Black Friday + Edu Disc = New MBP in Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 24jg3520, Nov 27, 2009.

1. 24jg3520 macrumors newbie

Good day folks, long time lurker, first time poster. Thought I'd post to this forum to share my experience with buying my first MAC and try to help those on the fence. Here's my story (I apologize in advance if it's long, but it'll be worth it to many others):

So I get up o'dark thirty this morning and at the local Apple store by 0615. The concierge at the front asks if I had any questions or needed any assistance from one of the geniuses. I tell her no and already know what I want to purchase (spent lots of hours here researching). She shows me to the express line (not really express as I stood there for at least 30 minutes). While in the line, I overhear the check out girl tell another customer that you cannot stack an education discount over the black friday sales price.

I finally get to the front of the line and tell the guy I what I want: 2.8Ghz 15" MBP in matte. Another guy from the back comes to the front with my shiny new white box and proceeds to ring me up. For the hell of it, I ask if I could stack the discounts and tells me, "No" too. Whatever, I tried. He takes out his Ipod Touch and scans the barcode, it comes up with the black friday sales price. He then asks me for my school name, punches it into the touch and it takes my education discount off of the black friday price (somebody tell me that isn't stacking). He gives me the total and I'm not complaining. I give him the cash and I'm outta there. She's charging up now and can't wait to fire her up for the first time.

I don't know if this was a workaround or just their checkout protocol. Whatever it was, call me good or lucky. I repeatedly read around here that this was not possible, some from adamant long time macrumors demigods. I saved up (lots of overtime) and researched this purchase for six months. If any of you are on the fence, drive yourselves over to your local store and give it a shot.

One more thing. While in the store, the wife says, "I'm going to buy me a Mac! It isn't fair that you get to have one. I want a little Apple too!" This is from the lady that I had to convince to buy one and made me save my money to buy it. I think I've got her convinced now and when she gets to play with mine (if I let her) she'll definitely be converted too. She's already agreed to an i7 Imac when the funds become available. In the meantime, I'll be doing some photo and video editing on my new baby. Wait til she sees the final products this thing will produce. I might get that second machine sooner that later.

Cheers, JG

2. Jay28 macrumors newbie

:eek:?! I just bought a MacBook Pro an hour ago and I when I proceeded to check out the customer rep asked me if I was a student and said the black Friday sale will stack with the student discount. Ouch. Too bad you opened it. :\

3. 24jg3520 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jay,

That's what I meant to convey. I got it stacked. Others mentioned previously that Apple would not allow it. This thing is beautiful. I am intimidated by it though because it is my first Apple. I don't even know how to double click this thing. I need to get out of the PC mindset. Enjoy yours, I am!

JG

4. Jay28 macrumors newbie

*chuckles* This was my first Mac also and I had a hard time finding out how to right click. ;)