Bill Snyder: Universities have "sold out" to TV money

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cave Man, Aug 7, 2014.

1. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Of course they have.

That said.....we're all guilty of aiding and abetting this. We demand the product and ESPN/ABC/CBS/Fox all pay to get access to it. The more we demand it the more the media outlets are going to pay for the rights to show it.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Ummm, no we're not all guilty of it. I do not watch or pay for ESPN/ABC/CBS/FOX. I do not demand access to sports at all.

Don't blame me, thanks.

3. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Was about to say the same thing!

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

First, let's end the comedy that college athletes are students and pay them what they're worth.

5. malman89 macrumors 68000

Sure, let's split them off into a professional minor league for football and basketball and stop faking like we're balancing academics and athletics.

The NFL and NBA make tons of money off the college system without contributing anything to it. Make them take responsibility for their feeder programs, since that's what colleges are.

6. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Haven't watched broadcast TV or cable TV in about 4 years. Take credit for this all on your own.

7. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Sorry to offend the cable/satellite ideologically pure. Of course the "we" was a generality about all sports/college football fans.

I live in the south. The "we" is basically everyone when it comes to CFB.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If we were talking about premier league football I'd agree with ugahairydawgs even though technically I don't pay for it.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Hehehe, I've spent some time in Alabama: I've noticed. :p

10. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

Or better yet, allow student athletes to hold NCAA-approved off-campus jobs that earn up to US$20,000 per year. The NCAA is trying to promote the "fiction" of the genteel poverty student-athlete and given the SMU scandal of the 1980's and the fact boosters are giving student-athletes "handshake" payments of a couple of hundred US dollars every now and then, we need some major reforms.

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Same here.

Know others in the same boat. Living in the south, even.

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

In an era of declining funding and support of public (and even private) universities they have become ever more dependent on revenue generators like college sports.

Society can't simultaneously demand lower tuition, less funding for colleges and universities, and undermine the revenue institutions get from these sports programs.

13. malman89 macrumors 68000

Except almost all athletic departments operate at a loss. That means they're sucking away from the university general fund.

I don't think it's merely taking an advantageous interpretation of the numbers like their professional counterparts, either. Non-profitable professional teams can get revenue sharing from their leagues or tax breaks (or outright $$) from their communities. I don't see any advantage for a school athletic department to be misleading in their financial reporting, outside of siphoning off more $ from the university as a whole.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's "fuzzy math". The universities make a lot of money from the brand because it gets licensed out in a variety of ways--apparel, distribution rights, etc. The athletic department itself might lose money but that's looking at only one part of the operation. Believe me, they rake it in--when the brand isn't tarnished.

15. malman89 macrumors 68000

Maybe - big maybe - the Power 5 conferences do. That's, what, 60ish schools? That still leaves hundreds of other universities that I doubt are raking in the money. And even then, I'd wager the bottom feeders in those conferences aren't doing so hot.

I went to a school where sports didn't matter, but we still had plenty of them. Our biggest sports were M/W Soccer and M Volleyball, no football. There's no way the university made money on athletics. There were no serious TV deals, apparel contract, or massive ticket sales revenue.

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sports sells out to money?

How can that be???

:eek:

17. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

In what world is university tuition not skyrocketing?