Black Friday now in UK?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gkarris, Dec 10, 2014.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The Brits gave public drunkenness a bad name. Now they'll do the same for Black Friday.

3. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

4. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

5. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

I never heard of this before - is this the first year?

I thought UK sales were on Boxing Day...

6. Mildredop macrumors 68020

7. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I mean the video is old. I think it's only this year the British started acting like Americans.

This has not happened in Canada yet miraculously. No such incident reported during Black Fridays, I guess the deals sucked.

8. sim667 macrumors 65816

No we didn't, we excelled at it.

It is our national sport after all.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

And public drunkeness had a good reputation before?

Thanksgiving is not an official British holiday. However, due to the fact that there are tens of thousands of expatriate Americans living there, plus probably hundreds of thousands of Brits who either have family in the US, or have lived there - the holiday itself is quite well known. Some of the larger department stores are even starting to stock small amounts of Thanksgiving merchandise - although its usually of the "Turkey" nature. The buckle-hatted figures we associate with the Pilgrims would remind Brits of the bloody and tumultuous religious wars of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.

And Bits of all social classes love an excuse to have a big meal and have a bit of a booze-up. So Thanksgiving, imported or otherwise, makes a good reason to invite people over to eat a roasted bird and start the holiday season in style.

My mother, who has lived in the UK for the past fourteen years, hosts an annual Thanksgiving feast for 28 at a Dorset manor house belonging to some friends of hers. People travelled from as far as Edinburgh and Amsterdam to attend, and invitations are discretely sought all year. The biggest problem is usually finding an Aga oven big enough to accommodate the turkey. And since Thanksgiving nicely coincides with the release of the famed French Beaujolais nouveau, one enterprising fellow makes it his mission to personally obtain a case or two to provide liquid refreshment for the table.

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Here in the Netherlands no physical store had a Black Friday, but online stores did, and did very good business.

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

It was the first year I'd see it here tbh.

Asda seemed to be the most prominent, but of course its owned by walmart :rolleyes:

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I can easily see retailers around the world cashing in on a gimmic that generates more revenue. :)

Where was that video, a Walmart where? I did Black Friday 2 years ago at a Best Buy in Houston and there were a couple hundred people, but not this kind of a mob. Besides you can do just as well online now.