All iPads Black Friday is making the iPad Mini Retina essentially the same price as ipad air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FrozenDarkness, Nov 21, 2013.

1. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

Target's running a promotion where it's $479 w/ a $100 Target gift card which is pretty amazing. Will this change your mind on which ipad to get?

2. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

you mean making the air close in price to the iPad mini retina?

3. FrozenDarkness thread starter macrumors 65816

4. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

Target is offering a $75 gift card for iPad mini's so the mini is $399 - $75 = $326. Still about $50 less.

If you use your Red Card at Target you also get 5% off.

5. FrozenDarkness thread starter macrumors 65816

i don't think the target deal applies to ipad minis retinas at all and even if it did, that's truly a door buster. the ipad air will be in rampant supply.

6. doboy macrumors 68000

$75 Target gift card deal applies at least for the old mini and it may even apply to the rMini. Although that deal is very tempting, no way in hell I'm going to camp out for hours and hours with no guarantee.

7. FrozenDarkness thread starter macrumors 65816

8. doboy macrumors 68000

If you believe that I got a bridge to sell you.:rolleyes:

9. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

The problem is Target does not have any rMinis, and I doubt if they will have any on Black Friday.

I check everyday as I have a $200 gift card I want to use for my rMini.

10. FrozenDarkness thread starter macrumors 65816

i have confidence man. i go to my local target all the time and ipad airs are supplied up the bonkers. this is the best chance for apple to push ipad airs like there's no tomorrow

11. doboy macrumors 68000

Are you talking about purchasing it beforehand from Target and price matching it on Thanksgiving?

I've seen 16&32 GB rMini in at least two different Target stores in my area.

12. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

The original mini together with a $100 gift card is available on Black Friday for $299 at Walmart. That's a fantastic deal.

13. FrozenDarkness thread starter macrumors 65816

ya walmart gift cards is basically cash

----------

ya that's what i'm saying, and i mean if you weren't planning on lining up what's the risk involved? it either works or it doesn't and you're back in square 1

14. doboy macrumors 68000

I know Best Buy doesn't price match their own Black Friday deals, but not sure about Target.

----------

Especially considering they guarantee for 1 hour.

15. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

It may or may not apply to the retina mini - does not say either way. Some Target stores have the retina mini in stock. I have always bought Target Black Friday deals earlier in the week and gone back on Friday and received a price adjustment. Walmart is not as good about doing this.

I already have my retina mini, but am going to get a regular mini for $284 plus a $75 gift card. $209 net cost for the prior mini is a great deal.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Except the mini will be reduced as well so it's still going to be cheaper.

17. JoeyCloverfield macrumors regular

I managed to get one at my local store, so I think at least some store have them. Their website doesn't reflect that though.

Have you tried calling the store?

18. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

Since people are against buying rMini's due to the color gamut, it's a perfect excuse to lower the model that everyone wants because it doesn't have an issue on it and that way the said retail store would make more, off less.

Hope they order extra stock, because the iPad Air's will be one of the first thing people get in fist fights over. The others would be being that 85" flat-screen 3DHD TV and things that are allowed to be bought with food stamps.

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

don't let the echo chamber effect distort your perception of reality.

Yes, there are a number of people here on MacRumors who have their undergarments in disarray over the smaller color gamut of the mini and rmini relative to the Air. Yes, it makes a real difference for some people, especially if they intended to do color critical work on the device.

However, pretty much the rest of the world just doesn't care. That's if they even notice a difference.

20. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

According to Target's Price match guarantee, they will not be price matching for previously purchased iPads.

"Ad exclusions:

Items advertised as limited time/limited supply/limited quantity.
    Black Friday ads (including adjusting prices for previously purchased items).
    Pricing or typographical errors."

21. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

It's just the fantasy-land on MacRumors where people are against buying rMinis due to the color gamut. The rest of the real world is fine with it. The rMinis are very hard to get!

22. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Actually the same scenario at BB. People have no choice but to return what they bought to get the BF price which to me is ridiculous as it causes open boxes and my local BB already has more than I think they would care to have currently.

23. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I have been calling almost daily. They have gotten in a couple 16g in Space Gray. They are holding them for Black Friday, but if a customer wants one, they will sell it to them. I want a 32g so will hold out until they eventually get them.

24. doboy macrumors 68000

Yeah, but I guess it won't be fair to others who are waiting in line and people will just buy them up before they go on sale.

----------

Thanks! I thought it would be similar to Best Buy.

25. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Addressing the original question, no, these promotions won't influence my decision, even if they do turn out to be available for the Air but not the retina mini. I chose the mini because I prefer a more portable form factor, not because of the price. I would guess on a board like this, populated largely by enthusiasts, most other people who've chosen the retina mini have done so for that reason as well. There's also the matter that the savings are only available to those looking for the base model.

That deal on the original mini sure is tempting though.