Bill Maher, pure gold :D

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by freeny, Mar 26, 2010.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

"So don't stop: we need to regulate the banks, we need to overhaul immigration, we need to end corporate welfare including at the Pentagon, we need to bring troops home from... everywhere, we need to end the drug war, and we need to put terrorists and other human rights violators on trial in civilian courts, starting with Dick Cheney."

If only...

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

God I love Bill Maher! :p

And yeah, that whole "threat" of non-cooperation is pretty impotent if they're already not cooperating. :D

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

5. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

7. toontra macrumors 6502

Are any of the republican-sympathising satirists this funny?

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

While I think what Maher said is so true I have to point out the obvious omission here.

The God/Will pic.

When I read it I had to take a second look but I do know what it means. Can't understand why other people don't understand it.

It says :

Do Not Doubt Our God

and

Do Not Doubt Our Will. ( it's a noun )

Attached Files:

• will.jpg
      will.jpg
      File size:
      71.8 KB
      Views:
  9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No. Although on Fox News they often have comedians as panelists... however, they are never funny.

10. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Not sure they have a sense of humor..

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Steven Colbert.

12. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

"Cooperation" in the field of politics is pretty much a bullcrap term anyway. I mean, think about it... If Obama is trying to push through nationalized medicine, and real conservatives are philosophically opposed to such a move to their very core, and believe it to be unconstitutional... "cooperation" is completely meaningless. Is completely bullcrap.

Similarly, if you are philosophically opposed something like the Patriot Act to your very core, and believe it to be unconstitutional... "cooperation" is completely meaningless. Is completely bullcrap. You're not a better person for 'cooperating' with those looking to supplant the constitution, logic, etc. in your eyes.

13. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

But one cannot have it their own way all the time. Whoever was voted in calls the shots as far as agenda and direction. For 8 years the Bush agenda was what was voted in. As much as a lot of us disagreed and complained, we still cooperated and compromised. This country is far too diverse for only one voice. Its the Dems turn to direct and the gop to keep things moved more to the middle. The gop will certainly have their turn again and the roles will reverse, hense why the gop is being obstructionists and not their job of keeping things in the middle.

If things move too far to one side it is the fault of the minority, they werent doing their job.

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I agree with you, to a point. I think one needs to step back, Obama wasn't trying to push nationalized medicine through the government. He was trying for healthcare reform. The GOP should have offer up for constructive ideas for that. A GOP proposal would have increase healthcare by 3 million people. Not a bad idea, but clearly not as helpful as Obama's plan, which would cover 32 million.

Considering that the GOP, at least a majority of it, supported something very similar to Obama's bill in the 90s, but never passed it once they got the majority, makes it very clear the GOP was far more interested in politics then policy.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Even two voices are not enough. The parties themselves are contributing to the problem far more than any good they are doing.

16. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Actually a three party platform would be just as disfunctional, the third party would always choose a side in order to gain power. A four party system with far left, mid left, mid right and far right would function much better...

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Obama's plan doesn't cover 32 million people, it simply forces them to buy into a corrupt system. I can feed the poor by mandating they buy food.

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    We have 3 parties debating in our lower chamber (UK parlt.) and the 3rd party very much has it's own identity and agenda. It doesn't do anything like choose a side, it is its own side..

19. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Fair enough.
    Every time ive seen a third party in the us, they just end up stripping one side of their votes...
    i.e. Ross Perot, Ralph Nader etc...
    If the tea baggers enter the picture they will, ironically, screw the right.

20. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Bill Maher is awesome, I try to watch Real Time every week.