Black Couple Told They Can't Wed In Baptist Church

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jul 28, 2012.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just disgusting. Maybe all the Chick-fil-A fans can stop in for a worship after getting some chicken and waffle fries on CFA Appreciation Day,

Black Couple Told They Can't Wed In Baptist Church

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Completely disgusting...(I upvoted you for your comment not the situation by the way).

More examples of fake Christians :(

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Call me naive but I had no idea things like this still happened in this country. And as for the high percentage of GOP voters who would ban interracial marriage, that really says something about their party. Give me my bible, my gun and my banjo, I'm heading to get me some chick-fil-a

4. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Rdowns, thanks for posting this as it is important that hypocrisy like this is exposed. However, before all the church and Christian bashing starts take a look at this article for a few more details:

Mississippi predominantly white Baptist church closes door to black couple's wedding

The attitude of this church is not reflective of all Christians nor all Baptists. Based on the article I posted it would also appear that it's not even the majority attitude of the church involved. According to the Clarion Ledger, a local newspaper:

Unfortunately this is the ugly side of church politics. Like many other issues in our world sometimes a more vocal or influential minority can exert extreme pressure. The pastor made what he thought was the best decision, but in my opinion he missed the opportunity to stand up for truth and lead his congregation in the right direction. It's really sad and I feel terrible for the couple that had to endure this.

What ticks me off most about junk like this is that it will only serve to further people's misinformed opinion that all followers of Christ are "hypocrites, bigots, full of hate, and discriminatory". I truly feel bad for those in that church that are genuinely seeking after God's will and I hope that they will be able to stand strong in the face of those that oppose them. I hope that new and stronger leadership will step up and stand firm on God's command that we "love one another".

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I think the preacher missed an opportunity to teach the "stupider" part of his congregation.

The wedding should have gone on and let the people who don't like it stew over it. The good people shouldn't have been punished.

I'm a Christian but I don't go to church for these very reasons. Churches generally spread poison and allow hatred to thrive.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

(checks the internet)

Yep. Just like I thought. It's the 21st century.

I agree, the pastor should've told the bigots to **** off.

In more Christian terms, of course.

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

In March, almost 30 percent of likely GOP voters polled said that they thought interracial marriage should be illegal.

It is rather funny, as the gene pool in this country that's in dire need of different DNA, is trying to prevent it. It's like the divergence of humans into two different species in The Time Machine - never thought it would have started in the South. ;)

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Why would they want to be married in a church filled with white people that they were not members of? Obviously black people were not welcomed there. A church isn't a golf club. If this many members are this backwards, find a better class of people in a better church.

9. Happybunny macrumors 68000

After reading the article I had to pinch myself to see if we were still in 2012, and not 1962.
    Mississippi burning it's like it never happened, what is wrong with these people so eaten up with hate and bigotry.:(

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'll put it a different way ... why wasn't it known in the community that this church didn't welcome blacks?

Was this a recent change in attitude amongst some of the congregation? My guess would be no, that it was known to be an intolerant church. That doesn't excuse the act at all. I'm just curious whether other black couples had been married there recently. Maybe all the other churches were booked up and the couple thought they'd just take a chance with the crackers.

11. Queso macrumors G4

I wouldn't normally wish something this direct, but I sincerely hope someone burns that church to the ground.

Something tells me that Yeshua Ben Yosef, were he alive, would actually be the one lighting the match.

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Did anyone else involuntarily twitch with disbelief and rage after reading this?

13. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Wow, great job of blame the victim. I score it a 7 out of 10.

This does raise a great point though. All those Baptists and other so-called "Christians" claiming they'll be forced to marry same-sex couples in their churches?

Nonsense. Churches will always be free to be the hate-preaching cesspools they've always been. That's what they exist for.

14. ender land macrumors 6502a

Just to clarify - this is GOP voters in Mississippi and not necessarily the country as a whole.

Not that it makes it any better for Mississippians, but it's not referring to GOP voters as a whole across the USA.

15. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

In no way was I blaming the victim.

16. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

They attend the Church regularly and there are other black members of the church (or there were).

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

The thing is a real Christian church, which this church is not, welcomes everyone.

Not once did Jesus turn anyone away from his teachings, I'm not sure where this church feels it has the right to do so.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I sense that there's something personal going on here that hasn't come out yet. If there are black members of the church I must assume that there have been black marriages in the past.

What changed?

Is the preacher new?

19. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Sounds like a pretty awesome day to me. Their barbecue and chik-fil-a sauces go hard. Plus waffle fries go great with can plinking and a little ricky skaggs in the background.

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

My poInt exactly. There are plenty of good churches out there they could have gone to. This doesn't mean I think they deserved what they got, I'm just curious as to why they felt this was the type of place they wanted to be part of. It's not like religious, hateful people are the type whose minds u can change. Leave them to their ignorance and find a more welcoming spiritual home.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Ahh, Mississippi. One of the last bastions of the Old South. Don't worry people. I'm sure by 2045, they'll start getting up to speed.

In the meantime, though...don't go to Mississippi.

22. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Re-read your sentence. I think that your DNA should be weeded out of the gene pool.

-

I don't give a damn about what color a person is. I care about what they do. If I were in charge (heh, heh), I'd limit all entitlement programs to 1 year max. You can be a bum, get your welfare, get your medicaid, get your food stamps, or whatever else for 1 total year. After that, no more and never again. You need to work to earn.

Honestly, **** them. I busted my ass and achived, so why should I be expected to pay the way for someone who is a lazy piece of crap? No thank you.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

You think everyone who uses entitlement programs is poor and lazy?..........How blissful that ignorance must be for you.

Surely where you are has nothing to do with the circumstances you were born into (though I imagine you will say you are from a background of poverty to prove this "point" you are trying to make...) or the support of people along the way

In our society, for some to achieve relatively, others will have to struggle.

**** them indeed.:rolleyes:

24. 184550 Guest

Another example of self righteousness.

You're on a roll. Are you related to acidfast7 by chance? Perhaps his reincarnation?

25. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

That's funny. Your text reads exactly like the absolutely ridiculous statement Obama made the other day, when he basically said that anybody who has achieved has only ever achieved because of others, not themselves.

It's the exact thing someone like you, who hasn't achieved, tells themselves in order to rationalize your lackluster and relatively failed performance in life thus far. Hey - it's not too late. You can do something good for yourself. Just quit blaming everyone else and actually take responsibility for yourself.