Bizarre Piercing

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This has popped up in social media and I did not see a post here about it. Personally I can't believe it. It seems like a health issue and what about constructive surgery when you are tired of the look?

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
This has popped up in social media and I did not see a post here about it. Personally I can't believe it.
A foole and his monie be soone at debate,
which after with sorrow repents him too late.
-Thomas Tusser (1557)

I have to ask if this has been verified? You can do anything with Photoshop.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Future Mainstream: stretched labret. :p

I found this article: "New trend in Portland": A made-up story for ad clicks, Facebook likes, or maybe just the lolz. It appears that the story is made up regarding a "new trend in portland", but that the piercings are real. I saw the original posted on Facebook, which is mentioned in this article. Of note, it's not an open hole, but clear plastic and that usually these types of piercings are opaque, but still...

Here is a picture called "New trend in Portland" telling you to "share if you think this is nuts". It appeared on my Facebook feed this morning after a friend shared it from a page called Power 104.3, who posted it on 11th Jan 2014. It's been shared 62,205 times at the time I'm writing this.

But there's surprisingly little else on the internet for it. Surprising for a "trend", right?

Here is a video by star999radio on Youtube, called "The New Trend In Portland". It features a presenter filming reactions of his office colleagues as he shows them the picture above. This was apparently shared "1 day ago" (very specific, Youtube). On the video page it has 1,597 views, but the search results show just 131 views, which suggests this is being viewed rapidly at the moment. If you search "new trend in portland", it is the only video on the subject. (Update: The video page now shows 1,708 views since I started writing this post.)
It's worth noting the piercings shown are clear glass/perspex stretchers, not an open hole, which many people think (see comments on Power 104.3's post such as "how do they eat??!1") thanks to poor quality JPGs.
Edit: a friend has just pointed out that labret stretchings are common - see these image search results - but usually with coloured plugs. Therefore these images might easily just be people swapping their plug for a ring, just for the camera, or for laughs.

Last edited:

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Those people are just trying to express their individuality.

And their individual stupidity.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I know a lot of people are gung-ho about being individuals and trying to be the newest craziest thing. I have one friend who constantly talks down about people with stupid tattoos and how tattoos are art, while she herself has some of the stupidest tattoos I've ever seen.

But this? If this is real, this is just ridiculous. I can't imagine how uncomfortable that would be, if food falls out of it while they're eating, if saliva dribbles down their chin.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I know a lot of people are gung-ho about being individuals and trying to be the newest craziest thing. I have one friend who constantly talks down about people with stupid tattoos and how tattoos are art, while she herself has some of the stupidest tattoos I've ever seen.

But this? If this is real, this is just ridiculous. I can't imagine how uncomfortable that would be, if food falls out of it while they're eating, if saliva dribbles down their chin.
My understanding is that normally it is not left open like that but plugged with a plastic disk. See the link "stretched lebret" a few posts back for examples.

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
These days, people don't like to hire piercings.

It isn't because they're unqualified, but because people are stupid.
Yeah man, I just got turned down for a job at IBM because I wasn't wearing sock garters...

There's nothing necessarily stupid about piercings, and I don't even have any, no dog in this fight for me.

EDIT: Oops, you're agreeing with me. Got it. :)

Renzatic

Suspended
Right, because a weird piercing automatically makes you unable to perform adequately at a decent job...?
More like being able to see inside someone's face like that could freak out your potential customers.

The big ear hoops I can understand. Even though there's no way in hell I'd get one myself, I can at least see some aesthetic value in them. But these? They're kinda ****ing nasty looking.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah man, I just got turned down for a job at IBM because I wasn't wearing sock garters...

There's nothing necessarily stupid about piercings, and I don't even have any, no dog in this fight for me.

EDIT: Oops, you're agreeing with me. Got it. :)
I've never understood the idea of piercings being bad, really.

Same with tattoos.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Right, because a weird piercing automatically makes you unable to perform adequately at a decent job...?
body mods do speak of the person having them to some extent, and thus depending on the job it might help or hurt their chances.

----------

I've never understood the idea of piercings being bad, really.

Same with tattoos.
depends on there type of piercing and tattoo, and their location