Bill O'Reilly, a lady of temperance

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SoAnyway, Jan 16, 2014.

1. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

Here's a video of Fox's Bill O'Reilly receiving a taste of his own medicine.

O'Reilly is known for his poor and often condescending demeanor towards his guests. However, he had fellow conservative Mary Katherine Ham on to debate marijuana legalization and she turns the tables on him.

Towards the end of the segment, O'Reilly looked like he was about to lose his temper and have another one of his "we'll do it live" moments.

It doesn't matter who it is but I enjoyed seeing someone stand up to O'Reilly. He is such of a bully that he deserves being bullied back.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

He probably gave her more slack because she is a Fox News Contributer...
    The most glaring hole in O'Reilly's argument is that the war on drugs is a huge expense with basically no reward. Drug addiction should be treated as a medical issue, not a legal/incarceration issue.

3. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

"But what about the children?"

What do children have to do with this? :confused:

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We should legalize it federally and slap a tax on it that can only be used to pay down our debt.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm left a little confused by his position, because at one point he said something like, " ... if adults want to do it, then I have no problem with that."

So is he okay with adults choosing to legalize marijuana and just arguing a side point about children's health?

Or is he saying that the risk to children trumps the adults' right to legalize pot?

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    If it's legal for adults, they might smoke it and become giant potheads who lose all their motivation, drop out of school, and eventually become deadbeat welfare sucking leeches of the state who cost us tens of trillions of dollars a year to support. It'll destroy society.

...you know, like how alcohol did.

Okay, the simple fact is if pot is legalized on a national level tomorrow, it won't make a damn bit of difference. The kids who want to get high are getting high now. It's not exactly like the stuff is hard to get. Legalizing it only means these kids will have to convince someone over the age of 21 to go to the local government regulated pot store to buy them all a quarter-O as opposed to talking to "their contact". Oooh.

Yeah, some kids might be more willing to experiment once it's taken off the controlled substance list, but you know what? I don't care. I'd much rather a bunch of kids get high in their basements than go out and get drunk. For one reason, high people are considerably more mellow, and less prone to violence or acts of criminal stupidity. Worst case scenario is they all decide to get in the car and go to Taco Bell (cuz a burrito sounds, like, so good right now), and their parents have to bail them out of jail because they got caught driving down the road at 15 miles an hour. Oooh.

Like alcohol, we should advocate moderation. And like alcohol, it shouldn't be illegal. Yeah, some people will overindulge. Some people might even become mentally addicted. But there are bad sides to everything, and the potential downsides of legalization are far preferable to the current status quo, where possession of pot in certain quantities is considered a felony, and some guy gets thrown in jail for life after strike three because he was unfortunate enough to get caught buying enough to stock his cupboards for the winter three years in a row.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

He seems to be saying he does not mind if adults use it, but because of it's effect on kids, he thinks adults should not be able to use it and it should remain illegal. Very clear... he's an idiot. :p

8. SoAnyway thread starter macrumors 6502

This is Bill O'Reilly we're talking about, a guy who doesn't know how the cycle of tides works. Is anything he says supposed to make any sense?

9. SoAnyway thread starter macrumors 6502

I think O'Reilly is hiding behind children and using them to keep marijuana illegal because he personally doesn't believe it should be legal. If anything, he'll say that it should be legal for adults on air while he really believes the opposite.

10. dec. Suspended

dec.

I wonder if this Bill O'Reilly guy is really just a satire and they are trolling conservatives?

I'm all for legalizing pot. Personally, it doesn't have any appeal to me, I don't handle it well, I get tired from it to the point where I can't enjoy things, but I cannot see why alcohol is allowed* and pot isn't, the health risks seem higher with alcohol.

*that does remind me of my trip to see my brother and his family in Texas, apparently they live in a "dry county" so we had to drive 20 miles over to another one where they were allowed to sell booze... weird, weird world.

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Bill O'Reilly is not a conservative. I think most people know this based upon his own positions over the last decade.

He's a moderate at best. Slightly center-right.

12. SoAnyway thread starter macrumors 6502

I nearly fell over laughing after reading your post. Saying that Bill O'Reilly is not a conservative is like saying the Pope is not a Catholic.

What views of Bill O'Reilly's support him being just slightly center right as you claim?

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Since you don't actually pay attention to Fox, why do you care?

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Of all the shouting heads on Fox News, I've always considered Bill O'Reilly to be the most malignant.

Lets not kid ourselves here: Hannity is by far a bigger idiot. Back in the day Glenn Beck took nutty Reichwing paranoia to new heights. Stuart Varney manages to wrap American conservative self-pity in a Page Three tabloid sensibility that make me despair for the English-speaking press. And Steve Doocy just needs to be taken out and kicked repeatedly in the balls.

But O'Reilly manages to carry off his misinformed bigotry with a frisson of gravitas. Its as if his Masters from the John F. Kennedy School at Harvard makes his prior years hosting Entertainment Tonight disappear.

To my certain knowledge, Bill O'Reilly is the only known human to have stormed off an on-air interview with Terry Gross. That takes not just conservative chops, but Championship-level a-holiness.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'd like to hear about his "moderate" social/political positions. :)

16. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Because *other* people do, to the great detriment of our society.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Even worse are their so-called experts like "Dr." Keith Ablow. A certifiable loon.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

M.K. Ham is on "the factor" nearly every week or twice a week.

19. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

He's flat out said be is pro gun registration and confiscation. That is absolutely not a conservative position because a conservative is for limited or 'conservative" use of federal power over the people.

It's got nothing to do with Christmas or Gays. Anyone that advocates emboldening, empowering, and increasing the federal government in a capricious fashion is not a conservative even if they are against gay marriage.

20. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I don't remember the confiscation part, perhaps a source is in order.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/bill-oreilly-gun-control-will-not-stop-dangerous-criminals/
    http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/oreilly/2013/02/08/bill-oreilly-debate-over-guns-ramps
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/04/bill-oreilly-gun-control_n_2236921.html
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...l-moyers-gun-control-pbs-lucky_n_1697734.html

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He never called for confiscating guns. He said he agreed with being able to confiscate guns during emergencies. However, in the eyes of the gun nuts, those two things are the same.

22. SoAnyway thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know what leg you have to stand on when I obviously paid attention to this clip from O'Reilly's show.

Guys like O'Reilly brought the narrative so far to the extreme right and called it a moderate position that the true center looks like the left when it isn't.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Having a small number of liberal views doesn't make you a non-conservative - just like having a small number of conservative views doesn't make you a non-liberal.

The world isn't that black and white.

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Well that is 1 moderate position but that in itself does not make him a moderate IMO. :)

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

He's more like a lobbyist IMO. I doubt he believes half of what comes out his own mouth.