Bill Maher Drops An N Bomb

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

2. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

That was tasteless joke, if it hurts him it hurts him, if not, don't care either way.

3. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

It's tough making jokes using that word unless... your black. ;)

4. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

Bill was being tasteless as usual. I really think this dude is a closeted conservative. He always claims he is not bigoted and people are just being too PC. It is just a lame excuse for him to say hateful things.

5. BigHonkingDeal, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017

BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

I agree it was tasteless.... but this is what I got out of the show last night.

And this....

6. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Much ado about nothing. I thought it was a clever response to a silly proposition and it would not have had the same effect had he said "house slave".

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It was a joke he made about himself. Tasteless, but not that big a deal.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Tasteless, stupid, and insulting. What possessed him? And, BTW, if you have to explain that something was a joke, it probably wasn't funny.

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Until the word is off limits to everyone, there's no reason for outrage when a white person uses it.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Filthy ****ing racist, he should lose his job.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

There's this guy I know of? He's said to have once stated, “...Laziness is a trait in blacks. It really is, I believe that. It’s not anything they can control.” He says he has a good relationship with "the blacks". Talks about Mexicans as rapists and wants to build a wall.

Filthy racist. He should lose his job.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I never liked Maher. This doesn't really change anything. @Thomas Veil, it's not exactly a secret that Trump is a jackass.

14. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Bill Maher is an interesting fellow. He seems to piss off people on both the left and the right. Maybe he's someone we can all agree is a terrible person.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

EXACTLY The way it should be

16. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

If he's pissing off people on both sides, that's not because he's terrible, that's because he's smart!

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't think Maher's a terrible person. I count myself a fan, even if he does tick me off sometimes.

But the mock outrage at what he said, even as a joke on himself, is exactly why a movie like this could never be made today:

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Lets all speak the n-word together, in unison, so take away the negative power of the word. Our lord Bill has showeth us the path...

19. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

There's a big difference between some old lady calling a black person the N word in a movie, albeit a comedy, and a comedian using the N word to refer to them self in a self-deprecating joke.

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I think that comment was in very poor taste. It was clever but not necessarily appropriate given the context IMO. I've personally never been a fan of Maher as it is... so whatever.

I don't like the n-word and really don't approve of black people using it either. It always makes for an uncomfortable situation in conversation. I wouldn't want to be called a K*** by fellow Jews, let alone other people. I don't believe words should have different meanings depending on who is saying it.

21. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

LMFAO

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Didn't he use the n-word before at some point? I seem to recall something like that.

I have an interesting opinion of him. I both like and hate the things he says. Sometimes he is really right. Sometimes he is really wrong. There's really no middle ground with Maher.

23. Zenithal macrumors 603

The racial issue is two-fold, I'm afraid. Some in the black community believe they should unite, which is a good thing, and oppress non-Black culture. Interestingly, a move in the social sphere called a "Blackout Day" is meant to focus on Black leaders, arts, music, etc. A way of keeping culture alive. Some blacks theorize that others of their kind should not become too gentrified in fear of losing their roots and where they and their elders came from, even if they were a wealthy family going back generations. Segregation ended in the 60s, but we're still seeing racial indifference and bias from both sides.

24. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Sure it could. The n word isn't off limits for comics or comedy. It's how you use it. Louis CK in his stand up, Dave Chappel on his Comedy Central show...no outrage there.

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, even Mel Brooks has said he doesn't think you could make that movie today. I'm not familiar with how Louis CK or Chappel use the word, but Maher was joking too, and look what happened.