Billions face climate change risk

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 6, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

bbc

i fully expect the nay-sayers to come out in droves, or some wondering what's new here. i'll refer back to the bolded bits (my emphasis).

good times.

2. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Me, being 15, is going to grow up in a messed up would.

(that somehow doesn't sound right grammar wise)

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Hey, that's long term. What's happening with the NBA?

Sarcasm switch off.

If you really want something worrisome, Google up "honeybee" + "mortality". That's far more short term.

'Rat

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Being young or old should make no difference. It takes an impressive level of misanthropy and selfishness not to care about these things.

Unfortunately, issues like these require leadership, and we're not going to have any of that in the White House until at least 2009.

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I read The Greening Of America when I was pretty young. Still, I was enlightened to the environmental cause, before I had finished the book. That was 1972. I became active in 1980. Many years have gone by, and we are still debating whether we have a problem.

6. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Am I the only one who feels like it's becoming harder and harder to really care about these kinds of things?

I mean, I'm all for saving the environment and everything, but somewhere between pollution, accumulating waste, killer bees, oil shortages, terrorists, meteors the size of Rhode Island, weapons of mass destruction, the rain forest burning down, the increasingly large hole in the ozone, the West Nile virus, California floating away (I never really understood this one), increasing crime rates, the national debt, the Bush Administration (this one speaks for itself), and of course global warming, I tend to lose focus.

I'm not saying in any way that this issue isn't a big deal, it's just hard to care so much about something when there seems to be so many "somethings" to care about.

Anyone feel the same way?

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You see, your list is only going to get bigger as more and more pressures from environmental upheaval affect the populations around the world.

What happens when all those Africans start to get thirsty? What happens when 3 or 4 cities get hit by Katrina-esque hurricanes in one year? What happens if the sea level rises just 10 feet and force mass displacement of coastal areas world wide?

Its just the start and the only real question is how long is it going to take before it happens. Even if we cut back on emissions now, things are still going to change.

The potential for worse is definitely there - I just hope something happens to prevent most of it.

D

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem is that over the last week the temps in the northeast have been some good 15 degrees below normal with snow. Most people are wondering where the global warming is. It is hard to push it on people when everyone is still worrying about their winter oil bills.

9. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

We had record lows here in the Midwest last weekend too.

10. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

as i've said before, the greatest disservice done to this problem is to call it "global warming". now it's easy for anyone to say, "hey, it's cold! ain't no such thing!"

we should be calling it climate change. some places will get hotter, some colder. seasons will be more extreme. weather patterns will change, storms will become more violent. arid areas will become more dry -- catastrophically so, while wet areas will get more precipitation -- catastrophically so.

the oceans are getting more acidic and the bottom of the food chain is dying off.

so please stop citing an anecdotal cold snap as evidence that all is normal. it's not, surely as the earth is no longer flat.

11. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

after record highs in january. huh.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That is the problem tho, people say the earth is getting warmer, yet when we are in a cold snap everyone says, well when is it going to warm up. Its not going to be easy to convince people that this is effecting them when they don't see it happening first hand.

13. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

One thing I've always wondered about "global warming" is, if the ice caps are melting, how would that cause the sea level to rise? The ice caps displace the same amount of water whether they are floating on the surface of the ocean or melted away, so how does this cause the sea level to rise? If anything, I would think that it would become lower, because the ice caps take up a higher amount volume in a frozen state than liquid.

:confused:

14. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

welcome to the land of anti-science. just because people can't differentiate between anecdotal experience and, say, 29,000 experiments and a worldwide consortium of scientists saying we're already seeing the beginnings the coming catastrophe, doesn't make it untrue.

sadly, as you're alluding, it does make it difficult to put pressure on politicians to do anything. so the smart people like me go down in the same ship w/ the nay-sayers driving SUVs.

all hail short-sightedness and stupidity.

15. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

because much of the ice is isn't in the water now. like all that ice sitting on top of land in antartica, for example.

it's more than just sea levels, too, we're talking about introducing a massive amount of fresh water into sea water. there's already evidence that the forces which circulate cold/warm water and cold/warm air all throughout the atlantic, indian ocean and parts of the pacific are shutting down. once it does, the northern half of europe will go into a deep, uninhabitable freeze. like another ice age. ironic? only if we keep mislabeling it "global warming".

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

When we had a warm spell in January the people were not saying oh no global warming but, wow this is nice Im gonna go outside. Then when it got cold everyone was pissed off.

17. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

"the people". "everyone". you still don't get the difference between anecdotes and science, do you?

18. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Wouldn't be because there's more than 6 BILLION at the top of the food chain? Face it, as long as it's tolerable here that number will grow to 7 and then 8 and then continue to grow upwards from there. If we're the source of warming (as opposed to the Sun) then addressing the growth in population is going to matter a hell of a lot more than getting 2 more miles per gallon.

Seems we should go back to burning coal and get that nuclear winter thing going again because we were heading for an ice age not 30 years ago. They'd probably offset nicely .

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

We could get all the SUV's off the roads but as more people drive smaller cars those numbers will offset anyways. We still have to find away to get the big 18 wheelers off of the fuel.

20. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

But I have Sudanese carbon offsets! Between the 27 of us, we only have one SUV!

21. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Hasn't the earth naturally gone through climate cycles (read: time periods where it was much hotter than normal and time periods where it was much cooler) in the past several million years? What makes this any different? How can we be so sure we are causing it, and more importantly, that we have the power to do anything about it?

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Those damn dinosaurs and their big SUV's ironic that when they died we used them for fuel.

23. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I still can't figure out the SUV thing though. Those of us with large numbers of passengers every trip can't be expected to drive everywhere in two or three cars.

I drive a small car when I'm by myself, but I have my SUV when we go anywhere with the family.

24. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Yes, there's already been several 100 milliion plus year periods where it has been warmer than it is now.

25. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

*prays this doesn't turn into another exhaustingly long hummer thread*