Birth Control Maker "Oops our bad"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, May 30, 2018.

1. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Pa...irth-control-pill-recall-in-US-484068761.html

"MADISON, N.J. (AP) — Allergan is voluntarily recalling packs of its birth control pills in the U.S. because of a packaging error with placebos, increasing the possibility of unintended pregnancy."

I wonder if you can return the fallout of their mistake as well? I would hope they would chip in a little of the kids college fund at the very least...

2. Fugabutacus macrumors regular

In before the "it's a woman's choice if she gets pregnant" crowd still think it's the woman's fault for daring to ever having sex in her life and she should have to carry to term.

3. Septembersrain macrumors 68040

Septembersrain

As a woman who got pregnant while on a pill, they should pay the full 18 years of bills. My son even passed away 3 months later and who knows what those pills might have played a role with in his death.

This isn't just a tiny oops. This is a give birth or get an abortion oops. Might have birth defects or worse oops. That's pretty severe.

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Incredible such a mistake could happen. This is like the one thing you have to get right with birth control packaging. Thankfully it was only sample medication and not a particularly popular one at that. The placebo pills being misordered technically wouldn’t be the end of the world in many situations, however where this mistake leads to failure... I would expect some high dollar pay outs.

I find it ridiculous they spin this as a “voluntary recall”.

5. Septembersrain macrumors 68040

Septembersrain

Right? Voluntary was them getting this particular pill. That's it.

The pill I used to take was discontinued but wasn't widely popular at the time. Who knows how many times this has really happened...

I wish I could remember all the info on it but I just remember when I stopped, a while after I gave birth I got the Mirena.

They deserve whatever is coming to them, this company.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yeh because most pregnancies are caused by packaging errors by birth control manufacturers.

7. 0007776 Suspended

She should carry to term, but the company that messed up should be responsible for medical bills and some form of child support.

8. jerwin macrumors 68020

I'm guessing that sample packs are typically given out to patients just starting out, and not necessarily clued into the fact that placebos (the 4 differently colored ones) coincide with ones period.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm609044.htm

9. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I’d be curious to know if you ever do find out. My condolences for your loss, that is terrible.

I’d also like to say as a pharmacist I’m so tired of these stupid female-oriented-sounding brand names they assign to birth control products.

10. sim667 macrumors 65816

What if the woman doesn't want the child? No form of child support will make up for the fact she has to give up her life to cover a companies cock up.

11. 0007776 Suspended

Give it up for adoption. Then she doesn’t have to give up her life.

12. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I take it you’ve never been pregnant? I hear those 9 months are a real non-life-disrupting cakewalk. :rolleyes:

13. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

mr brother partner had their 2nd child while she was on pill.
    their first was an accident when condom split, he now 11 years old.

those 9 months not easy to go thru especially if it's not the plan.

not saying that this company not in wrong but birth control 2 way street.
    The male side needs take precautions too.

14. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

Right?! Thank god abortions are available :) and how weird that some men (and fewer women) campaign against the right to have abortions. Doesn’t matter if only 1 case of packaging errors caused a pregnancy. Since we now know it happens the right for abotions should be possible for all

15. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I’m so sorry for your loss. I can’t imagine what you went through.
    When my wife and I were trying the first time, the doctor said that she should get off the pill and I should use condoms for a few months because you don’t want to get pregnant while the birth control is still
    In your system. So I understand why you would suspect that this might have been the cause of his passing.

16. sim667 macrumors 65816

"Oh...... Just give it up for adoption"

Because that doesn't cause mental stress, nor does carrying a baby you weren't ready to have for nine months, and the complications that go with it.

17. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Tell the guy to use a condom. Birth control isn't solely the responsibility of the woman, ya know. If a neither side wants kids, the guy needs to get a raincoat for his little soldier before he marches in to action.

18. jerwin, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018

jerwin macrumors 68020

https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehea...regnancy/pdf/Family-Planning-Methods-2014.pdf
    Spermicide: 28 pregnancies per 100 women in a year
    The "Rhythm" method: 24 pregnancies per 100 women in a year
    Withdrawal: 22 pregnancies per 100 women in a year
    Female condom: 21 pregnancies per 100 women in a year
    Male condom: 18 pregnancies per 100 women in a year
    Pill: 9 pregnancies per 100 women in a year
    IUD: 0.8 pregnancies per 100 women in a year
    Vasectomy: 0.15 pregnancies per 100 women in a year
    Implant: 0.05 pregnancies per 100 women in a year

Of course, the vasectomy is hard to reverse, IUDs are expensive, and the condoms do protect against sexually transmitted diseases.

19. IWantItThatWay Suspended

I don't like this argument. There is only ONE person who controls a woman's uterus - the woman herself (obviously not counting rape).

Isn't that the whole point about being "pro-choice?" Is that it's the woman's body?
    --- Post Merged, May 31, 2018 ---
    There is only one person that control's a woman's uterus.

It's HER body, not his (not counting rape obviously).

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's my sperm. It is also my responsibility to protect myself from STD's.

21. IWantItThatWay Suspended

It's her body. She controls what goes in it. The man has nothing to do with it.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'm pretty sure I control where the sperm goes.

23. IWantItThatWay Suspended

How can you do that unless she didn't give consent?

You can't put it in a woman unless she allows you to, you do realize that right? Otherwise that's called rape.

24. CPTmom2wp macrumors 6502

CPTmom2wp

So......using that logic, "the man" also has no responsibility for child support.

25. IWantItThatWay Suspended

It's her body. Her choice. Roe v. Wade established that.