Billy Graham has died at age 99

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Feb 21, 2018.

1. martint235 macrumors 6502

martint235

RIP. But he's now about to find out whether or not he's been right or wrong all these years.

2. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Oh the social media culture war about Graham will be lit.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

He's going to be pissed if he goes nowhere after fighting the fight all these years.

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

5. Zenithal macrumors G3

Sad only because a family lost their grandfather and father. Terrible man otherwise.

6. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I did not follow him closely, but of the high profile TV evangelicals he seemed more on the reasonable end of the spectrum and was not a flaming self centered hypocrite. RIP.
    Or maybe he just restarted as a newborn human being looking forward to another lifetime of fun or is oblivious to anything at all. :)

7. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

8. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

His son is a d**k too, just like Donald Jr. :)

9. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Graham, on one of the Nixon White House tapes, talking with Nixon about "the Jews":

Source

I don't believe in hell, but if Graham was right and it exists, he's probably there now.

10. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

macpro2000

There is no reason Apple shouldn't have him on their home page. He was a saint compared to MLK.

11. jerwin macrumors 68020

so, do you really like this graham fellow, or are you determined to poison the well with your...?

12. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

macpro2000

Im just saying what I said. It's the truth. Although you prob believe BLM is legit. lol

13. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Ok, not a good sign...as I said, I did not follow him. Prejudice is a common human ailment.

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The New York Times obituary on Rev. Graham is well worth a read.

As a side note, papers such as the Times keep up-to-date biographical files on thousands of prominent people, especially as they move into their later years. Meticulously fact-checked, these files mean the paper usually has an obituary ready for publication within a few minutes of confirmation of the person's death. They also have a team of talented writers who create elegantly crafted biographical essays on their subjects. The Times obit column is an often-entertaining and enlightening pleasure to read.

15. jerwin macrumors 68020

last may, the ATlantic published this on Franklin Graham.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/05/franklin-graham/527013/

and, so, when Billy Graham died, the generosity of spirit that typically accompanies such deaths was abated by the knowledge that someone, speaking for "Graham" consistently attacks LGBT persons, and defends Trump, not in spite of his crassness, but because of it. Perhaps The elder Graham mellowed in his old age, or perhaps Billy Graham merely concealed his bigotry with flowery words, and Franklin Graham doesn't bother with that concession. I don't know, but, it doesn't sit well with me.

Frankly, the world would be a better place if Franklin Graham didn't have the resources, the infamy, and the drive to spread hate around the world. And it is an indeed a pity that Franklin Graham will be able to use this man's death to further his aims. In that respect, I'm sorry that Billy Graham is dead. But death is inevitable.

16. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

macpro2000

So you probably don't think LGBT issues are mental disorders either?

17. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

No, it's not a mental disorder (and BLM is "legit"). What's your point?

18. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

macpro2000

lol, you sure know your stuff.

19. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Yeah, most don't. Because they aren't. You're in the minority there buddy.

20. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

It's as if the responses here are almost predictable.

Someone died. They had a family. I would hope when I eventually pass that people have enough dignity to at least show some respect as human beings regardless of political views. You people are too caught up in something you aren't going to change (not with that attitude you won't!). Many here are disgusting human beings with classless responses.

21. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Liberal blood lust is always entertaining.

22. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Indeed. Just find it odd how they pick and choose who it's ok to go after once someone has passed.

23. bunnspecial macrumors 604

bunnspecial

What we have here is the death of a man who lived a long and fulfilling life and brought comfort and wholeness to-by some estimates-millions of people.

I fully admit to being an Evangelical Christian, and I trust that the Rev. Graham has gone on to receive his just reward. To me, his loss is simultaneously sad but also joyous.

Regardless of your personal feelings, however, can we not recognize the good that this man has done and stop dancing on his grave?

24. 0007776 Suspended

I would say neither liberal nor conservative blood lust is entertaining, it is equally sad and pitiful no matter which side you see doing it.