Bill Maher: Young people, we need you to vote

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

2. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Already voted :D If the Trump presidency has done nothing else, it's gotten me and other young people to pay attention to and care about voting.

3. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Oh is this the 2020 election? I did not know...

4. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

"I'm not saying Trump is Hitler, Hitler volunteered for the army" :D

But....

Better stop comparing Trump to Hitler, Wilhelm2 is a much better fit:

- entitled brat just been lucky to have inherited from his grandfather

- severe body issue (well Trump did/does it to himself, while Willi2 had a rough birth)

- overcompensating for really just being a weakling

- never worked for a single day in his life

- thinks he is smart, but clearly isn't

- 0 compassion

- can't compute that people might talk (and make deals) behind his back

- thinks the army (and the (wo)men in it) is just a toy to be used to bolster his ego

5. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

I thought I was a pessimist and have been preparing for a lackluster showing by dems/progressives; but plenty of other people -- many that are heavily involved in voter initiatives & GOTV campaigns -- are resigned to Dems not having a large enough wave this coming Tuesday. Partially because too many younger voters are not involved and enough are actively avoiding voting. I don't know what more can be done to show that they need to get off their collective ass.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

To be fair a lot of political candidates are pretty ****. Certainly that’s my impression for a rich part of the U.K.

7. Thomas Veil, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018

Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Interesting point. (Although the Nazi rally at Madison Square Garden was chilling. I’d never seen that before.)

Frankly, the electorate has proven so erratic that I don’t know what to expect. I’m prepared for anything from a larger-than-expected blue wave to maintaining status quo in the House.

Addendum:

On the other hand, there’s this. Speaking of PTSD college students are still feeling from the 2016 election...

So vote! Get your friends to vote. Just get off your ass and do it.

8. Huntn, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

• Previous Presidents declared war, but never on reality. :oops:
    • Do you know when it’s ok to yell fire in a theater? When it’s On fire.
    • This is a slow moving coup.
    • To the youth, we need you, like you need your ant-anxiety meds.
    • Treat this election as the March For Your Life.
    Absolute truth in this video.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2018 ---
    I presume some people are not motivated until they actually feel pain, but then some are feeling pain and still listen to the liars and spend their lives in a confused bubble.

9. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Are you/they serious with this PTSD from an ELECTION? Huh? Perhaps that "snowflake" and "safe space sissies" is a valid description of some of these bedwetters in college. Holy Crap. Who raises these people to be such wussies? probably parents that went to Cal-Berkely too and had their feelings "hurt" on a regular basis by things like, I dunno, not getting their way? :rolleyes:

PTSD is reserved for people that actually suffered something truly traumatic. Its not for college babies that didnt get their free stuff. OMFG.... is this what the current crop of 18-24 year olds are really like? Im shocked. Wow. My 19 year old daughter certainly has her issues but she isnt a total sissy. Thankfully.

Cant decide whether to laugh or cry here. Both make sense.

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

LOL. I think you're taking their use of "PTSD" a little too literally.

Let me put it to you this way.

In the real world -- the kind where the laws of logic and physics apply -- there is no way in hell Trump should have won. No way he should have even been nominated. He is a buffoon, a con man and a dictator wanna-be, the absolute worst candidate anyone from any party had to offer.

And yet on election night they go and tell us that this pathetic excuse for a human being, this proof that God does make mistakes, was going to be the leader of our country.

You'll forgive us for thinking that the voters had lost their collective marbles.

It still feels like Rod Serling should step out of the shadows and tell us that we're all living in one of his more nightmarish stories. So don't be surprised that people feel it could happen again. That's not being a snowflake. It does, however, represent our stunned realization and acceptance that there is nothing so low and so grotesque that the American voter will not vote for it.

11. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Well they shouldn’t have used that term then if they didn’t mean it. When you see PTSD that’s exactly what most people expect it to imply. It probably does fit though. These are the same students that need crayons and safe spaces when their feelings are out of whack. Whatever I guess.

As for Trump, he’s certainly got plenty of issues but I think him winning just showed everyone how horrible of a candidate Hillary was. She should be embarrassed to have lost to Trump. The cringeworthy Trump was still a better choice for enough people over the ultimate career politician and Washington insider known as Hillary Clinton. Like most elections, people were voting against her more than for Trump. You can blame your beloved democrats for chucking her out there. Fail. :)