Billionaire Says He Can ‘Relate’ To Federal Workers Who Can’t Pay Bills During Shutdown

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
Donald Trump was born a millionaire.

President Donald Trump, one of the richest men in America, wants you to believe he can empathize with federal employees who are struggling to make ends meet as the partial government shutdown heads into a third week.

The shutdown, already one of the longest in U.S. history, has left an estimated 800,000 federal workers either furloughed or, if deemed essential, working without pay.

“Mr. President, can you relate to the pain of federal workers who can’t pay their bills?” a reporter asked Trump outside the White House on Sunday.

“I can relate,” the president responded. “And I’m sure that the people that are toward the receiving end will make adjustments, they always do. And they’ll make adjustments. People understand exactly what’s going on.”

“Many of those people that won’t be receiving a paycheck, many of those people agree 100 percent with what I’m doing,” he added, without evidence.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
"People understand exactly what’s going on" But this is one of his mantras. Things like "people see what's going on" and you/people see what's been happening. And so on. It's what he says when he has no clue on details.

Intelligent people do understand what's going on in regard to this though. But that's not what he meant in the slightest.

Reactions: PracticalMac

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
Eh, without further evidence, I refuse to believe that he's really a billionaire. It's my guess that his special purpose LLCs are so loaded with non-recourse debt that his overall operation has a net worth well below $1 billion.

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
Eh, without further evidence, I refuse to believe that he's really a billionaire. It's my guess that his special purpose LLCs are so loaded with non-recourse debt that his overall operation has a net worth well below $1 billion.
With the new House we're going to find out one way or the other for sure now. Get 'em, Nancy!

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Yay, nothing is still getting done! The best part is that is happening even faster now. Two parties are great!

Reactions: jkcerda

arkitect

macrumors 603
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
It’s funny you mock him for this when some of you have pointed out he has filed BK before .......
Why?
The premise still holds. Very rich man says he can relate to monthly pay check workers… hahahaha.

No matter how often he has declared bankruptcy, he has been bailed out… and here he is still with far more than 99% of people.
Just remember that we're not talking about a Mom & Pop store closing down.
Sometimes people have all the dice loaded on their side.

Oh, and no, nothing to do with "great at making deals."

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Why?
The premise still holds. Very rich man says he can relate to monthly pay check workers… hahahaha.

No matter how often he has declared bankruptcy, he has been bailed out… and here he is still with far more than 99% of people.
Just remember that we're not talking about a Mom & Pop store closing down.
Sometimes people have all the dice loaded on their side.

Oh, and no, nothing to do with "great at making deals."
Those who file BK generally do so because you can’t pay the bills....

Reactions: yaxomoxay

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
I wanna be a billionaire so freakin' bad
Buy all of the things I never had

I wanna be on the cover of Forbes magazine
Smiling next to Oprah and the Queen
[doublepost=1547045604][/doublepost]
Those who file BK generally do so because you can’t pay the bills....
He filed bankruptcy so that others can pay off his moronic irresponsible debts! :mad: And then once the others (banks, investors, clients) have been forced (by the courts) to write off HIS debts, Donald still got to keep all his fancy cars, nice mansions, his trophy mail order wife, and his fancy steak dinners with ketchup.

You see….. without bankruptcy protection, he actually would have lost everything, and would really would not be able to put food on the table.

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I don't think Donald Trump has ever filed for bankruptcy. His businesses have. In Trump's own words:
I wanna be a billionaire so freakin' bad
Buy all of the things I never had

I wanna be on the cover of Forbes magazine
Smiling next to Oprah and the Queen
[doublepost=1547045604][/doublepost]

He filed bankruptcy so that others can pay off his moronic irresponsible debts! :mad: And then once the others (banks, investors, clients) have been forced (by the courts) to write off HIS debts, Donald still got to keep all his fancy cars, nice mansions, his trophy mail order wife, and his fancy steak dinners with ketchup.

You see….. without bankruptcy protection, he actually would have lost everything, and would really would not be able to put food on the table.
OMG so he CAN relate to people who have not been able to pay his bills.........................

thanks for playing.

Reactions: raqball

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
OMG so he CAN relate to people who have not been able to pay his bills.........................

thanks for playing.
Well we know he certainly doesn't like to pay bills. Whether or not he couldn't is another matter...

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.

thanks for playing.
No, he really can’t.

A family living paycheck to paycheck and abruptly having that paycheck stop isn’t even remotely similar to one (or even some) of Trump’s businesses not being able to service their debt.

I’m pretty sure Trump has never had to decide between groceries and keeping the lights on while he waited for his high priced lawyers to work through his bankruptcy proceedings.

Last edited: