Bill O'Reilly now advocates (limited) gun control

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/bill-oreilly-takes-stunning-stance-154449244.html

O'Reilly is not suddenly anti-gun (after Orlando massacre) but apparently he's now pivoted against military-type assault weapons.

2. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I remember him once saying he supported a public option for healthcare, too. He has his (fleeting) moments.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

O'Reilly is a master of taking both sides of an issue. He missed his calling as a politician.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I think sometimes in the current polarised political climate that we tend to demonize each other. I don't like O'Reilly, but I suspect somewhere deep within him is a human being trying to do the right thing in spite of his absurd world view. :p

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

Pivot suddenly became a popular word on this board. At the end of the day ....

6. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Yes, he support a ban on "Assault Rifles" that would save tops 100-150 lives a year, not hand guns, used in 80% of gun deaths. Banning Assault Rifles sounds good on TV and scores political points, but does very little to save lives.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

He still interrupts every guest when they get to their point. O'Reilly's interviews suck.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

O'Reilly pivots them away from BS'ing and get's it back on track. But he gives them the last word most of the time.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Bill says what he must to keep his show on air.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This thread epitomizes the old saying "even a broken clock is right twice a day."

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

and always will be

you gotta finish those sentiments..:mad:

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

A rich moron. Highest rated show on the highest rated cable news network. Also a veteran reporter.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Um, highest rated news show. Spongebob draws at least twice the viewers.

15. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

16. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

With time and evidence and experiences anyone has the freedom and right to change a belief or opinion on an issue.

I fail to see what the problem is. Doesn't matter if I agree on the issue or person changing stance on said issue or not, it is about a human right.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 16, 2016 ---
    Or he pivots them away if Bill thinks Bill is losing control of Bill's show too much to opinions or even context within a formerly agreed opinion Bill doesn't agree with. He's generally good with EQ and crowd pleasing, but when the slightest hint of democracy wafts through he then hates having to think on his feet so he uses either schmooze or screaming as opposed to anything more assertive.

But it is a TV show, entertainment. The network is largely entertainment to begin with, no worse than the Colbert report...

http://www.newscorpse.com/ncWP/?p=27363

And, yes, I've seen O'Reilly's show and used to be quite the fan. Indeed, I bet you don't know of his Special from almost 15 years ago where he was bashing the media for having a bad effect on children, all while managing to ignore FOX Broadcasting's own palpable and relevant contributions to the downfall of the kiddies.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2002/10/14/oreilly-factor-special-corruption-american-child.html

But that's okay, nothing ever once said on "The Simpsons" (like swear words, bodily function noises, etc) or "Family Guy" (like swear words, bodily function noises, etc), "Married with Children" (does that one have to be explained), "In Living Color", "MadTV", "House of Buggin", and scores of other shows that are aimed at various demographics and being cartoons, those are hard to argue in favor of regarding children that he was saying "Please think of the children" regarding.

Doesn't mean I disagreed with him, but the sheer absence of a single FOX show only showed the lack of humility and maturity on the network's part. FOX owns both the cable and broadcast networks, there is no way it can be spun otherwise.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 16, 2016 ---
    But useful for when enemies try to take over--

Oi, when's the last time American citizens were fighting ground troops invading on American soil en masse? 1865?

True, 1941 had a couple airplanes, but nothing compared to what Hitler was doing across Europe, where I bet they wish they had more good guys with guns...

17. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Actually in 2014 the number of murders by rifles was 248. That is down however from 357 in 2010. Not only that but rifles are used in far fewer murders even after the expiration of the 1994 gun ban. Rifles are also used in a smaller percentage of homicides overall.

Homicides overall are down as well which is worth noting too. The key I keep pointing out to people too is the total number of gun related homicides. It's not 40k or 35k, and growing. It's far far lower people. Now factor in how many of say the 8k or so murdered are rats killing rats and trailer trash I keep mentioning. Those are the facts right from the FBI. So in the end, I should give up any portion of my 2A to save the them? I'll pass thank you very much.

[​IMG]

18. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Yes, 248 people died via murder by rifle, but not all of them were "Assault Rifles" of the type Bill O' wants to ban.

19. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Agree and thus why all the posts and talk here from uninformed people arguing with us about AR's is laughable. Not only do they not have any knowledge or experience with any firearm, let alone an AR, they don't even properly understand the statistics around the use of them in crimes.

Really, Obama and ALL of the legislaters are going to waste time arguing about his. I want my tax dollars back.

20. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Not if a blind squirrel steals one of the hands off the clock to help it hunt for nuts.

21. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

spongebob is on a completely different level than o'reilly

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you kidding? SB is actually entertaining.

23. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

yeah i know...i'm in my mid-20s :( and i still watch it. when i get weird looks from my friends I just tell them it's their loss.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I am 45, and I have sang... " I am a goofy goober".......

25. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

i've played guitar for around 6 years and i am definitely going to learn that song in its entirety eventually.