Bill would let Michigan doctors, EMTs refuse to treat gay patients

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
I am wondering what bible these Christian lawmakers are reading? it seems it is not the normal one. their obsession with who is having sex with who is the only important thing in their lives. I think they are reading bigotry 66.6
Why do Christians get more rights then other people?
can you imagine the screams of persecution of a Doctor or emt refused to help a christian?
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bill-would-let-michigan-doctors-emts-refuse-to-treat-gay-patients/

LANSING, Mich. -- Can doctors and emergency medical technicians legally refuse to give life saving assistance to a gay person, because of their religious beliefs? That question is being debated in the Michigan legislature.

The Republican-led House has approved the Michigan Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which essentially states that people do not have to perform an act that would violate their sincerely held religious beliefs.

"For example, a Christian doctor who does not believe in a gay lifestyle would not have to treat a gay patient," CBS Detroit legal analyst Charlie Langton said. "Or perhaps, a Jewish butcher would not have to handle non-Kosher meat."

Opponents say the bill, which is modeled after a federal law upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court, legalizes discrimination. Critics say extreme cases may unfairly deny people basic rights.

House Speaker Jase Bolger,who sponsored the bill, said the intention is to protect people's religious beliefs from government overreach.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
True, but that's a lot different than, say, an ER surgeon refusing to work on a gay auto accident victim.
but we see it trying to go that way. but it would break a doctors Hippocratic oath to not provide help. the whole idea is so stupid as how is helping a person support their lifestyle? me thinks these people need to commune with Jesus a bit more

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
This morning I read this. In this case it's not about treating a gay person that could invoke the "wrath" of that doctors "god", but a child. So technically how do these "religious" people handle it - if you're related to some one gay, you automatically have good connections to "hell" and a risk to their own personal "paradise" or how does this whole thing work? :confused:

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
I always thought Christians were all supposed to be "love the sinner, hate the sin". How does denying someone help because you don't approve of the lives they lead make sense in terms of their faith?

Christ-like indeed.
no that is not a christian concept it is a judgment one. I Judge you are less then me but I guess I can love you anyway well if you change. a passive/aggressive thing.

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
How in the hell is an EMT NOT going to treat a gay person ?

Are they going to ask them their sexual preference in the middle of a horrific car crash scene ?

What if the gay person is unconscious ?

Renzatic

Suspended
no that is not a christian concept it is a judgment one. I Judge you are less then me but I guess I can love you anyway well if you change. a passive/aggressive thing.
No, it's very much a Christian thing, though not necessarily a modern evangelical one.

Jesus' teachings could basically be boiled down to "be humble, help those less fortunate, and don't judge people, cuz you're far from being qualified to do so, damnit".

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
How in the hell is an EMT NOT going to treat a gay person ?

Are they going to ask them their sexual preference in the middle of a horrific car crash scene ?

What if the gay person is unconscious ?

It will be a requirement to get a gay tattoo or gay haircuts for easy identification

----------

No, it's very much a Christian thing, though not necessarily a modern evangelical one.

Jesus' teachings could basically be boiled down to "be humble, help those less fortunate, and don't judge people, cuz you're far from being qualified to do so, damnit".

I meant not in the Bible

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
What we need is Jesus to come back and tell everyone to ****ing follow the bible.

What we need is non-Christians proposing the same bull **** laws but substitute Christian for gay.

Your religion is between you and whatever mythical creature you believe in. Keep it out of other's lives.

My signature seems appropriate here.

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
They need a bill that would let EMTs and doctors refuse treatment to politicians.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Just a hunch on my part, but I suspect Jesus wouldn't resort to such ugly language to get his point across.
There should be a thread: What would Jesus do. :D

I think he'd look like me, says about the same stuff I do and swears a lot.
He'd probably get banned in no time. For trolling! :p