows indeed, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Go Bill!

13. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

iF there was truth to the story of disease then there would be nothing wrong with Fox News reporting on it. Fake news is not worse than disease.

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Isn't that what I just said?

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Kristol is right. Reasonable people can have good-faith disagreements over matters of policy and law.

But what Fox (and Donald Trump) are doing is worse than an infectious disease.

Most people recognize the symptoms of physical disease. But the "sickness" that Fox News is spreading is one that its patients remain oblivious to. They think there is something wrong with everybody else. Which is why we have terms like RINO and "lamestream media."

There has always been partisanship in the United States. But what Fox News is creating is something worse. An essential "tribalism" that will eventually break down our ability to function as a democracy. We are already at the point where the US Government is unable to deal effectively with matters such as our crumbling infrastructure; our bloated, murderously expensive, and frequently ineffective healthcare system; and a coherent response to climate change.

Any one of those will lead to more death, misery, and destruction than any infectious disease.

16. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

No you said Fox is automatically worse, which I’m assuming then you mean Fox is worse than disease.

17. mac_in_tosh, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018

mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Fox News has been doing this for years and they are responsible to a large degree for initiating the angry, partisan atmosphere in the U.S. today. It's not enough to respectfully disagree with someone. Rather, you have to demean them with labels and make gross generalizations ("libs" are power hungry, "libs" are elitists, "libs" are hypocritics, etc.). I don't even know how much the hosts there really believe what they say vs. just trying to build ratings as with their on-going denunciation of the "lame stream media."

As for Kristol, I have not been a fan of his but at least he is one of the Republicans with enough integrity who, like Steve Schmidt, Nicole Wallace, Joe Scarborough and others, have not fallen in lock step with Trumpism.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I could say the same crap about MSNPC and CNN. Don't give me this we're right and they're wrong stuff again.

The left is infiltrating the dem party and the media. The globalist, open borders, illegal immigration cheerleading has to stop.

19. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

20. samcraig macrumors P6

Depends. Is a disease of the mind any more or less valid than a virus?

21. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I never stated you did. But you did state that Fox News rhetoric is less deadly, so I asked the question which you have yet to answer.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump has turned - or is trying to turn - Globalist into a dirty word.

23. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Logicolitis.
    Commonsensola.
    Respecto Deficiency Disorder.
    Intelligenza.

Much deadly.

24. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I just got vaccinated from Fox News rhetoric (20 cc's of CNN).

25. samcraig macrumors P6

It's not a disease - but I think some of those wearing those MAGA hats need to realize there's a buckle system in the back. Because some clearly have it set too tight - cutting off circulation to the brain.