Billy Graham rule': Safe or sexist?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 27, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/news/billy-graham-rule-safe-or-sexist-233903691.html
    the #metoo movement might costing women opportunities..... I don't blame the guy for taking precautions.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. LordVic macrumors 603

I don't blame anyone for doing this. should be same all around.

AND IMHO, those who are requesting the 3rd person should be required to provide them, especially if a politician. Rather than refuse outright.

4. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

This guy is doing the right thing. With the way society is, I would never want to be alone with a woman who isn’t my wife. She could falsely accuse me of anything even though my conduct would be above reproach. Definitely not sexist. It’s called being a gentleman.

5. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

And gives one an excuse not to interact professionally with women. Or to not hire them. I worked in hospitals for years. Lots of women there. I never felt worried that I was going to be accused of something. Some of the most professional people I ever worked with.

6. jkcerda, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019

jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Disagree. The women should bring someone they trust
    --- Post Merged, Jul 28, 2019 ---
    That’s great but what if they wait Day a year to make accusations and “both” lost the video ?

7. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Why should it be on the woman if the man is the one who is worried?

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Prime minister Giulio Andreotti never closed the door when a woman entered his office, and his faithful secretary could see (but not hear) anything that happened. He avoided multiple issues for at least 50 years. It’s just smart.

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Fixed post.

10. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

How?

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

If the guy is a predator he can bring in another predator. Now you have two predators vs a lone female ......

12. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Oh good grief! And if the woman brings another woman then they could both be assaulted. Very logical. Also what it implies is that men aren't strong enough to keep themselves from acting like beasts and that women are willy-nilly accusing men of assault for some kind of "fame".

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

See post 9. That should also work, today simple accusations can get you fired

14. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Better than nothing but that's just one type of encounter. Another solution would be to not hire women at all, which is of course troubling to women (and a lot of men too). I guess I've never been in a work environment where this is a thing. I guess I'm not as cynical as I thought.

15. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

All I know that if a see on my roads if I see a lone female hitchhiking to protect myself in this MeToo culture we now live in!

16. Zenithal macrumors G3

I've worked with women for years, too. I have quite a bit of employees who are women right now. Never had this issue and never had to go to such lengths. Then again, I maintain a professional attitude and don't talk about personal things. Ever. I generally presume if a man is accused of doing something that makes a woman uncomfortable, it's because they likely did it and have a history of such. Simply asking a woman if she's married or has a boyfriend at work, while incredibly inappropriate, is not cause to be fired. HR, depending on the organization, may want to speak with you and ask you not to ask personal questions, but for the life of me I can't imagine that being a fire-able offense let alone an accusatory offense that would "slime" a person's reputation.

If the issue at hand is that "women lie" then I don't see how or why Weinstein or Cosby should be facing prison time. Who knows if their accusers are even telling the truth. Unfortunately, when the MeToo movement did start, there was a lot of whataboutism from both sides of the political spectrum.

The most personal I've gotten with an employee was gifting them Angels memorabilia for their then young son because I knew people at the Angels who could get me memorabilia signed by players.

Edit: Dodgers suck.

17. 556fmjoe macrumors 68000

556fmjoe

It's an absolutely appropriate way of conducting oneself.

18. acorntoy macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

If your straight it technically would be the safest thing to do, however at the same time it seems inherently sexist to assume the man or women couldn’t control themselves in such a situation. In most scenarios the situation would not bring up a problem and therefore having a “rule” in place seems a bit over the top.

19. jerwin macrumors 68020

It's the next best thing to relegating women to the kitchen.

20. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I feel like society is really regressing. Men and women are terrified of each other right now.

21. jerwin macrumors 68020

The Billy Graham rule only "works" because women are not allowed to be "senior" preachers in his particular theological tradition.

22. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't get that from the article at all. People with power or political presence are afraid of accusations that can spread quickly in an era of widespread social media and 24 hour news networks. It's quite different from being afraid of the opposite sex. The only reason these guys wouldn't apply the same rule to other men is that they aren't afraid of accusations with similar (potential) consequences.

24. Jensend macrumors regular

Looking at the timeframe, it looks like it’s impossible for this rule to be a reaction to #metoo.
    Also, the reasoning given doesn’t mention a fear of being accused. Is he lying about his reasoning?