Bill would let Michigan doctors, EMTs refuse to treat gay patients

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Feb 19, 2015.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I am wondering what bible these Christian lawmakers are reading? it seems it is not the normal one. their obsession with who is having sex with who is the only important thing in their lives. I think they are reading bigotry 66.6
    Why do Christians get more rights then other people?
    can you imagine the screams of persecution of a Doctor or emt refused to help a christian?
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bill-would-let-michigan-doctors-emts-refuse-to-treat-gay-patients/

LANSING, Mich. -- Can doctors and emergency medical technicians legally refuse to give life saving assistance to a gay person, because of their religious beliefs? That question is being debated in the Michigan legislature.

The Republican-led House has approved the Michigan Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which essentially states that people do not have to perform an act that would violate their sincerely held religious beliefs.

"For example, a Christian doctor who does not believe in a gay lifestyle would not have to treat a gay patient," CBS Detroit legal analyst Charlie Langton said. "Or perhaps, a Jewish butcher would not have to handle non-Kosher meat."

Opponents say the bill, which is modeled after a federal law upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court, legalizes discrimination. Critics say extreme cases may unfairly deny people basic rights.

House Speaker Jase Bolger,who sponsored the bill, said the intention is to protect people's religious beliefs from government overreach.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I doubt this will go anywhere and if it does I'd wager the SCOTUS would overturn it.

3. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

not sure they have given rights to hobby lobby they did not warrant.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

True, but that's a lot different than, say, an ER surgeon refusing to work on a gay auto accident victim.

5. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

but we see it trying to go that way. but it would break a doctors Hippocratic oath to not provide help. the whole idea is so stupid as how is helping a person support their lifestyle? me thinks these people need to commune with Jesus a bit more

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

Every time I see SCOTUS, I read it as SCROTUM. Am I gay?

7. dec. Suspended

dec.

This morning I read this. In this case it's not about treating a gay person that could invoke the "wrath" of that doctors "god", but a child. So technically how do these "religious" people handle it - if you're related to some one gay, you automatically have good connections to "hell" and a risk to their own personal "paradise" or how does this whole thing work? :confused:

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's probably just immaturity.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I always thought Christians were all supposed to be "love the sinner, hate the sin". How does denying someone help because you don't approve of the lives they lead make sense in terms of their faith?

Christ-like indeed.

10. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

no that is not a christian concept it is a judgment one. I Judge you are less then me but I guess I can love you anyway well if you change. a passive/aggressive thing.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

How in the hell is an EMT NOT going to treat a gay person ?

Are they going to ask them their sexual preference in the middle of a horrific car crash scene ?

What if the gay person is unconscious ?

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

No, it's very much a Christian thing, though not necessarily a modern evangelical one.

Jesus' teachings could basically be boiled down to "be humble, help those less fortunate, and don't judge people, cuz you're far from being qualified to do so, damnit".

13. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

It will be a requirement to get a gay tattoo or gay haircuts for easy identification

----------

I meant not in the Bible

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

You're right. It's not a verbatim quote, but it's a distillation of some of the points of the gospels.

15. kds1 Suspended

kds1

You never know with those creeps Scalia and Thomas and Roberts.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

Different christian sects have different interpretations of it.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What we need is Jesus to come back and tell everyone to ****ing follow the bible.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What we need is non-Christians proposing the same bull **** laws but substitute Christian for gay.

Your religion is between you and whatever mythical creature you believe in. Keep it out of other's lives.

My signature seems appropriate here.

19. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yep and when it comes to the law they're all equally irrelevant.

20. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

They need a bill that would let EMTs and doctors refuse treatment to politicians.

21. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

Bill would let Michigan doctors, EMTs refuse to treat gay patients

Waste of time they seem to live forever

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Just a hunch on my part, but I suspect Jesus wouldn't resort to such ugly language to get his point across.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

There should be a thread: What would Jesus do. :D

I think he'd look like me, says about the same stuff I do and swears a lot.
    He'd probably get banned in no time. For trolling! :p

24. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I'm not sure the homosexuals would be down with that.