Bishop gets caught having relationship with an Adult. Resigns.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by niuniu, Jun 27, 2012.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How nice. Diddle a woman, we'll let you resign. Diddle a kid, we'll cover it up.

2. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Just in case there's any disbelief that it was actually an adult..

[​IMG]

3. Andeavor macrumors 6502

These archaic institutions need to loosen up a little.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

In any other dimension, this would be an Onion story.

5. mscriv, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I don't get why people are upset about stories like this. The Bishop is clearly in the wrong on this one and the Catholic church is simply enforcing their policies. People are free to disagree with the church's stance on priests being able to marry or the church's stance on premarital sex. But, you can't say that those who make the choice to be a priest didn't know what they were getting into. Hey, I'm a Protestant so I'm all in favor of ministers being able to marry, but that's not how it works for Catholics.

This man made the choice to be a priest knowing that meant celibacy. He then broke that commitment and when the truth was revealed he lied to cover it up. The way to handle the situation with integrity would have been to step down from his position in the church, explain that he had fallen in love with someone, and pursued marriage. If he's turned his back entirely on what he believes about premarital sex then he could just step down, forego the marriage thing, and pursue a relationship with this woman.

In any employment situation you can't break company policies, get busted, lie to cover it up, then come clean, and not expect their to be consequences.

I get it that people are still upset with the Catholic church about the child abuse that occurred, but at least this time they are acting in a consistent way with what they profess to believe. It would be worse if they didn't accept his resignation, put him through some kind of rehabilitation program, and then restored him to his position. That would send the message that they are not willing to truly stand behind anything they claim to believe.

6. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Don't think anyone's upset. The Catholic and its followers are there for mockery only ;)

7. Queso macrumors G4

Oh good. Another reminder about the messed-up priorities of Vatican Inc.

I hope he's breathing a big sigh of relief, finds another job and gets on with having a normal life rather than the warped alternative dictated by Ratz and Co. And good luck to him I say.

8. remmy macrumors 6502a

Agree, he looks quite happy in that photo.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

And she looks quite feminine. :D

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I wonder if they ever got it on while he was wearing his big hat. Or if she ever snuck under his robes and gave him some enlightenment. (edit) Or late at night on the alter!

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Very good post, and I take your point, mscriv, for it is entirely logical (and, objectively, I agree with you). However, I also see where the OP is coming from, having posted this.

I was raised a Catholic (although I no longer regard myself as anything remotely resembling such and haven't for decades) in a country which used to seep a version of Catholicism from the very pores of the state.

The OP is entirely correct to post this, and rdowns has made a very good point with regard to perceived deviance from preached values.

While celibacy is a rule which it is expected that ordained priests will adhere to, the swift rejection of those who transgress the rule of celibacy with a consenting adult (especially if the consenting adult is a mere sinful woman) strikes me as a lot more rapid, vicious and comprehensive in its application than, let us say, the official reaction to repellant crimes such as the rape of children, where, traditionally, the first instinct of the ecclesiastical organisation has been to move the offender to another parish, institution or diocese, and protect the institution (and the perpetrator) while, on occasion, actually punishing the victim.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

...I don't see any issue with him having a relationship. Why did he have to resign?

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Because (ordained Catholic) priests are supposed to be celibate and to foreswear intimate sexual relationships with anyone.

14. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Do you think she receives the host with her tongue out, or uses her hands? :confused:

15. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

That would be challenging. I would be very surprised if any priest actually achieves this.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He's a Bishop ahead of his time, unfortunately. ;)

Attached Files:

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers.

18. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

"why else would she be there?"

Said what character on which 80's sitcom?

19. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I think the word you are searching for is hypocrisy.

I also was raised Catholic. And even consider myself one right now, but mostly for the belief in god. But I can no longer see with respect the Catholic Church after so many stupid and horrible things they have made lately.

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, I know the word "hypocrisy", and am fully aware of what it means in such a context. Here, I think we may be looking more at the idea of a double standard; such a concept is more flexible, and considerably more rewarding....

21. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Well, yes. Exactly. People are really pissed off about the child abuse stuff, and rightly so. I think in a way, the double standard the Catholic Church is using here, is showing them from their worst side. The fact that they systematically conspired to cover up the rape of children to protect the "integrity" of their organization, while outing this bishop for having a (presumably) healthy relationship with a grown woman because it somehow breaks one of their rules is disgusting in my opinion.

Now, of course, one can discuss the archaic practice of celibacy in Catholisism, but I think the double standard (as mentioned) is the thing to focus on here.

22. Queso macrumors G4

Indeed. And of course if it appears that the worse the sexual digression the larger the cover up one has to wonder what the hell else they get up to on the quiet in Vatican Inc. that we don't know about...

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Did you miss the lime pits in your tour of the Vatican??

Too bad. Aces.

:D

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's the Catholic Church's right to make rules as it sees fit, but can anyone name one good reason why Priests need to observe celibacy? Any reason. Does God or the Bible promote it? Does anyone actually think God gave us the mammal's need to reproduce, but not expect us to, just to test us? Most normal people don't choose celibacy. Priests at one time could be married. How much confidence would you have getting marriage counseling from a person who has never been married and is locked into a particular dogma?

Lol, guys!