Bill Maher’s recent views on the subject of Islam

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FieldingMellish, Feb 1, 2016.

1. FieldingMellish Suspended

In this frank televised discussion, Bill Maher’s apparently a man who tells it like it is, not how the Left would want you to perceive it.

According to Bill Maher, “The more people know about Islam the more you would be afraid.” and “I wish liberals were as intolerant of Muslims as they are of Christians.”

2. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Bill Maher doesn't believe in the use of vaccines, either.

People are free to have their social prejudices and be wrong about things.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Is this the same Bill Maher who had some loon on claiming he cures AIDS with goat's milk?

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Bill Maher can be pretty spot on about some things, while crazily missing the mark on others.

Know what this means? It means that an intelligent person's smart opinion on one thing doesn't validate their stupid opinion on something else.

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

It's just entertainment. It's amazing how much they get paid as much for doing what they do, to the point kids shilling newspapers say they want to be actors (or sports players) growing up instead of useless things like scientists, mathematicians, engineers, doctors, and so on... strange how we need all those things but place less value on those than we do entertainers (and sports players)... )

6. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Who decides which opinion is stupid and which is smart? The guy with the loudest prejudice?

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Yes, but is he deliberately missing the mark? Remember, Carroll O'Connor was not a conservative but had a ball playing one on TV. Sally Struthers was no major lover of the Democratic party either and she played one with aplomb... (Rob Reiner always seemed to stick to his beliefs and he's a liberal, and Jean Stapleton was one amazing actress with a wide range of talent and ability that outdid the rest of the group, and had to for obvious reasons.) My point? Entertainment is about displaying arechetypes other than what the performers put out. Be it on TV, radio, newspaper, internet, there is no fundamental difference.

8. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Actually, actor's pretty far down on the list:

1. DOCTOR
    2. ATHLETE
    3. TEACHER
    4. DANCER
    5. POLICE OFFICER
    6. FIREFIGHTER
    7. SCIENTIST
    8. MUSICIAN
    9. ACTOR
    10. NURSE
    Rapper and gangsta didn't make the list, so all is not yet lost.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Your own better judgement.

If Einstein came out against vaccines, would you consider it to be a damning condemnation against them, despite the fact Einstein, smart as he was, wasn't a medical doctor, and his opinion was based entirely upon hearsay?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 1, 2016 ---
    I think it's all about taking everything anyone says with a grain of salt. Don't agree with something just because you like them, or disagree with them just because you don't. Listen to someone, then make up your own mind.

10. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Depends on the evidence Einstein produced. Are you saying Maher's opinion had no basis in fact?

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Dunno, but I wouldn't use the fact he's smart about one thing as de facto proof he's right about vaccines without having heard anything about it.

12. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

So you're just gassing platitudes? Why don't you know after how long we've been discussing Islamic extremism on PRSI?

13. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

Bill Maher apparently thinks for himself and he is unafraid to express it.

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

That's not true. He thinks we over vaccinate our kids and too many new vaccinations are being approved by the same people who make money on the vaccinations. And he has a point about that.

It's was on the same show.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm getting really tired of Maher. He's rapidly descended into the typical old coot trying to remember the good ole days that never were.

He's good for a laugh, but he's proven (especially lately) that you either agree with his completely fact free (or basic math free) opinion or he lashes out.

Guess what Bill, if the audience groans at your joke, it's not that it's "not PC" it means that your joke wasn't ****ing funny to begin with.

16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Completely agree with that last part. I thought of it a few weeks ago when one person groaned over a bad joke and he went into one of his rants about pc and jokes. He is right about the crazy pc culture but he takes it too far. Sometimes a bad joke is just a bad joke.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

And how often has Bill Maher come up during all our various discussions about Islamic extremism? Once? Twice? Three times, maybe? Over the past, what? Three years or so? I only occasionally follow the guy.

The real question is, why are you getting your panties in a wad over my rather neutral statement?

18. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I never watch the guy. We're discussing generalities. But I was surprised that you're still neutral when it comes to whether Islamic extremism is something we should discriminate against.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I've never once said Islamic Extremism is something we should tolerate. I believe quite the opposite, in fact. It's something we should stamp out every chance we get.

But where you and I differ is in the nuance of that application. You like to paint with a broad brush. I prefer a surgical scalpel.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Like the Simpsons Halloween episode with the killer advertising mascots. The best advice was, "just don't look". These extremists on both sides just want attention. The sooner we ignore them and stop feeding into their propaganda the sooner they will fade away. Every time the media posts their videos or talks about them we give them what they want, Fame.

Plus isn't this old news. Didn't Maher mention this like 2 years ago?

21. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I live in Saudi Arabia for 3.5 years back in 80's

Bill is 100% right,
    Muslim influenced Arabic culture/traditions is primitive by world standards, they almost cannot conceive of alternate solutions, and always go back to vague texts and extract meanings out of phrases that "they" decide is most appropriate to issue.

There are educated and intelligent Muslims who know the relevant parts of Quran, but they are not common.

In Christianity most people know what is relevant in today world so few are fanatical (David Koresh, Jim Jones, etc)
    In Islam most are fanatical and few know what is relevant.

So that is why we do need to be very concerned, because to most Muslims killing in name is Islam IS a virtue!

An addendum, even Christians are not above putting tradition even above Biblical text.
    IOW, most Christians don't actually study the bible, they just follow what someone else tells them to do.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Can we agree that it's Wahabbism (sp?) that's the problem, not the entirety of Islam? To disagree would be to say that the KKK's specific adherence to a perverted version of Christianity is Christianity in it's entirety.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Wahabbism is the issue, and the problem is it's become fairly widespread as of late, almost to the point that it's become the face of Islam in the Middle East.

Comparatively, the Shiites are a bastion of moderation, and that's scary.

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I don't think this will work. Just ignoring people acting out in the name of their religion won't stop them. They are still going to do god's will.

25. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

Where PC is now is that the joke gets trigger-warned and never gets told (or listened to) so whether it's a good joke or bad joke becomes a moot point.