Bizarre behaviour of new ssd. Fast startup, but very slow operation and constant bea

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timalive, May 30, 2015.

1. timalive macrumors newbie

Hope someone here has the answer!
    I bought a new OWC SSD and replaced my old hdd in my MBP 9,2 (mid 2012) 13 inch with it.
    It is slow and often just hangs (the dreaded beachball). So much so that in the interim i am going to have to go back to the old one. But some other strange things:
    • boot up process doesnt seem to take long
    • if i run blackmagic speed test (and leave it running in background) the problem doesn't exhibit and the computer is lightning fast

What can be the problem??

The procedure i used to replace the hdd:
    • created a new partition on an external hdd and used carbon copier to clone the hdd
    • replaced the hdd with ssd and booted from external
    • cloned it back to internal ssd and booted from ssd
    • system preferences > startup disk changed to ned ssd and rebooted

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Try a fresh install without cloning anything back.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

So the cloning procedure looks good, thats exactly how I setup my SSD originally and when I changed it since.

Look in Activity Monitor, see what is using CPU, an SSD won't speed up all processes on your machine, if they aren't using lots of disk access then not much speed increase in that app.

Check for spotlighting, likely you are re-indexing the drive too as it has changed, as to why you don't get the issue with BM running - thats an odd one as that <should> be saturating the disk read/write channels which <should> mean not much left for anything else. I guess that BM loaded inhibits Spotlight indexing in some way but in the background BM isn't actually testing the disk...but that is guessing on my part.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you have FileVault enabled, there you go. FileVault does not play well with SSDs that have a SandForce controller, because SF controllers don't handle incompressible data well. But either way, it shouldn't really affect your performance this way.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Just swapped the 64GB SSD in my 2012 MBA for a 128GB one, the 64GB Apple SSD stated Toshiba Sandforce on it...are they suspect then?

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

To be totally honest, the OWC drives are expensive for what you get. Sandforce controllers aren't exactly top performers and they have issues with compressible data(as someone else already noted). I'd return it and buy a Samsung 850 Evo or Crucial MX200.

7. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

I hate to agree with you for the posters sake, but I have not heard the best things about their SSD drives. Now granted on forums you are going to hear more bad than good stories and every product will have a few bad oranges lol. But if you can I would return it for a Samsung Evo 850. I have the 840 in my gaming rig running the OS and GTA V and its a champ.

8. sir.riel macrumors member

what did you format the drive to? and I would go with a fresh install.

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

In incompressible operations, yes. The I/O performance would suffer a drop, but not too noticeable in daily usage.

10. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Cool. I was a bit surprised the OEM came up as Sandforce :-(