BitTorren works over 56k modem but not school network via ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by motulist, Feb 17, 2004.

1. motulist Suspended

motulist

I tried running BitTorrent at home and it works fine. I go to school to use their big pipes via my ethernet and it does not work. It never finds the trackers or connects to any peers. Is there a setting I need to put in somewhere? A setting in network preferences? A setting in BitTorrent? A moc os security setting? I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Your school has most likely blocked access. Most schools I know of do this. You're probably out of luck.

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    unis are serious about p2p now, they firewall almost everything and block a ton of ports can are used for gaming and chats. so unless u get cozy with the admin or learn to bypass the system you will just have to learn not to p2p.

oh the pain. but ur uni may have a internal p2p network set up by students under the unis noes

4. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

g/f has a amusing senario at her uni, they only unblock ports if you request them specficilly and which ports to unblock... that stops the good 70-80% of people at the uni with access (as most dont know what ports are and the rest dont know what ports). I just gave her a list of ports and said take them to the network guys, and they did it.

Strange place.