Bill Maher: Keep Halloween un-PC

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Warning: very NSFW content.

Best take ever on Halloween.

(Don’t worry, it has enough material to offend both sides of the aisle.) :D

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I agree 100%. It's become a real pisser to be a middle of the road, common sense voter in this country, let me tell you.

3. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Awesome. Of course I agree with it and it made me laugh out loud. Good way to start the day :D

I'm definitely a liberal, but I have little in common with the perpetually offended social justice types.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Don’t often agree with Bill, but he totally nailed it.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Keep everything un-pc, why just Halloween?

6. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Real politics is plenty scary.
    Halloween is like a vacation!!

7. hulugu, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm still not sure I agree, considering the whole problem of blackface outside of Halloween, not to mention the rampant prejudice aimed at Native Americans and Hispanics that still festers in American culture, but it's a pretty successful argument.

I wouldn't mind making Halloween a no-man's land for political correctness, when for the day, you can get away with racially-motivated costumes.

But, I suspect that given the license, people will have Cinco De Mayo parties where they dress as "banditos," and some sorority will have a "gangster" party during Rush Week.

What's interesting is how much energy people spend on a few lousy costumes, when there's so much other stuff.

Like the kid, who's wearing a red devil luchador mask while convincing his mom to buy him empanadas.

Or, the guy slinging burritos, who's dressed as Dr. Frank-n-Furter. Or, the dude riding his bike down the street in one of those blow-up dinosaur costumes. (Though I'm worried about him.)

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

People just need to lighten up and stop going out and looking for reasons to be offended.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, if a member of the Sioux is wandering around Iowa City on Halloween and sees a cluster of sorority sisters wearing warbonnets, were they "looking for reasons to be offended?"

I think there are genuine frustrations here.

But, I also think that too many social justice types, who have no connection to these issues, are getting into these arguments as "allies" and are doing as much harm as good. So, they're going after the costumes for Disney princesses Pocahontas and Moana—not to mention Maui— as well as the obvious racial charicture.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I think you answered your own question there. Those who have ZERO connection to the issue are more likely to be offended than the member of the Sioux who see it. The next point then is does everyone have a right to go through life not being offended?

11. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Bill Maher was actually simi accurate, and was funny. Miracles do happen :).

12. chown33 macrumors 604

I think your auto-correct is broken.

I confess it's kinda funny to mentally auto-correct it to "charcuterie".

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Haha.

14. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I think this issue crosses both aisles, unless one is really hardcore Liberal. Comedians everywhere are afraid to simply do their act right now out of fear of losing everything for offending the wrong person. At some point I'm hoping it'll shift back, I agree we should all lighten up and enjoy a good laugh.

15. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Political correctness must be taken out back and beaten to death, if we are to survive as a nation. It serves no purpose other than to make a very tiny, but vocal minority feel good to be forcing their warped opinions on the rest of the world. The sooner it is killed off the better off we all will be. Bill was right on the money!

16. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Classic, nice take on PCism.

17. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

That’s one thing I really miss about HBO, Bill Maher.

18. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Forgot about this one. Goes right along with Maher's.